YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   clutch is done for need some advice (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/clutch-done-need-some-advice-68157/)

dexter 09-25-2005 06:01 PM

clutch is done for need some advice

alright so my clutch is slipping like a bastard and smells horrible and need to be replaced after 5 years of teenage drivers (me and previous owner who is my best bud). anyways i want a faster engaging clutch and flywheel but have no idea what works well with this truck. there are tons of options and im looking for people who have experience or know of other people who have with any of the aftermarket clutch companies. also does the flywheel need to be replaced or just re surfaced? pressure plate and clutch master cylinder? thnaks guys also have a high flow cat going in.
if anyone knows where to get some sway aways cheap please add to your post.
thanks guy and sorry for all the questions

jimbo74 09-25-2005 06:06 PM

i love my centerforce dual friction, its very high performance... been in my truck jsut a tad over 18 months and still performs flawlessly with my crazy driving..... they always say to resurface or replace the flywheel, which you should do... i didn't and had no ill effects from it.....

the df is a whole system, which includes the pressure plate and cover

i didnt replace my master or slave cylinders, as they looked pretty new, and didn't exhibit any problems.... also they are cheap and easy to replace at a later date if i needed to....

also change out your pilot and throw out bearings....

dexter 09-25-2005 06:08 PM

quick response thanks. gotta take it the mechanic tomorrow and have him take a look at it and see what the final diagnosis is

GRNTACO 09-25-2005 07:13 PM

Asco makes the Toyota stuff and it is cheaper than OEM. I would not spend the money on a dual friction clutch. The flywheel doesn't always need to be resurfaced. If it has been burnt or has heat cracks then I would but if not then it will be fine if not better then the resurface.

jimbo74 09-25-2005 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
Asco makes the Toyota stuff and it is cheaper than OEM. I would not spend the money on a dual friction clutch. The flywheel doesn't always need to be resurfaced. If it has been burnt or has heat cracks then I would but if not then it will be fine if not better then the resurface.

taco, why wouldnt you get the dual friction?

i know i beat the crap out of my truck, and that is purposely why i selected the df clutch...

GRNTACO 09-25-2005 07:37 PM

I've heard a few bad things about them and decided not to spend that kind of money for a clutch.

jimbo74 09-25-2005 07:52 PM

Originally Posted by GRNTACO
I've heard a few bad things about them and decided not to spend that kind of money for a clutch.

mind if i ask what these bad thigns were? when i was researching clutches, they were awesome for the $ and i could only find good things about them.... the only time i ever saw someone say anthing negative was when there was an imporperly installed issue that was not the fault of centerforce, but the fault of that consumer not doing something correct

Albuquerque Jim 09-25-2005 09:25 PM

Here's an option...

DXD Clutch

I think I am the only one with one in a 4Runner. I had them spec it out. I have had it since January. I am happy with it. But I have to warn you, it's not like a smooth stock clutch. This thing grabs. It has been great for me on and off road.

BTW, I would always get the flywheel resurfaced. Think of it as a $30 insurance policy.

dexter 09-25-2005 09:28 PM

how much did thaqt run jim? i need something heavy duty (take the ruck to the track alot and drive it pretty hard most of the time)

jimbo74 09-25-2005 09:37 PM

its been about 18 months since i put mine in, i have no idea what i paid... i think it was $230 for the dual friction centerforce... look around online for it, thats how i found the cheapest price..... some places might sell it iwht the install kit, some wont, so keep that in mind

Albuquerque Jim 09-25-2005 09:57 PM

Originally Posted by dexter
how much did thaqt run jim? i need something heavy duty (take the ruck to the track alot and drive it pretty hard most of the time)

$500...not cheap. But, better than a new stock clutch every year.

jimbo74 09-26-2005 02:58 AM

i have actually heard that the dual friction clutch already allows more holding power than the toyota otehr parts allow.. my truck GRABS, but i like it that way..... i have gone wheeling with my truck... been deeper than the hubs with just pure gooey mud and not gotten stuck, even halted all movement, and was still able to spin the tires to get going again....... not bad for a 4x2 with an open diff.... my clutch has performed flawlessly.... i can easily spin the crap out of my tires on dry pavement ... and i have 31s... doesnt seem like too big a deal, but i have a 3.07 gear ratio......

getitdone 09-28-2005 02:40 PM

My duel friction clutch is bad ass.
It is smooth on the road. Almost too smooth...I used to get worried that maybe it wasn't performing as it should. All I needed to do was let it out a little faster at the next takeoff and the tires would chirp. Super smooth and super strong.

Off road I rely on it and abuse it. I am absolutly surprised at how well this clutch performs and recommend it to anybody who wheels. I also got the 10# heavier flywheel, probably not what your looking for seeing as how you want speed, not torque. But for wheeling with a 4 banger, it is the only way to go IMHO.

dexter 09-28-2005 06:22 PM

so a heavier flywheel will give more tourque and a lighter one=more hp or high end speed? huh interesting

kyle_22r 09-28-2005 06:54 PM

a heavier flywheel will give you more torque since it holds momentum better. a lighter flywheel will let your engine rev up faster but it'll be gutless on hills.

have you looked into marlin's ceramic clutches? kind of thinking about putting one in my '79 when it's time to rebuild the tranny.