Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does anybody have Nerf bars on their 4runner?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2003, 08:00 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does anybody have Nerf bars on their 4runner?

I'm considering these. I have a steal of a deal from a member here pending. I'm just not exactly sure yet. I am in debt so if im gonna buy something for my car, i want to make sure it's gonna be worth while (in other words, worthful spending).

I have a 95 4runner. I am looking to buy black smittybilts.

here's a current picture of my truck

not that my car no longer has the bugflector on it.

are these worth it or do they just get in the way?

thanks for any input
Old 03-22-2003, 08:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
L33,

Depends. I really don't have a problem getting into my 4Runner w/o the Xterra step tubes I modified to fit my 4runner, but my wife does. Awhile back, I took the stock RBs off and she always complained how difficult it was. My friends said the same. Thus, I fab'd the Xterra step tubes.

Off roading, I'd take them off.

So what I'm saying is make sure that the Smittys are easily removed when you want to take your 4runner on the trails.

Hey, where abouts are you in So Cal? I'm guessing by the style of houses...maybe somewhere in the San Gabriel Valley? I'm in Glendale.

Bob
Old 03-22-2003, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

I live in fountain valley, i'm sure you know where that is.

My grandma lives a mile off the 405 at the artisa offramp, in torrance. do you know where that is?

as for the nerf bars, i dont go on teh trails at all. parents wont let me as i am only 17 and the car is still in their name. that will all change soon though as i turn 18 in 25 days

do you know of any trails that are 4x2 friendly and only like 30 minutes away?

do you mind if i ask how old you are? we should go wheeling some time

also, is that really your license plate? mine really is l33t35t, dont know if you know what it means. it's a comptuer/hacker thing meaning elitest
Old 03-22-2003, 08:23 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
I ran them on my rig for quite awhile until I got my rock sliderz.

http://pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/191024.jpg

http://pnw4runners.net/runs/4602/21024.jpg

Brand new I paid about $210 with tax, and I sold them about 6 weeks ago to a member here.

They won't provide much trail protection if you go over a rock or up against a stump, that is where a set of sliderz comes in.
But the average price for them is between $250 & $300, not including install.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you aren't going rock crawling, the Smittybilt nerfs shouldn't get in the way. Taking them off for every wheeling trip just isn't practical. Figure a good 45 minutes to remove each time + at least that to reinstall them. My wife likes them for climbing in and out of the rig.

I can't add any new pics to Monty until Monday, so this old pic from the winter will have to do.

Corey - I see you've lubed your fingers with Amsoil again - beat me to the post.
Old 03-22-2003, 08:43 PM

The SmittyBult nerfs that I had were awful. They had a single body mount attachment and wouldn't even support me standing on it. They are pretty but useless. If you want to go with a nerf and you need a step for your wife, go with something like the Allpro rock sliders. They are a solid slider and still make for a good step. Not as pretty as a smitty bilt... but you won't be throwing them away in a year or two.
Old 03-22-2003, 10:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
L33:

I'm 32---an old fart compared to you! Sure, let's go wheeling but it'll have to be in late April or May. I'm just starting to offroad myself so I'm not really familiar w/ the trails in So Cal. I believe that there are some trails off Ortega Hwy (south of you) so you might want to look into that.

Ahhh, Torrance. I used to live in Redondo Beach so I know exactly where the Artesia offramp off the 405 is.

And no, I have no idea what your nickname means. Do tell.

My avatar is a photochopped version of my real plates. It does have BK in there---my initials.

Take care,
Bob
Old 03-22-2003, 11:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by upndair
The SmittyBult nerfs that I had were awful. They had a single body mount attachment and wouldn't even support me standing on it. They are pretty but useless. If you want to go with a nerf and you need a step for your wife, go with something like the Allpro rock sliders. They are a solid slider and still make for a good step. Not as pretty as a smitty bilt... but you won't be throwing them away in a year or two.
these have two mounts. one mounts to the cross member under your tranny and the other mounts to the rear frame

here are two pics of what it attaches to

Old 03-22-2003, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

so... worth it? yes? no?
Old 03-23-2003, 05:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's how they are on:

Last pic shows how far they stick out.

They offer no protection, but look good and are a good step. They can handle my 250lb girth just fine. Think of them as a glorified running board. Mine have been on every part of 5 years - aside from rust courtesy of the "salt belt" I've had no problems with them. Get sliders if you are going to get more hard core, but if you are 2WD, the Smittybilts should work out just fine.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:40 AM
ATC

upndair, How much do you weigh man??? Unless you weigh more than your 4Runner or you didn't put them on right would be the only reason they wouldn't support any weight. They attach to 2 points along the frame as you can see in the above replies.

I have had myself at 210lbs & my friend 190lbs stand on them together w/o any trouble.
Old 03-23-2003, 05:57 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
The front attachment is a piece of cake.
The rear is a little harder to get on.

Yes, I stood on mine all the time when I washed the rig to access the roof, or putting stuff into the roof rack.
They did not deflect one bit.

I say go for them if you want them.
Their quality has gone way up to.
My set I had on my '90 truck rusted and the paint flaked off.

The set I had on the 4Runner almost looked like new when I sold them with no rust or paint flaking off.
They had a scrape on the bottom of them from going over a rock or a log, and that was it.
Old 03-23-2003, 07:44 AM

I have nerf bars as well. However mine are chrome unlike most of the people on here. Mine have plates that mount to the frame using two or three bolts each and then the bar mounts to these plates. I am very happy with the build quality and practicality since my girlfriend doesn't complain about gettin into my truck anymore. Also it covers up the stuff hanging below the frame when you don't have your running boards on and makes everything look a lot nicer. They are made by Wildcat Flash which is a company based in Gergia. I went with them because they were half as cheap as Smittybuilt and had a 6 year warranty as opposed to a three of five by most other companies. Here's a crappy picture, still need to use something besides a disposable camera.

Last edited by runninclean; 03-23-2003 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-23-2003, 12:40 PM

Originally posted by ATC
upndair, How much do you weigh man??? Unless you weigh more than your 4Runner or you didn't put them on right would be the only reason they wouldn't support any weight. They attach to 2 points along the frame as you can see in the above replies.

I have had myself at 210lbs & my friend 190lbs stand on them together w/o any trouble.
The nerfs that I had from Smitty Built didn't attach where those pictured did. The actually attached to the body mount bolts, totally stupid. Those that you pictured are a much better mount. I do warn you that those are still unlikely to support the weight of the vehicle should you need to use a high lift on them or get hung up on a rock.

I tried a high lift on mine (after I'd redone the mounts) and the tube bent before I even got much of the weight off the truck. The Smitty Bilt stuff are good for looks and as a step but that's about it.