YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Engine swap thread, need help (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/engine-swap-thread-need-help-238644/)

dbole 07-24-2011 12:26 PM

Engine swap thread, need help

I am in middle of swapping out 3.4 v6 from a 98 4runner into a 97 4runner. The issue I am having right now is that I cannot seem to get the oil cooler pipe nuts loose. I am afraid that I may bust them off or strip them, then be in real big trouble. Any ideas or suggestions? I am thinking of just cutting a pipe section off each one, then replacing that with high strength hose when I put the new motor in. also, I am wondering, do I need to take off the 4x4 drive shaftfrom the transfer case? The FSM doesnt say anythign about this, but I am looking at it, seems like I might need to. What are the pros and cons of using a tranny jack or regular jack? Any and all help would be appreciated, and I will post pics soon of where I am so far. This has been a learning experience for me and I want to do it right.
Thanks

dbole 07-27-2011 01:48 PM

1 Attachment(s)
here is it so far

vital22re 07-27-2011 01:59 PM

? why are you removing the oil cooler off the block? leave the transmission in the runner and just unbolt the bellhousing bolts,
remove radiator
remover heater hoses at firewall
remove 4 motor mount bolts
remove the engine harness from the fire wall by disconnecting it from ecu and body harness inside the runner on passenger side.
remove the throttle cable, kickdown cable if its auto, cruise control cable
disconnect the transmission side of the engine harness from the transmission
If its auto unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate

at this point it should pop out with minimal effort, a cherry picker and a couple of buddies

wii_tarded 07-27-2011 02:35 PM

^^what he said. What oil "pipes" are you talking about?

dbole 07-27-2011 05:08 PM

IU am following the FSM and it says to unbolt the oil cooler pipes that run along the passnger side of the transmission and motor to the front. From the looks of it, I need to at least unbolt the clamps from the engine holding the pipes in place. I unhooked all the solenoid connectors from the tranny , as the FSM said. This is my first swap , so was following the manual, lol. Thanks for the help and will just leave the pipes as is.

dbole 08-06-2011 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by vital22re (Post 51760461)
? why are you removing the oil cooler off the block? leave the transmission in the runner and just unbolt the bellhousing bolts,
remove radiator
remover heater hoses at firewall
remove 4 motor mount bolts
remove the engine harness from the fire wall by disconnecting it from ecu and body harness inside the runner on passenger side.
remove the throttle cable, kickdown cable if its auto, cruise control cable
disconnect the transmission side of the engine harness from the transmission
If its auto unbolt the torque converter from the flex plate

at this point it should pop out with minimal effort, a cherry picker and a couple of buddies

I am leaving the transmission in the truck, but the FSM says to unhook all the electrical connectors on it, and also what is the engine harness you talk about removing from the transmission?
Thanks

sdsurfer 09-14-2011 09:48 PM

how is your swap coming along? is it running yet?

dbole 01-18-2012 08:25 AM

The engine swap is done, not after some headaches and learning curves. One thing I learned from this is when you swap an engine, use the wiring harness from the original truck you swapped the engine out of. I swapped my 98 engine into the 97 truck and used the 98 wiring harness and it wouldnt start. When I swapped the 97 wiring harness back into the 98 engine, everything ran great. I had to also replace the calipers as both were frozen. Going to rebuild the 97 engine with the blown HG and then have it as a spare motor when I need it.