YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Cold air intake and inner fenders 2001 Taco (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cold-air-intake-inner-fenders-2001-taco-281574/)

WpgWelder 06-26-2014 02:04 AM

Cold air intake and inner fenders 2001 Taco

Hey guys/gals,

I have a 2001 Toyota Tacoma DLX model, 3.4L V6 Automatic.

I been getting alot of mud and water in my airbox and I noticed that the inner fenders don't really cover the Cold Air Intake tube.

Is there anyway to combat this? Seems kinda stupid that Toyota would put the air intake in the fender wells with nothing to protect the airbox from sucking in alot of crap.

I've heard of a "deck plate mod" and looked at aftermarket CAI's.

I use my truck mostly as a daily driver with the occasional muddy offroading next to a river to go fishing in hard to reach places.

Suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm getting tired of cleaning out my airbox of wet gravel/mud and drying out my filter.

rworegon 06-26-2014 04:04 PM

A deck plate mod will make your situation worse with a 8-10cm (3-4") hole in the front of your airbox.

If you are going through water that deep, you may want to consider a snorkel for the airbox.

WpgWelder 06-26-2014 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon (Post 52205848)
A deck plate mod will make your situation worse with a 8-10cm (3-4") hole in the front of your airbox.

If you are going through water that deep, you may want to consider a snorkel for the airbox.

uhm i'm not going through deep water at all!!! and the mud is no more than a couple inches deep, but I have no inner fenders, so the water and mud go right into the intake tube and into the airbox.
Doesn't matter if i'm driving in the rain on the street or not, my airbox filter gets soaked.

I just figured the deck plate mod would be more likely to keep the airbox dry and i can seal off the oem intake tube.

rworegon 06-26-2014 04:28 PM

Oh, I see...bad read on my part.

Well, the deck plate mod may help some if you use window screen to screen off the hole so small debris cannot enter the box. On the Tacoma, the box sits right behind a headlight and I'm able to leave it open year round without a deluge or water getting into the airbox.

busmup808 06-26-2014 06:35 PM

You have mail

Sent from my MB865 using YotaTech

WpgWelder 06-26-2014 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon (Post 52205857)
Oh, I see...bad read on my part.

Well, the deck plate mod may help some if you use window screen to screen off the hole so small debris cannot enter the box. On the Tacoma, the box sits right behind a headlight and I'm able to leave it open year round without a deluge or water getting into the airbox.

I should have mentioned I have 33x10.5R15's on my truck, so I can't run the plastic inner fenders without it rubbing anyways.

Thanks, that's what I figured. I've never had water higher than maybe hubs of the wheels, so deck plate mod with a screen on would probably be my best bet. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to plug the oem intake tube in the fender or maybe just remove it.

250000_yota 06-26-2014 11:51 PM

Do you have any sort if lift to clear the 33's? My little brothers tacoma clears 33's just fine off of a small Toytec spacer lift. Personally, I'd put the fender liners back in, and work to clear the tires. They're designed to prevent this exact situation.

WpgWelder 06-27-2014 11:04 AM

i got a 2 inch lift in the back, but nothing in the front. This is he way I bought it in January. Just been dealing with the guys issues.

RAD4Runner 06-27-2014 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by 250000_yota (Post 52205929)
... I'd put the fender liners back in, and work to clear the tires. They're designed to prevent this exact situation.

Exactly, Liners are supposed to keep dirt/mud/water/dust being stirred up by tires from the intake.

WpgWelder 07-06-2014 07:17 AM

ok so i've got the hardware to install the liners, do the fender flares need to be removed in order to install these things?

KZN185W 07-07-2014 05:16 AM

not familiar with Tacoma but in the 4Runner, you only need to compare the holes in the liner to the screw clips on the fender, no need to remove the fender flares