Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did my truck get a 30K mile tuneup?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did my truck get a 30K mile tuneup?

So I bought a used 2001 4Runner at the dealership. It had 38K miles on it, and was Toyota Certified Used. I took it to get a scheduled oil change/checkup, and the mechanic said everything was in tip-top shape - looke great. He told me, however, that I should always be sure to get the recommended tuneups, and asked if I had gotten the 30K tuneup. I obviously don't know, since I bought the car at 38,000 (now at 44K). I called the dealership, and they said there was no way to find out. My concern is that the previous owner might have said, "well since I'm selling it, I won't get the tuneup." I really don't want to pay the dough if I don't need to (if the previous owner did it) but I want to do it if it hasn't been done, since I plan on putting many, many miles on it. Is there any way to inspect the car to find out if it HAS been done? Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

That's a bunch of crap. At most properly equipped dealers, you can find out if the vehicle was serviced there. They may be telling you that they cant tell you so they can get more money. They should be able to run the VIN, and if the vehicle was ever serviced there it will show up.

Another idea is to dig through the manual and look for the name of the previous owner. We have done that numerous times to find out if services have been complete on newly purchased vehicles.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:07 AM

Well maybe I'm just too trusting but if the dealer said it was certified it should be fine for the next 16k miles till you hit the 60k tune up mark. Just stay on top of the fluid change intevals in the mean time and if you like you could get some nice spark plugs installed and ohm out the plug wires. For such low milage though I doubt you'll have any serious issues. The mechanic did say it looked to be in tip top condition right? My experience is if there was any reason he could have used to pitch you a maintenance call he would have done so.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Another idea is to dig through the manual and look for the name of the previous owner. We have done that numerous times to find out if services have been complete on newly purchased vehicles.
Good idea - I'll try that, although I don't recall seeing any of that info in the manual.

The DID tell me that they had no record of any maintenance done on the car at the dealership...
Old 07-26-2004, 11:10 AM
Contributing Member

I was told by my dealer that they couldn't (for some legal reason) tell me what had all been done, but if I asked about specific things they'd answer. Fortunately we've known the sales guy for a long time, so he took care of that little issue for me.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

You made it sound like the dealer told you there was no way to find out. Typical Stealer thing to say.

Regardless, see if you can find anything on the previous owner. Take a look at their "225" point inspection and see what is listed. Knowing Stealers, they will do everything they can to increase their bottom line. Which means the 30K service was probably never done (by the dealer when they took in on trade).
Old 07-26-2004, 11:14 AM

Unless I'm wrong I believe at the 60k mile mark you'll also be due for a new timing belt, that's usually a good time to replace the water pump. May I also suggest getting the fuel filter replaced at that time. It's cheap and easy to do but also easily overlooked.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:31 AM

So is the consenus that I should just wait until 60K? Other than the sparkplug thingy...anything else?

Thanks for such great advice, guys!
Old 07-26-2004, 11:37 AM
lee
Contributing Member

i would wait till 60K for the sparkplugs too (which is part of the 60K service).

if youve come this far trouble free, chances are youre all set. it was certified used which means it was checked in more ways than the 30K checkup would have meant.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM

taken from certified cars.com

What is a Certified Car?
A certified car is a used or pre-owned vehicle that has been thoroughly inspected and tested in accordance with the manufacturer's certification program to ensure quality. Nearly every manufacturer of cars, from Ford to Ferrari, has a program for certifying its pre-owned vehicles. If a manufacturer offers a used car for sale as "certified," this means that the car passed the exacting inspection of that manufacturer's certification program.

On average, approximately 150 parts or systems of a pre-owned car are tested to make sure they are in perfect working order. If they are not, they are fixed or the car cannot be offered as a certified, pre-owned car.

While the certification process varies by manufacturer, every certification process includes a much more exacting examination of the used car than it might otherwise undergo. Naturally, the engine, transmission and driveline are inspected, as is the chassis, which includes important items like brakes, steering and suspension. Most certification programs go much further in inspecting a pre-owned vehicle than looking simply at the integral parts of the used car; they additionally examine the finish and trim to ensure a certified car that not only works well but looks great. Some manufacturers even inspect such minutiae during their certification process as floor mats (Ford).

If a pre-owned vehicle passes this examination process, or can be repaired to such as condition as to pass the certification process, only then can it be labeled a certified, used car. In general, a certified, used car is therefore more likely to be higher quality, safer and better looking than a used car that cannot earn the label "certified."

In addition to being more reliable, a certified used car often comes with extras from the manufacturer. Many manufacturers offer roadside assistance for their certified pre-owned cars, making sure the customer is not stranded in the event of an emergency. Additionally, certified, pre-owned vehicles generally have lower interest rates and offer warranties like those offered on new cars.

Buying a certified, used car is your greatest insurance against buying a "lemon," and, due to manufacturer incentives, reduced price and an exacting inspection, a certified, used car is often "Better than New."

You'll notice that they don't say the vehicle is tuned or has all services performed according to mileage. BUYER BEWARE
Old 07-27-2004, 07:32 AM
lee
Contributing Member

well.. thats somewhat bull˟˟˟˟ as well though.

mine wasnt 'certified' but i took it to a mechanic i trust to look at everything top to bottom before buying and he gave it the OK, and ive had ZERO issues (aside from 2 check engine lights which were related to wear by age/mileage and were covered under warranty).

often dealers wont pay for a car to be certified if it's above a certain mileage (sometimes as high as 50K). I got my runner with 45K on it uncertified, because the dealer's policy was not to certify cars above 35K (or so they said). and i noticed that those that ARE certified often carry a hefty pricetag as a result.

certification is more an issue of peace of mind, than actual protection. your best protection is to have someone you trust take a look at it (wouldve done this even if it was a certified runner i was looking at) if you dont trust your own knowledge enough.