Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Does 3.4 V-6 have EGR?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Does 3.4 V-6 have EGR?

Does the non-California 5vz-fe have an egr valve? If it does I can't find it.
Old 09-04-2009, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nope
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 AM

Thanks, I guess that code Autozone pulled about a stuck EGR valve was way wrong. I couldn't find it on the engine, and no online manuals had it on there. Thank you.
Old 09-04-2009, 11:13 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Superpilot
Thanks, I guess that code Autozone pulled about a stuck EGR valve was way wrong. I couldn't find it on the engine, and no online manuals had it on there. Thank you.
this is what you get at autozone they know nothing!!
try another place like kragen or napa I do not care much for pepboys
Old 09-04-2009, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
this is what you get at autozone they know nothing!!
try another place like kragen or napa I do not care much for pepboys
Cmon, some people working at the Zone know their stuff. I actually know a Toyota master tech (of 20 years) who works at Autozone on the weekends just to get side jobs... This is the guy who did my timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, valve cover gaskets, and knock sensor wire for 200 bucks - all while I annoyed him with every 4Runner related question I could think of...
Old 09-04-2009, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by ShrimpMan
Cmon, some people working at the Zone know their stuff. I actually know a Toyota master tech (of 20 years) who works at Autozone on the weekends just to get side jobs... This is the guy who did my timing belt, water pump, cam seals, crank seal, valve cover gaskets, and knock sensor wire for 200 bucks - all while I annoyed him with every 4Runner related question I could think of...
I did the same with mine. Thats how you find the goods ones. I found mine on craigslist. Monday throught Friday he works at the local toyota dealership.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:05 PM

Hmmmm

Originally Posted by ShrimpMan
Hmmm one in a thousand??? Well if I wanted a one in a thousand chance of some one knowing some thing I might go there.
It's like going there and asking for spark plugs what will they try to sell you?
That is right auto light single ground plugs they fit but they don't work!
OK I apologize fo the thread jack.

So what is this problem that brought you to ask this question any how???
The one that returned stuck egr valve???
We may be able to help and that is why I came here, not to flame any one.
Sounds like you went and had your codes read so what did it say?
Not gonna lie I do the same thing have autozone hook up the little computer and then I take it and read them then clear them I know your not supposed to do that there but I do
Old 09-05-2009, 04:03 AM

They gave me 0071 and 0400 codes. The 0071 is ambient air temp probe and the 0400 was a stuck egr valve (which it doesn't have) In the guy's defense he was brand new, but still it lead me on a wild goose chase.
The truck starts well, it runs at the proper cold idle for about 2 seconds, then it runs about 7-800 rpm up and down and almost sounds like it's going to die. When it's warm the idle is pretty normal.
Old 09-05-2009, 09:50 PM

P0400 Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow
P0071 Ambient Air Temperature Sensor Range/Performance
400 makes no sense.
71 is most likely going to solve your problems. I would try some electrical cleaner and clean it to see what happens.

not sure if you know the link to the FSM but here it is may help?
http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

did you clear the codes?? I would suggest clearing the codes and see if it throws the same codes again.
The guy that read the codes didn't know any thing but what the machine told him I will agree that he is definitely not at fault~! The ECM is. unless some how you have a California ECM in a non California truck why would it throw these codes any how that is actually the part that does not make any sense.

Maybe you should check the ECM make and that the plugs are plugged in properly.

by the way what is the make and model??? year etc.

Last edited by eddieleephd; 09-05-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 09-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Its a 2000 Tacoma SR5 v6. I can't find any sort of egt on it, so I don't think that code is right. North Carolina won't let Autozone or anyone just reading codes just reset them, I guess I'll have to take a lead off the battery after I clean out the probe.
Old 09-06-2009, 05:41 PM

Do yourself a favor and spend the $50-$60 at sears for your own code reader. Then read and reset em yourself. Easily worth the expense if your doing your own work. You can look the codes up online, and the code reader should come with a list of all the OBD2 codes.

As for the EGR...Its my understanding that in 99 they started doing away with it. So some 99 have it some dont, but all 2000 should not have it. Easy way to tell is to look at the manifold on the drivers side, IIRC. You should see the return line coming off the manifold there if you have EGR.

If your getting an EGR code and dont have it....do you know the history of the truck. has the computer been replaced?
Old 09-06-2009, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by Superpilot
Its a 2000 Tacoma SR5 v6. I can't find any sort of egt on it, so I don't think that code is right. North Carolina won't let Autozone or anyone just reading codes just reset them, I guess I'll have to take a lead off the battery after I clean out the probe.
do it then recheck. I always take the reader from the guys and clear them my self. a simple can I see that works.

Originally Posted by skrassow
Do yourself a favor and spend the $50-$60 at sears for your own code reader. Then read and reset em yourself. Easily worth the expense if your doing your own work. You can look the codes up online, and the code reader should come with a list of all the OBD2 codes.

As for the EGR...Its my understanding that in 99 they started doing away with it. So some 99 have it some dont, but all 2000 should not have it. Easy way to tell is to look at the manifold on the drivers side, IIRC. You should see the return line coming off the manifold there if you have EGR.

If your getting an EGR code and dont have it....do you know the history of the truck. has the computer been replaced?
would agree but if your gonna spend money on some thing like that might as well go ahead and spend $120 and get the scan tool that will tell you all the stats like o2 readings and such. save alot of bull and effort. ttora has all the codes in the tech faq section.
Old 09-06-2009, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by eddieleephd
do it then recheck. I always take the reader from the guys and clear them my self. a simple can I see that works.

would agree but if your gonna spend money on some thing like that might as well go ahead and spend $120 and get the scan tool that will tell you all the stats like o2 readings and such. save alot of bull and effort. ttora has all the codes in the tech faq section.
agreed...but if money is tight, the cheaper one is an option.
Old 09-07-2009, 02:24 PM

Well today I cleaned out the MAF and disconnected the battery. It hesitated when trying to leave the driveway at first, but then it acted normal and the Check engine light went off and stayed off when I reconnected the batt.
I found the lines for the fuel tank vent system (whatever they call that) that run into a box on the drivers side just in front of the firewall, but I can't find any sort of EGR valve or piping to speak of. I'm guessing these things have ty computers?
Old 09-07-2009, 02:34 PM

Now I see what you are asking, no the computer hasn't been replaced as far as I know. This is the only problem I've had, besides the clunking in the rearend when you stop. All of these early 2000's I've driven have had that. It was bought used in 2002-3 so I've had it most of it's life.