Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Don't ignore your Zerk fittings! (I did)

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2010, 08:49 PM

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts
I have the logs from 1989, (I lost the Oct 87-oct 89 log in a snow storm) .... every and all gas, oil, parts etc. fly farts near truck I log it, been a godsend at times.
Old 10-09-2010, 10:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That log book looks similar to mine... everything down to gas fill-ups are documented.

I use this grease at all zerks: Amsoil Series 2000 Synthetic Racing Grease, NLGI #2, GC/LB (GRG)
Old 10-09-2010, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are the zerk fittings replaceable? I saw some at the auto store that screw in. Everytime I try to force the grease gun on it wont fit over the Zerk fitting. I know they havent been used in awhile.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by rjaudi
Are the zerk fittings replaceable? I saw some at the auto store that screw in. Everytime I try to force the grease gun on it wont fit over the Zerk fitting. I know they havent been used in awhile.
Yes they are, you just have to disconnect the drive line to get them out and in. They are metric threads...not sure of the specific size and thread pitch.

Typically, I've found worn zerks to cause a loose connection.
You may just have a really tight fit on your grease coupler until it gets worn in or a chunk of rock or dirt in the coupler opening.
Old 10-09-2010, 04:15 PM
Contributing Member

Zerks are replaceble, but there are different fitting sizes I think on the end that gets screwed in. They should be a same universale size on the end you attach the grease gun to right?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
They should be a same universale size on the end you attach the grease gun to right?
Yes, at least for passenger automotive purposes.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:46 AM

On the subject of appropriate grease for the driveline:

I've been using Mobil 1 grease for a good long while. No issues have showed up that I'm aware of, but I'm wondering if there's any issue with using the Mobil 1 grease.

Thanks,
MadCityRich
Old 10-11-2010, 10:06 AM

Here is what I placed in my yokes 2+ years ago. No more clunk. I found it at a local industrial rental shop. Cheaper from the link. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic everywhere else, that is, until the cartridge leaks and the grease becomes worthless:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/29...omotive_Grease

Valvoline's grease is supposed to work well also. It can be found at NAPA or AAP:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/63...210_grease?s=1

From the good folks at tundrasolutions. Same problem, same solution.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...e-drive-shaft/
Old 10-11-2010, 10:22 AM

I grease both drive shafts, the ball joints, and the turn stops every time I change the oil. Makes a big difference. Just pump till a bit of grease comes out. If the bottom of your truck isn't covered in grease, you're probably not doing it enough
Old 10-11-2010, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by J2F42C
Here is what I placed in my yokes 2+ years ago. No more clunk. I found it at a local industrial rental shop. Cheaper from the link. I used the Mobil 1 synthetic everywhere else, that is, until the cartridge leaks and the grease becomes worthless:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/29...omotive_Grease

Valvoline's grease is supposed to work well also. It can be found at NAPA or AAP:

http://www.drillspot.com/products/63...210_grease?s=1

From the good folks at tundrasolutions. Same problem, same solution.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forum...e-drive-shaft/
Great thread. I have been using gen purpose NLGI2 grease, but will switch to the Moly based grease immediately.
Thanks for the links. Just ordered the Mobil stuff. They don't have any grease with Moly at my local AAP.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM

you guys rock! I knew if I got the word Zerks in a thread title you guys would be all over it!

$4.58 shipped you are talking my language mr J2F42c I will get it ordered to motivate me to go out and get the grease gun.

Hook a brotha up to an inexpensive gun? Harbor Freight?
Old 10-11-2010, 02:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Hey Ron,

O'riely is still trying to clear all the older(MUCH BETTER STUFF IMHO, lol) from their stores in end-cap basket shelves.... I got an extra one for a buddy there, Powerbuilt, and a Bearing Packing tool, both for 15$.... Also got a 32 LED KILLER flashlight(3D) and picks, super long screwdrivers, air tool bits, etc., for like another 25$!!! Might wanna check it out. They're stuff is cheap enough and has a lifetime guarantee, even on the clearance stuff. Just a thought...

