YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Death vibrations (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/death-vibrations-19520/)

JDeMello 10-20-2003 05:54 AM

Death vibrations

I got my 96 new used 4runner, and I know that the newer toyotas have 65mph vibrations if the tires are not balanced but this thing dances across the road. the steering wheel jumps about 1 in either direction esp when braking.

Usally this means tires and wheels need balanced but its so strong I'm thinking maybe the rack is shot or something? I have some polly bushings I'm going to be putting on there that might help.

Any thoughts?

Jason

AznSky 10-20-2003 06:07 AM

so I see the transaction was made. How do you like the rig so far? Besides this and the leak in the other thread.

couldn't really help you on your problem as my 96 doesn't do what yours is.

Ok I just thought of somethin, you said it turns like crazy when braking? Maybe warped rotors?

Biohazard 10-20-2003 06:17 AM

sounds like the rotors are warped - at least that's part of your problem (steering wheel shaking while you brake). you can either take them off yourself and take them to a shop to be resurfaced or you can have the shop do the whole thing. i would start there b-4 troubleshooting anything else

PhxTRDRunner 10-20-2003 10:31 AM

May sound obvious and you probably already checked, but check your tire pressure. If mine is off, the truck does not drive nearly as good.

kctopher 10-20-2003 10:53 AM

Sounds like a combination of warped rotors and tire balance..

My 00 did a nice shimmy @ speed and worse on braking.. A tire balance fixed most of it, the braking shake is still evident but only because I'm lazy (the new rotors are still in the boxes...)

WT 10-20-2003 05:00 PM

Rotors been there done that twice switched to better rotors no problems since. I say best to replace the rotors and pads which by the way are a pretty easy thing. Then see how it goes and see if you need to balance them wheels, If your on original wheels there a pain to balance but If you search the site there will be lots of information on it.

JDeMello 10-20-2003 06:44 PM

Originally posted by Toyo_Runner96
so I see the transaction was made. How do you like the rig so far? Besides this and the leak in the other thread.

couldn't really help you on your problem as my 96 doesn't do what yours is.

Ok I just thought of somethin, you said it turns like crazy when braking? Maybe warped rotors?

It's a very nice runner, we love the stero and TV DVD stuff, the sunroof and everything else is nice! I still feel like it was a good deal! I just want to get this stuff fixed. I hate oil leaks! and vibrations!

I think it might just be alignment and balancing. It seems like it just happen or something, I can't imagine he drove it that way from St luis? Just driving to Cali from az a 6 hour trip was bad enough. you had to go at least 80 for the vibs to kinda go away.

JDeMello 10-20-2003 06:45 PM

Originally posted by Biohazard
sounds like the rotors are warped - at least that's part of your problem (steering wheel shaking while you brake). you can either take them off yourself and take them to a shop to be resurfaced or you can have the shop do the whole thing. i would start there b-4 troubleshooting anything else
I would think that but being that it does it just when driving. I think it may be alignment.

JDeMello 10-20-2003 06:46 PM

Originally posted by WT
Rotors been there done that twice switched to better rotors no problems since. I say best to replace the rotors and pads which by the way are a pretty easy thing. Then see how it goes and see if you need to balance them wheels, If your on original wheels there a pain to balance but If you search the site there will be lots of information on it.
It sounds like new rotors are in it's future either way. It has after market wheels and tires.