Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Blah ,I keep second guessing myself!!!! - front lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 04:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blah ,I keep second guessing myself!!!! - front lift

So im going to be ordering my lift here in the next few days. Original plan, toytec CO up front and OME 890's out back. But looking at the budget it gets really tight with the toytecs. So im looking back at just come OME's and 881 coils. Will i really see much difference day to day? is it really worth it to get the CO's? I need more justification for myself to get them. Should i just do it or will the OME's make the cut?

edit more thoughts: or should i just get the CO's and run them at stock height till i can afford the rear coils? either way the front needs to be done, the shocks are shot right now.

Last edited by twitchee2; 11-28-2008 at 04:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:12 PM

no opinons so far?

I was thinking about it more and i dont really think i have a good reason to get the toytecs other then they are just down right sexy and realistically the OME with 881s will be just fine. At this point anything is better then what i have. there really cant be much difference between they bilstiens and OME's. I have the OME shocks in the rear and love them so i think i will be ok.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:28 PM

depends, do u really really want the lift right now? or can u settle for stock height till u can afford the rear?

i assume if u lift it, u wont have the cash for larger tires, so i would go for the coilovers, and save for the rear and get it done exactly how u want it. it may take a little longer but u will be happier in the end knowing you have the hardcore adjustable boingers in the front.
not saying the old man emus are bad, but it just seems like what you really want is the COs

Last edited by sa51; 11-28-2008 at 09:32 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:31 PM

well i have a 10% off thing for toytec so i want to get it soon and then i have time to actually work on it here in a few weeks so its the opertune time to do it.

will there be a noticeable difference in the ride quality? Im not going to be getting tires for quite some time. Soonest would be mid summer.

Last edited by twitchee2; 11-28-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:41 PM

idk much about the COs but i'm geussing the ride would be considerable stiffer then stock. it will handle much better though
Old 11-28-2008, 09:42 PM

i mean in comparison to the OME set up? Anything will be stiffer then my stock setup right now haha
Old 11-28-2008, 10:05 PM

sorry lol i knew that, i got sidetracked by girlfriend

i am sure the COS are stiffer then the old man emu. usually OME tunes their suspension to your setup,ie: winch bumpers etc. the setups for winch bumpers are usually stiffer then the regular setup. as for handling i geuss its all about preference. the COs will presumably have a more sporty ride.
Old 11-29-2008, 07:42 AM

gah this is such a tough decision. anyone else?
Old 11-29-2008, 07:44 AM

if your gonna do it go all or nothing
Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 AM

Originally Posted by laxyoat99
if your gonna do it go all or nothing
are you saying go with the toytecs or just go for it and get it lifted?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:21 AM

if your gonna put money into it might as well do it right the first time why come back and do it all over agin if ur wanting to lift it anyways
Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM

thats exaclty whats running through my mind. thats whats holding me back, would i take a huge hit in preformace and ride if i get the OME's over the toytecs?
Old 11-29-2008, 08:05 PM

so does anyone know or have experience? is there much difference between them?
Old 11-29-2008, 09:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have no experience with the OME's or toytec CO's upfront. I run the tundra coils and 890's in the rear. 890's, I love them. I'm sure the co's or ome's can't be stiffer than the tundra coils. I have no custom bumper or any wieght upfront and while the tundra's are stiff I'm happy with them. If money is really tight I would just go with the ome's for now. there's a big price difference there and you may just be happy with the 881's. Worst case, down the road when you save up some cash you can sell the 881's and get the co's. Maybe you may get lucky and come across a cheap used set of CO's. If you decide to lift with the coils there's no need other than just wanting to upgrade to bigger tires. I have 265/75's with my lift and it looks fine. I don't really plan to go any bigger anytime soon either.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You gonna run bumper or winch later down the road? My big thing was I wanted to be able to set my height to what I wanted and what was good with my cv's and something I can adjust the life of the CO to get the same lift.

The rear isn't much to do, I would go for the toytecs with the discount and have them at toytec set them at stock height and then swap them out and then later do the rear lift.

I might be selling my 891's soon.
Old 11-30-2008, 06:52 AM

just lift it way up rember "lift it cause fat chicks cant jump"
Old 11-30-2008, 09:31 AM

There are a lot of decent front lifts available, but it really depends on what kind of driving you're planning on doing. CO's are nice in that they're adjustable and work best in higher speed driving situations: desert racing for example. But, CO's need to be rebuilt from time to time and from what I've read, Toytech's aren't necessarily the best.

As far as plain coils, I would recommend the OME's and have had good luck with them. Since you're riding a "low rider" 2002 like me, the 881's will only give you ~1.5" of lift over stock. I did the OME 882's up front with the N91SC comfort valved shocks and have been very happy with that choice. I got right at 3" of lift, which looks great with the shorter LC coils I'm running in the rear.

I have a post in the 3rd gen community section of YT which you may want to check out. Good luck with your decision!
Old 11-30-2008, 10:21 AM

man you just made my lift soooo much more difficult haha. Are you running the top plate spacers? You would think with the 02 being the low rider the lift numbers would be more then specified right?

Also looking at your pics, the 882 seem to be to tall for me, your CV angles are harsher then i would like to run and with running stock tires it think it will be to much. anyone else have an opinon on that?

Last edited by twitchee2; 11-30-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The ToyTec COs are built on a Bilstein shock. I have Bilsteins and love them. They are firm but not stiff IMO. I have Tundras up front and now have 891s in back. I had 890s but wanted a little more lift and more capacity so I went to 891s. There isn't much ride difference on road between the two. I actualy liked the 890s offroad better. The 890s would compress under flex and stay there but the 891s compress and they bounce back almost catapulting the rear of the 4runner. It takes some getting used to but I know how it's going to act now. I like my setup but do want to add some lift to the front so I'll be adding a top out spacer soon. I probably should have bought the TT COs but didn't know about them at the time.

Something to think about. You should be able to buy a complete OME sping lift for the price of just the COs.

I am still running 265/70R16 BFG ATs with my lift. There is plenty of room to tuck tires w/o rubbing. I will be going up to either a 265/75 or a 235/85 when I need tires.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:54 AM

I run 881s up front (with no spacer) and 890s in the rear, and the day to day ride is BETTER than stock (in my opinion AND my wifes opinion). It feels more sure-footed, yet still manages to be smooth over any street surface. I run mine with Tokico trekkmasters. Get the COs if you really want them, but in my mind (having owned several other vehicles with CO setups) COs are useless unless you really plan on adjusting the ride height for different conditions. If you just want a lift, I would have a hard time justifying them. If a good spring gets you the height you want, I'd say go with that and save your money. My OME setup has been fantastic offroad (sand, mud, dirt... I don't do rocks). I'm sure the toytec COs would be as well, but I can't speak to that.

Quick Reply: Blah ,I keep second guessing myself!!!! - front lift