YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   CV Boot Modification (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cv-boot-modification-196101/)

LanceN 11-06-2009 08:33 AM

CV Boot Modification

I'm currently replacing both my front CV axles due to torn inside boots.
After I pulled the two axles last night I was looking at them and thinking that the boots could possibly be modified to reduce the amount of stretch on them. I have a 1.5" lift on the front of my tacoma and while it's not a huge angle change it's caused a torn boot in about a year of fairly normal driving.
What I was thinking is to cut the outside lock strip on the axle side of the inside boot and slide the boot in a little and reclamp it down. Basically compress the boot about a half an inch to decrease the stretch on the top of the boot.
Any thoughts on this?

Thanks

kawasakimoto_7 11-06-2009 09:44 AM

differential drop?.. theres a lot of people who make them just search it

LanceN 11-06-2009 10:23 AM

I've got a diff drop. It's not a huge problem as I know it's second nature to swap the axles out if you've got any lift. Just something I thought about last night while trying to go to sleep and thought I would see if anyone had thought of, or done anything like this to keep the boots from tearing.
I am also aware of the long travel boots that are available, but still......just thinking out loud I guess and looking for any input.

impreza 11-06-2009 11:38 AM

Contact Ben at Slee Off road for the long travel CV boots. They do them all the time for 4runners with 3" OME lift.

TRDrunner 11-06-2009 12:33 PM

whats the difference between the long travel CV boots and the OEM boots?

Pikeman 11-06-2009 01:07 PM

One of the reasons the boots tear is the ridges in the folds are forced to rub each other causing friction and heat. By pushing the boot up you would actually be causing them to contact even more by having the folds/ridges closer together and wear them out faster.

cpizzle42 11-06-2009 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Pikeman (Post 51274233)
One of the reasons the boots tear is the ridges in the folds are forced to rub each other causing friction and heat. By pushing the boot up you would actually be causing them to contact even more by having the folds/ridges closer together and wear them out faster.

exactly what I was going to say, he just beat me to it.

ac808m 11-07-2009 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by impreza (Post 51274188)
Contact Ben at Slee Off road for the long travel CV boots. They do them all the time for 4runners with 3" OME lift.

I've been running these on my Taco for 2 years with no issues. Call Ben, don't mess with the cheap fix.

^99runner^ 11-07-2009 07:43 PM

if its an older truck and a fairly new lift then the origianal cv boots could be the problem. i've heard on here that the cv boots are used to being in a position for so long and then changing the position weakens them. the newer cv's shouldn't wear out for a while. i had the same problem on my 97 tacoma; with a 3" lift and no diff drop, i tore one boot and wheeled it pretty hard

LanceN 11-08-2009 04:08 PM

After looking at the boots yesterday i definately agree with you Pikeman, you can visually tell where the rubbing occurs and it's exactly on the lines where the rips are. My mod idea would only worsen the situation for sure.

So, last weekend I got new BFG M/T KM2's in 32x11.5's and yesterday I installed two new front axles and new Billy 5100's in all corners and today a lifetime aligment.
New truck...skinny wallet!!

Oh, thanks for the replies.