YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Cheap Mufflers (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/cheap-mufflers-26663/)

Praufet 02-13-2004 04:08 PM

Cheap Mufflers

I was looking through my summit catalog and they had some pretty cheap mufflers. I know sometimes companies rebadge name brand stuff under their name and sell it for cheaper, I was wondering if anyone knew if summit does this? If not, are the summit mufflers any good? They had several different models from as cheap as $15. As a poor college student this is a very attractive price, but at the same time I don't want to buy something that sounds and performs like crap. Any input is appreciated.

zedex 02-13-2004 04:37 PM

USUALLY. You get what you pay for. When you buy a muffler you have to get it installed$$$ welded$$$Tail pipes$$$ Clamps$$$ . Unless you do it yourself. Then when it fails or sounds like crap you have to go through the whole speal again.
Its tough when your in college and have to watch your money but a cheap muffler in the end will need replacing much sooner than a good quality one. So IMO your better off spending the money on a decent one and not have to go back down the muffler road again.

Mike Murrell 02-13-2004 05:13 PM

As eluded to already, you may get a muffler for $15, but then you have to install it. It's not worth the effort. Plenty of cheap shops around. Buy one locally that's installed by someone who does it all day long.

I've never seen mufflers as a diyer task.

Praufet 02-13-2004 10:33 PM

I was mainly wondering if summit is just "rebadging" these mufflers made by another company, and if so who? I mean the trd is just a rebadged exhaust, and if you buy the non-TRD exhaust you save like 100-200 (can't remember actual) figures. Also not too worried about the cost of installing and such. We have a pretty good car club down here and lots of people with lots of know how, so I can get them to help me out. :bigok:

Vato Loco 02-14-2004 06:57 AM

Originally Posted by Praufet
I was mainly wondering if summit is just "rebadging" these mufflers made by another company, and if so who? I mean the trd is just a rebadged exhaust, and if you buy the non-TRD exhaust you save like 100-200 (can't remember actual) figures. Also not too worried about the cost of installing and such. We have a pretty good car club down here and lots of people with lots of know how, so I can get them to help me out. :bigok:

I think the TRD exhaust is really a Borla exhaust just bebadged. ;) How much are you willing to spend?

85runner 02-14-2004 08:20 AM

Poor people can't afford to buy cheap stufff - because you will have to spend $$ later on redoing it again.

doink 02-14-2004 09:45 AM

my dynomax from summit wasnt too expensive..only 50 bux, then 20 installed. :roll:

Vato Loco 02-14-2004 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by doink
my dynomax from summit wasnt too expensive..only 50 bux, then 20 installed. :roll:

Thats what I'm going to purchase also. What are your impressions of it? power? sound? sound in the cabin?

Thanks

Plays_with_Toys 02-14-2004 10:21 AM

What engine do you have? Someone on here got a hooker aero chamber muffler which is only like $40 I believe, and if I remember right, he liked it. Maybe do a search for that, I will in 30min when I get back from lunch, if you haven't already.

Thanks for reminding me too! I have a $30 summit gift card that expires soon. I did a survey and they gave me money! :rockin:

85runner 02-14-2004 10:22 AM

I have a dynomax and its ok. Its pretty quiet.

doink 02-14-2004 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by Vato Loco
Thats what I'm going to purchase also. What are your impressions of it? power? sound? sound in the cabin?

Thanks

over all i think its a pretty nice addition. the sound is not too loud, but you can definitely tell i have something done to it. in the cabin, its not too bad. its pretty throaty sounding when you get back towards the rear. hope this helps. cheers :mrc:<------ i like that smilie