Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Do you have wheel lug locks?

Old 03-04-2004, 07:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Do you have wheel lug locks?

I was wondering if any or all of ya that bought aftermarket wheels use wheel locks on your wheels?

Just wondering as I know in the import scene, ppl steal em like crazy but is it the same in the offroad dept? I don't want to walk up to my truck one of these days to only find em on blocks like you would see em on an import :pat:

I'd highly doubt it though as it'd be pretty pita but heck you never know... these boogers aren't cheap ya kno
Old 03-04-2004, 07:59 AM
Contributing Member

I run gorilla locks on my rims. My rims are cheap, but I dont care. Like anything else, if someone wants what you have bad enough, they will find a way to get it. However, I feel it is my job to make that as difficult as possible. I am more worried about replacing the tires than anything else...
Old 03-04-2004, 08:08 AM

The previous owner of my truck had all four wheels stolen off his truck, and found it out on blocks.

He bought gorrila locking lugs for it, and I lost the key. So then $60 later they were off and replaced.

Now with my newer wheels, I have some wierd lock lug, that the key actually inserts inside the lug, and you attach a socket to the outside of the key. The outside of the lug has threads on it, and sits almost entirely inside the hole of the wheel where lugs rest in. These things should be a serious PITA to get off. They were purchased along with the wheels from Big O Tires.

Can't think of the brand right now, but if you want it, I can check my receipt tonight.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:14 AM

I had my stock wheels stolen on my honda a year ago and since then I put wheel locks on all my vehicles, including my runner. It's just not worth the hassle so if $50 locks can somewhat prevent that then it's a small fee for peace of mind.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:15 AM
Contributing Member

Gorilla locks here too.
Old 03-04-2004, 08:23 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks everyone for the Ultra Quick replies! My gosh, I start this thread and BAM, I'm gettin replies like crazy

I guess I'm off to my local tire shop to get some
Old 03-04-2004, 08:32 AM
Contributing Member

I've got locks on mine but they are just lugnuts that require a specially shaped socket. I'm sure theives have these sockets but at least it makes it a little harder to get. Doesn't it just suck that you even have to worry about finding your rig on blocks?
Old 03-04-2004, 08:45 AM

When I bought my 4runner, it was missing a lug nut on each wheel (stock rim). I figured the previous owner had locking lug nuts on it and decided to keep them. I decided to replace them as well. I just went over to autozone and picked up a set (like $10 or less). I know it probably won't stop theives, but it will at least slow them down...
Old 03-04-2004, 10:40 AM

I've been contemplating about getting some for my new black wheels.

After reading this thread, I may just go ahead and get some.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also have the gorilla locks.
Old 03-04-2004, 10:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
One downside is to make sure you always have the keys, especially out on the trail. I've heard of at least 1 club that will leave anybody who blows a tire and doesn't have the keys.

Also, how many of you leave the keys in the glove box or some other easily accessable place?
Old 03-04-2004, 11:09 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by ben95m
When I bought my 4runner, it was missing a lug nut on each wheel (stock rim). I figured the previous owner had locking lug nuts on it and decided to keep them. I decided to replace them as well. I just went over to autozone and picked up a set (like $10 or less). I know it probably won't stop theives, but it will at least slow them down...
You may want to keep an eye on those.
I had some cheap wheel locks from my local Kragen and after two uses the guy at the tire shop noticed that the key was a bit chipped.

Apparently, if you have the type of wheel lock with the key that has a raised pattern like this one:

as it was explained to me - when you lock it into place all the torque stresses the raised portion of the key - and there isn't that much metal there.
I had a different variation on my truck but when I saw it the key had already lost small portions of the sharper edges.

What you want to do is get a set of Gorilla locks or something similar to that. All the torque is more evenly distributed and you're less likely to break a key.

it's hard to see in this pic but if you look carefully at the locks you'll see the exterior pattern. What you have is basically a custom nut and a custom socket to remove it.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:21 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Gorilla locks here too.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For those that have Gorillas, do you have four or a full set of twenty-four? I have the full set on the truck and I wonder if they still make those because I'd like another for the 4Runner. I haven't seen them around lately.

Last edited by toy283; 03-04-2004 at 11:42 AM.
Old 03-04-2004, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Check out Ebay - I thought I saw a larger set of Gorilla locks there...
Old 03-04-2004, 12:26 PM

gorrila locks here also. Sometimes i worry im going to lose the key though.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by toy283
For those that have Gorillas, do you have four or a full set of twenty-four? I have the full set on the truck and I wonder if they still make those because I'd like another for the 4Runner. I haven't seen them around lately.
Only Four here.
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Gorilla Locks here

OOOOO OOOOO OOOOOO EEEEEEE EEEEEEE AAAAA AAAAAAAA!

Forget what the rims cost, it's what the TIRES cost!

Old 03-04-2004, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by waskillywabbit
OOOOO OOOOO OOOOOO EEEEEEE EEEEEEE AAAAA AAAAAAAA!

Forget what the rims cost, it's what the TIRES cost!

Hmm. I guess you do have a point there, WABBIT.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:20 PM

Wheel locks are a great idea, although I think they only act as a deterrant to amateur wheel theives. Well, at least the lower quality locks do that. I'm not really that familiar with the gorilla locks, but I definitely wouldn't waste my money on a set of McGard locks.

The previous owner of my 2000 lost the key for the McGards, so I thought it would be a daunting task to get rid of the locks.... it turned out that all I need was about 5 seconds and a 12 point socket that fit over the outside of the lock, and presto, the lock was removed. One of my buddies had the same problem, and he ended up using a tool from snap-on that was designed for removing rounded off lug nuts (it's basically a socket that cuts reverse threads onto the offending nut).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Do you have wheel lug locks?