YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   do you think my front wheel alignment is off after I hit several potholes ? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/do-you-think-my-front-wheel-alignment-off-after-i-hit-several-potholes-75180/)

yota5VZFE 12-31-2005 06:06 PM

do you think my front wheel alignment is off after I hit several potholes ?

Hi, today was a very heavy rain here in the SF bay area and when I drove back home, there is a section on the freeway in which the rain removed some of the road fillings on the freeway leaving about 6 huge potholes (3 on the left and 3 of the right). I did not know there are potholes in the front while I am driving my 3rd Gen. going 50 mph over them until I feel the bumps and the vehicle was bouncing around for few times. What I am concerned right now is that I am worried that the front wheel alignment is off, but I could be wrong. What do you guys think ? Do you think that the front wheel alignment should be off by hitting several potholes on the freeway going at 50 mph ? or it should not be a problem ? thank you for your input

02SE 12-31-2005 08:58 PM

It could be.

Does the truck now pull to one side or the other?. If not, you're probably ok.

The only way to really know, is to have the alignment checked.

Bob_98SR5 12-31-2005 09:44 PM

yes, only 1 way to find out

yota5VZFE 12-31-2005 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by 02SE
It could be.

Does the truck now pull to one side or the other?. If not, you're probably ok.

The only way to really know, is to have the alignment checked.

The truck does not pull to the one side or the other. It runs straight like normal. I guess it is ok but I am going to have the alignment checked again in about 4 months at Wheel Works. If the alignment is not off, there is no charge. If the alignment is off, it's $85 for front wheel alignment.

Rick F. 01-01-2006 06:14 AM

I wouldn't sweat it as an immediate concern especially since you state that the truck isn't pulling and I'll assume you haven't picked up any vibration either. It certainly won't hurt to have it checked, especially IF you're not charged if it's not out of alignment (but I'll put money on the shop saying it is, even if it's really not). My experience with Toyotas (over 300,000 miles on 4Runners and over 500,000 miles on other models) is that they don't typically go out of alignment as fast as a domestic vehicle will due to potholes.

yota5VZFE 01-01-2006 08:21 AM

What about you guys that go serious offroading all the time going over uneven rocks and obstacles, do you guys perform a front wheel alignment after each offroad adventure ? or only if the front wheel is pulling to one side or the other ?

Flamedx4 01-02-2006 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by yota5VZFE
What about you guys that go serious offroading all the time going over uneven rocks and obstacles, do you guys perform a front wheel alignment after each offroad adventure ? or only if the front wheel is pulling to one side or the other ?

That's not generally done at 50 mph.....

But, I've run logging roads at speed for many years, (and they're pretty rough,) and I don't worry about the alignment unless something feels off, looks off, or I see an odd wear pattern on my tires. Now - if it was a Nissan or an S10 that would be different. I would have to pick up all the parts and pieces and take them for reassembly and alignement....

lee 01-02-2006 02:24 PM

i havent been able to get my alignment to stay straight for more than one month at a time :laugh:

but thats due to wheeling...