YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   "Comfy" tire suggestions (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/comfy-tire-suggestions-6220/)

HaveBlue 02-07-2003 08:15 AM

"Comfy" tire suggestions

Hey all-
In the very near future, I will be buying new wheels and tires. I will be keeping the stock rims with the BFG 265/75/16s. But, I would like to have another set of tires/wheels with softer, more comfortable tires for highway/street use. On weekend trail runs, I would switch back to the BFGs.
I went to Tirerack.com and looked at Michelins, Goodyears, and Pirellis but have no experience with any of them.
I had Goodyear GS-As on my 92 and I really liked them. But, they're not made anymore.

Here's the wheel I'm getting:
American Racing: Terron

The one shown is chrome, I plan on getting brushed aluminum. Also, the only list 18-20" wheels, but I can get 16s from my dealer.

Your opinion is appreciated!

billyho 02-07-2003 08:44 AM

For the street you can't go wrong with Michlen LTX/MS tires. They are great rode tires and not too bad offroad. I've tried about everything and they rule. I have about 70K on mine and they still have lots of tread left!!!!

Ron(Fla) 02-07-2003 09:08 AM

I'm running GY Fortera's. If your interested click on the HL link in my sig. They appear to have combined the GY Eagle and GY Wrangler to get a softer quieter ride with an all-weather SUV tread. Click on the Flash link.

HaveBlue 02-07-2003 09:34 AM

Hmm...I like the look of those Forteras. They're $123 on Tirerack.com.

Thank you!

Please, keep 'em coming!

rimpainter.com 02-07-2003 09:57 AM

Pirelli Scorpions

These tires have been awesome thus far. They have excellent on road characteristics, and work really well if you have to go off-road. They are really quiet and grip amazingly well.

They are also reasonably priced. Even in 16 inch like mine!

Here are some reviews of them

SLC Punk 02-07-2003 10:21 AM

Originally posted by billyho
For the street you can't go wrong with Michlen LTX/MS tires. They are great rode tires and not too bad offroad. I've tried about everything and they rule. I have about 70K on mine and they still have lots of tread left!!!!

I agree, my dad has the LTX M/S on his 96 4Runner, he has about 80,000 miles on them and will probably last through next summer. They are smooth and good in the rain/snowy roads.

Bob_98SR5 02-07-2003 07:56 PM

Alan,

Hey bud, its Bob. I can personally vouch for the good opinions about the Michelin LTXs. When I gave my brother the 99 SR5, it had the stock Wranglers on it. When I purchased my current 98, it had a brand new set of Michelin LTXs on it. The day I drove it and picked it up, I said to myself "Man, does the 98 have better suspension or what??!!?" The ride was much smoother.

To make a long story short, I wanted to keep my 5 spoke rims so I swapped out the rims/tires between the 99 and the 98. When I drove the 98 (now w/ the 5 spoke 99 wheels and the Wranglers), I knew it was the tires that made the difference. So I jumped in the 99 (now w/ the 98 rims and LTX tires) and drove it around and that confirmed 110% that it was the tires that made the difference in "comfy" ride quality.

Hope that helps.

Bob

LoCore 02-07-2003 08:14 PM

Count me in for another vote on the Michelin LTX A/Ts. I had two sets on my '91, and found they did great for the driving that I did. I got around 80K miles on the first set, and the second set appeared to be lasting at least that long when I sold the truck.

I bought them at Sam's Club both times for around $105 per tire, warrantied and mounted. Not sure if they carry them any more.

ManyMods 02-08-2003 05:12 AM

Bridgestone Dueler H/P

My 2002 has OE Bridgestone Dueler H/P 265/70-16 tires. I'd like to throw these into the mix as a very good comfort ride tire option. Read the excellent reviews on them at Tirerack. JM2C

ltflint 02-08-2003 07:32 AM

I will cast another vote for the Michelin LTX's. I replaced the Goodyear Wranglers that came on my Runner with these last year. The improvement in noise and comfort was unbelievable.