Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Can you use oem shocks with tundra coils?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 06:34 AM
JM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can you use oem shocks with tundra coils?

Hello all,

I am new to the 3rd generation yotas and have a couple of questions. I sold my 88 runner and now have a 98 runner. Man what a diffence in the ride going from a 88 to 98, I love the way the 98 drives. I have been reading all the post about Tundra trd coils with Tacoma trd shock . Can you put the Tundra coils on oem shocks? I ask this because I my rear end is sagging about 1" and I need to upgrade the coils for the back so instead of getting replacement oem coils I may go the Landcruiser route and just replace the front coils with Tundra coils and keep my front shocks for now until I can afford new ones. This way I can fix my rear sag and get a 1" or two of lift. Will the Tundra and oem shocks give me a bad ride? I would think it would be better than oem shocks and 3" spacers ???? Also would you recommend Landcrusier coils or Downey lift coils. Remember I am only looking to get 1" to 2" of lift.

Thanks for any input,

Marc
Old 05-27-2006, 07:04 AM
Contributing Member

most people seem to be happy with their landcruiser coils, but then again I don't have coils in the rear so... BUMP!
Old 05-27-2006, 07:21 AM

I ran 881 coils with a .75" spacer with my stock shocks for a while. This is about the same lift your talking about. The front shocks don't seem to vary much in length, I couldnt tell a difference on road, other than that the shock itself was shot(had for 60k miles) It shouldnt be a problem, it is a helluva lot easier to change the shock/coil in one step though, you won't have to compress the coil twice, which is no fun.

Even if your only trying to get 2" I would diff drop it while your at it.

Last edited by JHupp; 05-27-2006 at 07:22 AM.
Old 05-27-2006, 07:48 AM
Contributing Member

I would think that the LC coils will give you more than 1 - 2" of lift. From Sonoransteel's website, I think you're closer to three inches.

As far as using OEM shocks in the front, they may not be long enough. IIRC, those TRD shocks were not super pricey. It may be worthwhile to swap them out together or you'll have to do the same amount of labor when you do get the money for the shocks.
Old 05-27-2006, 08:29 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have TRDs on stock replacement Bilsteins. I also have OME 890s on the rear with the stock replacement Bilsteins. I don't know if they are the exact same length but that are working great for me. The TRDs gave me 1.75" up front and the OME 890s gave me 3" out back but the rear was sagging about an .75" so I got about 2.25" out of the 890s. This put the back up about .5" from the front.
Old 05-27-2006, 12:29 PM

I had a similar question, and I think Gerdo may have just answered it. I was wondering if you could install the LC rear coils w/o replacing the stock shocks. I was reading the Revtek web site and noticed that they advertise "no shock replacement required". Whether you are putting in a longer coil or installing a spacer, I would think the effect would be the same on the rear shock. Does the Revtek kit have a bracket for the rear shock or do the OEM length shocks work fine?
Old 05-27-2006, 12:47 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by HawkGT
I had a similar question, and I think Gerdo may have just answered it. I was wondering if you could install the LC rear coils w/o replacing the stock shocks. I was reading the Revtek web site and noticed that they advertise "no shock replacement required". Whether you are putting in a longer coil or installing a spacer, I would think the effect would be the same on the rear shock. Does the Revtek kit have a bracket for the rear shock or do the OEM length shocks work fine?
I can answer this one as I had a Revtek lift before. One, there is no bracket for the rear shock w/ the Revtek kit. Second, I had stock Bilstein HD replacements w/ my Revtek lift but the Revtek kit did not require changing out my shocks. But as far as the LC coils, they are pretty tall. I've owned a set but never put them in as they were massive compared to what I had.
Old 05-27-2006, 01:11 PM

You can, and I have ran about 2.3-3" of lift with stock shocks, you are just going to top them out in the rear, and get crappy crappy flex off road, the fronts were never noticeable for me because you don't get a whole lot of flex from the IFS anyway. SO, if your shocks are still good, and you are not going to go offorad, the fronts will be fine, although, the rears will probably get shot fairly quickly.

My advice would be, if you are planning on doing it yourself, it will be alot easier for you to replace everything at once, if you are having a shop doing it, it will be alot cheaper to replace everything at once. Bottom line, is the shocks really arent that much more exepnsive, just buy them, and get it out of the way, much better performance off road, and I would think? that you might need them soon anyway.

Last edited by JHupp; 05-27-2006 at 01:13 PM.
Old 05-27-2006, 06:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've heard that the LC coils will give you 3"-3.5". Pretty tall.
Old 05-28-2006, 07:11 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by JM
Hello all,

I am new to the 3rd generation yotas and have a couple of questions. I sold my 88 runner and now have a 98 runner. Man what a diffence in the ride going from a 88 to 98, I love the way the 98 drives. I have been reading all the post about Tundra trd coils with Tacoma trd shock . Can you put the Tundra coils on oem shocks? I ask this because I my rear end is sagging about 1" and I need to upgrade the coils for the back so instead of getting replacement oem coils I may go the Landcruiser route and just replace the front coils with Tundra coils and keep my front shocks for now until I can afford new ones. This way I can fix my rear sag and get a 1" or two of lift. Will the Tundra and oem shocks give me a bad ride? I would think it would be better than oem shocks and 3" spacers ???? Also would you recommend Landcrusier coils or Downey lift coils. Remember I am only looking to get 1" to 2" of lift.

Thanks for any input,

Marc
Marc, you are going to get WAY more than 1" in the rear from the LC coils. If you only want 1" then go with OEM 99 4runner coils or PP coils. If you want 2-2.5" in the rear then use OME 890's and if you want a full 3" then use OME 891's. The LC coils as mentioned will give you 3-3.5" of lift so use the setup that suits your taste (LC coils will do ALOT more than just getting rid of ass sagging on your 4runner!!!). No way you should use stock shocks with the OME 891's or OEM LC coils. The rest you can probably get away with fine for a while anyways.

In the front you might be able to get away with running stock shocks with the Tundra coils, not sure about that (ask schaeffer or Bamachem on that one). The LC coils in the rear will require spacers to level off the truck with the Tundra coils up front since those will only give you about 1.5-1.75" lift (which is about the same lift as you'll get from a set of OME 881's).

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 05-28-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-25-2006, 08:24 AM

I just Installed the "OEM" Tundra/LC lift!!

Those LC Coils will give you 3.5"-4" lift Stock shocks wil not work
As for the Tundra Coils up front they will not fit the stock 4Runner/Tacoma shocks!!

Here's a few shots of my truck to help you see what this lift looks like!!
I'm running 305/70 MTR's with no body Lift>>

Old 07-25-2006, 12:14 PM

I agree that stock shocks should not be used for the rear with the LC or OME 891's. About a year ago, I bought a set of "extended" Rancho RSX's when I went the 2.5" spacer route. The spacers and stock coils sagged so about a month ago, went with LC coils and kept the Rancho's.

IIRC the Ranchos are about 2" longer than stock and give decent travel for LC or 891 springs. To take advantage of the full rear articulation, some people are having good luck with stock LC shocks. BTW, here's a pic of my rig with 265/76 16's...

Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 PM

I have a 02 4runner sr5, I was wondering if i could change out my stock set-up front and rear for the 02 tundra stock set-up front and rear? Struts, coils and shocks