YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Buzzing brakes (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/buzzing-brakes-5327/)

DuB 01-14-2003 04:53 PM

Buzzing brakes

I have a buzzing sound that comes from my brakes as the speed drops below 15 mph. There's no sound above that, but as it drops to it, it buzzes until the the truck comes to a complete stop. The frequency of the buzzing goes with the speed of the truck, too. What could be wrong?

I don't want to bring it into anywhere just yet because just last year (I think. maybe it was the year before last) I brought it to Irvine Toyota and they ripped me off. I got in a small arguement with them because they were being sketchy on the details of what was wrong with my truck and kept giving me the run around. And then I asked to see the parts they replaced and they said the tech already threw them away.

Could the pads be worn out already? I guess that's possible if my rear brakes need adjusting, but they should have been adjusted this past year when I brought the truck in for its 60K tuneup. Also, I always thought that brakes would squeal when they needed to be replaced, not buzz.

Confused :(

DuB 01-22-2003 04:53 PM

Nobody knows? :(

After driving for a bit, I found out that they don't buzz under hard braking. I still don't know what's up though and I won't have time to bring the truck anywhere to get it checked anytime soon :(

Corey 01-22-2003 05:14 PM

Sorry I don't have the answer, but I just noticed your posting time the first time and this time are exactly the same time.

Kind of weird 'eh :)

oly884 01-22-2003 05:18 PM

there are some anti-rattle springs that are on the calipers. I know on my truck one of them got torn off by the rotors spinnging. You might want to check that out.

Robinhood150 01-22-2003 06:38 PM

What year is it? how many miles? is it 4wd? what relevant things did they do at the last checkup? Where is the sound coming from (front, drivers side etc)? how loud is the buzzing?

help us help you. (I have a dialup so it takes too long to checkout your website)

Measure the pad and/or shoe thickness to see if you need new ones. The minimum allowable thickness should be in your manual.

Steve :)

DuB 01-22-2003 07:01 PM

I guess I'm pretty consistent about when I worry about my truck :D

Thanks for the info.

My truck is a 97 2wd w/ about 70K. Last check up was the 60K tuneup. The buzzing seems to be from both front brakes and it's not totally noticeable, but if I was to point it out to someone, I'm pretty sure they would notice everytime afterwards.

rpeAMP 01-25-2003 02:24 PM

Usually that means that the pad is wearing thin. I always thought that they would squeal as well, but they never did on my 2000. When I took it in, I only had 5% of the pad remaining. Does the noise sound like a light grinding noise right before your wheels stop turning?

DuB 01-25-2003 03:32 PM

That's exactly how they sound!

what the heck, this is the second time I've had trouble with my front brakes. The stealers around here must loosen up my rear brakes or something when I bring it in for checkups :mad: