YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Blinking ABS light (searched) (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/blinking-abs-light-searched-138084/)

Joe's Toy 02-21-2008 12:37 PM

Blinking ABS light (searched)

Hey guys, yesturday after I installed my hood protector (thanks to Gerone @ trdparts4u.com) I started my truck to pull it into the garage and I noticed the ABS blinking. (didn't have time to mess with it till today)

Today I drove my truck to work (about 5 mi.) = no light.

Just went home for lunch = no light. Searched web over lunch for possible causes

Driving back to work = light blinks, only for first 1 mile. Starts blinking again after I stop @ a light then turns off after I start moving again....

Here's what I found:
It could possibly be a dirty sensor, but I haven't drove through any water or dirt lately so how could it all the sudden be dirty?

The owners manual says to take truck to the dealership if the light is blinking

And I also found that you can read the ABS light to detect diagnostics codes (if you can find the stupid diagnostics connector).

So finally here are the questions...
1. I have a full warranty still. should I just take it in?
2. Does my truck even have a ABS diagnostics connector? 2.a If yes, please explain where.
3. Where can I find the code glossary for my truck?

Thank you for your time!

ac808m 02-21-2008 01:00 PM

ABS is complicated. Mine went out 6 months ago when I did my lift and I still haven't fixed it. Just pulled my ABS CPU plug and truck runs like normal w/o. Check this post out:

https://www.yotatech.com/50371738-post5.html

Pull the code and google/repost.

Joe's Toy 02-21-2008 01:17 PM

ok thanks ac808m,
I have to wait till later to check it out but I'll try to find the connector again and pull the code. Can anyone show me a picture of where exactly it is? Thanks everyone!

pattycakes77 02-21-2008 01:38 PM

i would just take it to the dealer if it's under the full warranty. might as well have the professionals deal with it while it's not on your dime. good luck :)

Joe's Toy 02-21-2008 02:36 PM

I called and told my dealership I'm bringing it in tomorrow. I have to leave it all day... I sure hope they be careful with my baby. I always worry when I drop my truck off because I'm afraid they're going to do more damage and then cover it temporarily... If I can check the code tonight I'll figure out what's wrong and then I can go in there with some understanding of whats wrong. :yotarock:

Originally Posted by pattycakes77 (Post 50758071)
good luck :)

Thank you! :D

Joe's Toy 02-22-2008 07:46 AM

Here's what I found

1 Attachment(s)
Hey can someone with a 2003 (or close to) Tacoma check under their hood and see if they have this little "diagnostics plug" as shown in figure 13 Attachment 194498

Just in case that image is to small heres a link (can you tell how depserate I'm getting) Please :help:!
click for larger image

Tacoclimber 02-22-2008 08:11 AM

I just checked my 03, Joe, and I don't have one there.

I believe ours are in the cab, under the dash on the right side. At least, I think that's what it is. I can't imagine what else it would be.

Joe's Toy 02-22-2008 08:33 AM

Hey CJ, thanks for checking. I wonder why it's saying it's supose to be located there...:think: Is the OBD II plug the only "diagnostic plug" on Tacos? :D time for some more research!

Joe's Toy 02-22-2008 10:02 AM

Did I find it?

3 Attachment(s)
Ok guys I was checking out Customtacos.com and I kinda put some pieces together and found this. Tell me what you think. (here it goes)

This clip from a TSM shows that I should have the diagnostic plug on the engine. But I don't, so I dug a little deeper.. Attachment 194499

This page tells me how to do the test, note that it says:
(b) In case of not using hand–held tester:
Check the DTC.
(1) Using SST, connect terminals Tc and CG of DLC3.
SST 09843–18020 or 09843–18040
(2) Turn the ignition switch ON.
(3) Read the DTC from the ABS warning light on the
combination meter.

Attachment 194500

and the next page shows me where the DLC3 plug is (under the dash, above the gas pedal)
Attachment 194501

So in conclusion I think CJ (Tacoclimber) is exactly right. My diagnostics plug to "connect terminals Tc and CG" is my OBD II plug.

Does any of this make sence?

Tacoclimber 02-22-2008 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy (Post 50758878)
Does any of this make sense?

I lost you at CustomTacos... :hillbill:

Naw, I think you're on it. I seriously looked all over the intake plenum and I didn't see anything that remotely resembled a diagnostic port. I really think that it is the OBD II. They may have moved a few things around during the nine year run of the 3.4 Tacomas...

Joe's Toy 02-22-2008 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tacoclimber (Post 50759010)
I lost you at CustomTacos... :hillbill:

Naw, I think you're on it. I seriously looked all over the intake plenum and I didn't see anything that remotely resembled a diagnostic port. I really think that it is the OBD II. They may have moved a few things around during the nine year run of the 3.4 Tacomas...

Haha. I think the obd II is the new DLC1. I'm not sure. My truck isn't throwing any codes so all is well for now. Thanks again for checking CJ. I'll let you know if I find anything.

Tacoclimber 02-23-2008 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Joe's Toy (Post 50759370)
Haha. I think the obd II is the new DLC1. I'm not sure. My truck isn't throwing any codes so all is well for now. Thanks again for checking CJ. I'll let you know if I find anything.

No worries, mate. I know you woulda done the same. :great: