Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Did I bend/break something in my trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Did I bend/break something in my trans?

What's up guys. New to the forums. I have a 1996 Tacoma 3.4 V6 4x4 manual.

Bought the truck recently from a friend. Noticed it had a major leak in valve cover gaskets but runs good. Ordered OEM gaskets, oil plugs, half moons, grommets, so I waited a almost 2 weeks to get them. So the truck just sat. After installing the new gaskets along with new spark plugs and wires truck starts up fine. Let it run for a while checking for new leaks.

But when I tried to put it in gear it wouldn't go in. All gears felt like I wasn't pressing the clutch even though I was. There is fluid in the reservoir. So I shut off the motor, put it in reverse, press clutch then turned the motor. The truck jerked back when i turned the ignition so i quickly turned it off. Then i tried again in neutral and now it goes in all gears. But now theres a tapping sound. I can hear it from the passenger side of the motor and it gets a bit louder when I go underneath the truck. Did i bend or break something? The truck drives fine right now. It's just the tapping that gets me worried.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
It’s possible the friction disc of your clutch rusted to the flywheel or pressure plate during the time it sat so when you pushed the pedal it still wasn’t releasing.

Or the throw out bearing is taking a crap.

Or the slave or master cylinders are taking a crappy.

Ask your friend what kind of maintenance he’s done over the years.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just a new starter and timing belt job