YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   DIY Windshield Washer Fluid? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/diy-windshield-washer-fluid-277264/)

gratpj 01-28-2014 06:04 PM

DIY Windshield Washer Fluid?

Might be a dumb post, but here goes...

Anyone ever concoct DIY windshield washer fluid? (esp. anti-freeze)

Anything wrong with a Windex/water mix?

No, I don't mind a trip to the local parts store for a cheap bottle of the stuff, but last I checked (and it's been a while), they didn't have the kind that won't freeze (because I'm not in an area where that is a concern). However, I do travel to places where that's important.

Just wondering if anyone has any clever tips, ideas, etc. Otherwise, guess I'll buy some next time I'm in a colder climate.

Roark 01-28-2014 06:34 PM

Just tossing it out there.. I've read before (I think) that by adding something with a low freezing point, think ethanol/alcohol, to the wiper fluid will help prevent the freezing. Just buy the cheap fluid from the store and add some of your favorite vodka! Hahaha, or just add any form of alcohol. In theory, it would work.

Inferno451 01-28-2014 06:48 PM

Wiper fluid (at least here in Idaho) already has freezing protection down to about -35F, and it only costs about $2 a gallon. I'm not sure i see much to gain making your own.

Keith B. 01-29-2014 01:33 PM

Even with the cheapest booze, making your own will not be cheap.
The commercial 0ºF or minus 15ºF stuff has methanol in it. Price out a gallon of 99% methanol.
I've added ammonia or Windex-type stuff in the past here in warm California, but the Windex isn't anti-freeze, at least not much.
Just remember to pick up a few gallons of the anti-freeze stuff the next time you're in one of the colder-winter areas, or see if you can web-order it.
Buy this and never run out:

gratpj 01-29-2014 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Keith B. (Post 52162518)

!!! :lol:

CJM 01-29-2014 05:50 PM

an entire drum lol.....

Texas_Ace 01-30-2014 06:19 AM

The standard blue washer fluid you see is very simple and not worth trying to duplicate.

All it is is water and methanol with a little dye in it. Thats it. The temperature rating on the fluid is determined by how much methanol is mixed into it. -40 is approx 50/50 and +32 is 0% methanol. Everything in between is a linear mix that you can more or less calculate.

Just buy the stuff from the parts store, meth injection guys have tried for years to make it cheaper but it generally comes out the same or more depending on methanol prices.

Personally I like the Rain-X orange fluid that you can get from walmart. The extra additives work nicely and do help with streaking.

reaj 01-30-2014 11:55 PM

I second the rain x orange have that here in colorado works great with melting the snow (we're getting 5-10 inches tonight cookie time) this helps too best $80 bucks ever spent!
http://www.alphathermusa.com/heated-wash-AT-38OD.html

Robb235 01-31-2014 03:18 AM

If you're local auto parts stores don't stock any wiper fluid for below freezing temperatures (like in south Georgia where I'm currently located), go to Lowes or Home Depot. They should have a "premium" grade washer fluid that's good to -30 or something like that.

Texas_Ace 01-31-2014 04:16 AM

If your issue is lowering the freezing point, a simple fix is dumping a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the washer fluid, or if you have access to methanol that works better.

Robb235 01-31-2014 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace (Post 52163076)
If your issue is lowering the freezing point, a simple fix is dumping a bottle of rubbing alcohol into the washer fluid, or if you have access to methanol that works better.

Or a bottle of HEET. It's pure methanol.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech

Texas_Ace 01-31-2014 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by Robb235 (Post 52163090)
Or a bottle of HEET. It's pure methanol.

Sent from my iPhone using YotaTech

Yep, that works as well although pretty pricy generally.

highonpottery 01-31-2014 08:01 AM

Rubbing alcohol trick works great as quick remedy. I don't have to worry about freezing here in ca but have to do this when going to the snow or it freezes up in the lines.

My uncle told me about the rubbing alcohol trick - it's what he tells his physical therapy patients to do for making their own cold packs -- the alcohol lets you super cool water bags and they won't freeze unless too little alcohol.

gratpj 02-04-2014 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by reaj (Post 52163046)
I second the rain x orange have that here in colorado works great with melting the snow (we're getting 5-10 inches tonight cookie time) this helps too best $80 bucks ever spent!
http://www.alphathermusa.com/heated-wash-AT-38OD.html

Almost missed this. That looks like a great buy! Thanks for the tip.

MistaMota 02-06-2014 07:41 PM

I live in Saskatoon, Canada... i use rainx winter formula. 2.99 for 4L the wind chill this week and last got to around -50c and it was still liquid..
synthetic oil on the otherhand did turn a little thicker. but after being plugged in she started right up

wyoming9 02-08-2014 05:37 AM

Rain-x Orange by the case!! and Done.

I mean if your really bored and missed out on High School Chemistry have at making your own .

reaj 02-08-2014 08:00 AM

Yeah gratpj check them out, love my Alphatherm fluid heater! Sucks a lot of power at start-up but well worth being lazy in the snow and letting the wipers and heated Rain X orange do all the work!