Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

cylinder 2 missfire on 97 4runner motor swapped into mr2

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cylinder 2 missfire on 97 4runner motor swapped into mr2

I have done alot of searching and still have some questions relating to my misfire issue. I changed the plug and wires a while ago in hopes of fixing the issue (with non oem parts) to no avail. When the engine is cold the motor runs great. When it is hot it misfires continuously on the gas, hesitates and has no power. I have not had a chance to check the fuel injector for cylinder 2 as of yet (got more then one project going on). I will be at watkins glen the end of june and would like to have the vehicle in proper running shape. Any help would be great.

Some details on the swap: I am running the factory fuel pump from the non turbo mr2, i am using the fuel filter from the mr2 (new) with an adapter for the fuel rail feed line, I have swapped coils with no effect, i have copper traditional spark plugs in there, I have new non factory spark plug wires & boots, car idles at 800 rpm, new crank position sensor timing belt gear, new timing belt, new timing belt tensioner, factory maf installed in an intake pieced together from silicone couplers & aluminum tubing 2.75", matching pcm (97 4runner sr5 manual tranny 4x4), crank pulley is tight, 19psi inline radiator cap, alternator is the only accessory run by the engine,

I am not running a downstream oxygen sensor and have noticed on my modis that it still says open loop. Is the downstream o2 sensor required to get it into closed loop? I noticed there is a downstream o2 eliminator setup available that requires connection to the factory sensor so I imagine this could be an issue. Fuel trims are all within normal when the car is moving and at idle they seem to vary.

Additionally I have noticed that my tps sensor never reads over 75%, is that normal or could my issue be stemming from that?

I have factory spark plugs to go back in this weekend and some work on my evap vsv to do. I have a crank position sensor from toyota I was planning to install when I pull the motor and tranny next weekend. I have constant voltage fed to the vss pin of the ecu to prevent any possible speed issues.