Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

CV boot looks FUNKY and got a lil noise...problem? IDEAS!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 10:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation CV boot looks FUNKY and got a lil noise...problem? IDEAS!

I had CV leakage after I installed my lift and decided to change the entire CV joint(s) instaed of the PITA & messy boot rebuild. I installed a SS diff drop and then bought NEW joints from NAPA for $74 each (on sale) and installed them with NO problems.
Here's the issue now after install...
The inner boot closest to the diff doesn't look right. The boot fins are not standing up and I thinnk look like they're being pulled as if the CV is too short.

Any ideas guys?

It also seems that since the install I have constant brake noise too. Not a grinding, but as if there is ALWAYS contact with the rotor. I thought I'd remedy that by replacing the pads and rotors too(NAPA $100 for everything). I tried rolling down the street going only a mile or two per hour and I'm not silent as I once was. It's better now, but I'm still getting CV boot noise. It sounds like the outer fins are making contact as the wheels spin. I've removed the wheel several times and spinned the wheel without load, etc and the noise is in fact coming from the outer boot.

Regardless, the inner boot looks funky, what do you guys think?

BTW: I have done a search regarding this and no one has had this problem, at least I don't think so.
Attached Thumbnails CV boot looks FUNKY and got a lil noise...problem? IDEAS!-cv-pics.jpg  
Old 08-08-2008, 11:51 AM

Sounds like NAPA is at it again! I think that either they cross referenced the wrong CV joint, or you have a defective one. As far as the brake noise goes, I really don't know what your problem is. I mean if you take the wheel off and the brakes apart and don't see anything that could be visibly wrong, then I don't know what to tell you. I guess that you could have a caliper sticking causing the noise that you're referring to, but you would also get dragging and pulling most likely. I guess return the boots at NAPA and put you're OEM ones back on. In the case that you used the OEM CV's as you're core, then demand to see their manager and show them the joint on you're 4runner and how it is making noise and looks deformed, and demand a refund or new CV's for a discounted price.

I hope that this helps...
Old 08-08-2008, 01:28 PM

I thought that Napa may have given me the wrong one, possibly shorter than OEM. I REALLY don't want to put my old ones back on, but in the name of doing things properly, I MUST! I'll demand another pair and try this again, but make sure that it IS the right part this time. Thanks for the advice, 5 speed.