Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did I overfill my trans? (yep I feel pretty dumb...)

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I overfill my trans? (yep I feel pretty dumb...)

I replaced my radiator and did not realize it had an integrated trans fluid cooler. Once I disconnected the two small trans fluid lines from it, I realized it was trans fluid and collected it up - it appears to be several quarts.

After finishing the radiator and reconnecting the trans cooler lines, I poured +/- 2 quarts of fresh trans fluid back into the fill spout - less than what drained out - and thought I'd top off after I'd warmed up the trans with a road test.

After letting the engine idle for 15-20 mins to check for radiator leaks, I then checked my trans fluid level and found it to be at least a notch over "Full - Hot"

So I'm freaking out, having read the posts about overfilling causing slippage, excess wear. I do not want to ruin a perfectly good tranny.

The 4Runner is up on jackstands and has not been driven - only started.

Did I overfill it?

If I take it off the jackstands & put it on the road, will the level subside once the fluid gets hot?

Do I need to drain if off?

Am I supposed to refill the trans cooling lines from some other opening than the trans dipstick level tube?

Thanks all!
Old 08-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2 qts of tranny fluid from those lines seems like a lot... I have never had more than half a quart come out of mine. If it were me... I would drive it a few miles, make sure to use every gear... the check the level... if still over... drain the excess... or better yet...drain and fill.
Old 08-04-2008, 12:34 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree that 2 quarts seems like an aweful lot to come from those cooler lines. Did you actually measure it or just guess based on the amount that drained out onto the floor? I'm asking because a cup of oil on the floor looks like a gallon.

I'm betting you added too much and you will definately want to drain it down to the correct level. maybe now is a good time to do a trans service, ie new filter and fluid.
Old 08-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Sorry to thread jack but is it actually bad to have excessive amounts of tranny fluid in there? i worked at ford a really long time and almost half the automatic vehicles i serviced had more than Full amounts of tranny fluid. The other techs told me this is ok and most people keep it fuller than needed. Mine was always a bit fuller than the F sign and it ended up starting to slip so i swapped it. Could that have helped it to wear out? also your sposed to check the level while the vehicle is idoling right?
Old 08-04-2008, 03:49 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
from what i understand justin it is bad to have excessive amounts
Old 08-04-2008, 04:02 PM

to the op, you need to check it properly by shifting it into all of the drive gears, then reverse, then back to park and finally examining the dipstick. As far as seeing many vehicles come in with excessive amts of tranny fluid, that is kind of misleading because transmission fluid thermally expands much more than engine oil. I prefer to check it when the engine is relatively cold and just use the cold marks on the stick when possible.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:50 PM

I found the issue. The radiator was going bad - failed a pressure test - and apparently failed internally mixing ATF & antifreeze - what drained otu of the hoses. I filled up a plastic gallon jug and had about 1 qt left over. The stuff separated like oil/vinegar salad dressing.

I drained the trans and the in & out lines to the cooler, refilled it with fresh ATF and all is well. I caught it just in time to avoid trans damage.

Thanks again to the posts here about this problem that keyed me in on it.

Thanks to all who replied to my post. You input is greatly appreciated!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:58 PM
Contributing Member

same thing happened to me... are you sure it just failed...? I caught mine in about a day, towed it, and replaced the radiator... If it failed a while ago, you would have been dripping coolant/tranny fluid out of your coolant overflow, so you should be able to have noticed if that is the case.

BUT, you need to do more than just drain atf out of the pan and cooler... the whole tranny holds like 12-16 quarts and it doesn't all come out by draining the pan!!! this is important, you need to flush your entire tranny of fluid ... when I did mine I used about 2 cases of cheap ATF until it ran red.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Justinvd
Sorry to thread jack but is it actually bad to have excessive amounts of tranny fluid in there? i worked at ford a really long time and almost half the automatic vehicles i serviced had more than Full amounts of tranny fluid. The other techs told me this is ok and most people keep it fuller than needed. Mine was always a bit fuller than the F sign and it ended up starting to slip so i swapped it. Could that have helped it to wear out? also your sposed to check the level while the vehicle is idoling right?
Excessive is a relative term. Being a notch over full is nothing and is no reason to panic. It's not a nuclear device where all ingredients have to be exactly right. Putting 17 quarts where 16 should be is no reason to worry. Putting 25 is though.

It all depends who you listen to. There's a large population that makes a ritual out of changing fluids, measuring quantities to a fraction of a liquid ounce.