Mark
Old 10-11-2010, 02:58 PM

thanks Mark I have not been in that place in a while-I am going over there
Old 10-11-2010, 03:07 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sure, Ron,

I know Pep Boys and others have sales, as well, and I bet if you just shop their 'circular weekly specials' (or monthly, whatever, lol) you could find a place having a sale, ya know? I got like 600$ worth of Powerbuilt tools and other things for about 100$ before they cycled out the powerbuilt stuff. I know it's not Crafstman, ...Snap On, etc...but dang if the ones I've had for 20 years have NEVER broken, ..while my craftsman have! lol.(got all my Craftsman and Mac tools stolen with my rig years ago...THOUSANDS, so I just went with Powerbuilt... I think Pep Boys still uses them, and I've NEVER had one of their tools break on me, once!(Powerbuilt that is, lol). Heck, i even saw a grease gun kit with a flex hose and everything at Big Lots(some states it's called McFrugals, Pic'n'save, etc..)
Old 10-12-2010, 07:05 AM

I just greased all my zerks yesterday, and I only used one kind of grease on all of them. This is what is in my grease gun....

http://www.drillspot.com/products/63...erature_grease

After reading this, I realize that I need to use the moly grease. Is it going to hurt anything that I used the non-moly?
Old 10-12-2010, 07:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The post below is an excellent post from someone who seems to know what he's talking about (this is from the tundrasolutions link posted above). The question posed was: "Can I just use a moly grease on everything, and not just on the specified moly zerks?"

Moly additized greases are excellent lubricants,however, should only be used in limited applications as the moly can actually cause early failures in most uses. Never, ever use a moly additized grease in a wheel bearing or universal joint application. Moly additized greases are primarily indicated only where extreme pressure sliding action occurs. When Moly is used in non-friction bearings the moly causes accelerated surface degradation (frosted mug appearance) of the rolling surfaces and premature bearing/race failure. The moly is actually harder than the hardened bearing surface and does not crush when the bearing rolls over it. In universal joints, in addition to surface failure, the moly centrifuges to the extremes of the bearing, blocking oil flow, causing accelerated bearing end wear.
If a single grease is being considered a non-moly grease is the safest primary recommendation. The use of both moly/non-moly specific for sliding/bearings application is ideal.
I currently have 5 failed universal joints sitting on my lab table with very low time; all were regularly greased with a moly additized grease and each failed due to the use of the moly grease.
George Morrison
Old 10-12-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by pendrag
The post below is an excellent post from someone who seems to know what he's talking about (this is from the tundrasolutions link posted above). The question posed was: "Can I just use a moly grease on everything, and not just on the specified moly zerks?"

Thanks for that quote! I assume my non-moly grease will be fine in the slip yoke....but in the future, I need to get a second gun. Sounds like moly is a huge no-no for the u-joints.
Old 10-12-2010, 08:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
microsoft excel spreadsheet for me! log anything done to the rigs....

thanks for starting this thread, I've been neglecting mine because I haven't taken the time to fix my old grease gun, I have a half full stick 'o lube stuck in it (the cardboard) that is going to be a nightmare to remove. I did buy a second gun too, glad to see others did that as well, wasn't sure if it was worth having 2 greaseguns.....
Old 10-12-2010, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
BTW: Thanks for the heads up at O'Reilly's. They had this pistol-style grease gun on sale for $14.99 down from $19.99, which seems like a decent deal. They only had one, though, and I want to go back and pick up another one later this week.
Old 10-20-2010, 07:42 AM

okay now I am a bit confused as I just went to dealership on the lube oil filter special and they state only 2 zerk fittings. I was under impression there were quite a few more to be greased up? Guess I am going to be crawling under there to find out!

Good info on the moly additive grease and the link above did lead me to buy the Mobil 1 with moly. Sounds like I need to be sure to use that only on sliding parts and not bearing parts have I summarized correctly?

Waited too long on the grease gun my local O'Reillys (used to be a Checker) is out. Any other Colo guys know of a flexy fitting gun for a good price that will accomodate full tube size grease? I'd rather spend closer to $15 than over $20....

Quick Reply: Don't ignore your Zerk fittings! (I did)