YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Better fuel mileage after mods.. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/better-fuel-mileage-after-mods-2624/)

dukestr 10-18-2002 12:00 PM

Better fuel mileage after mods..

It seems that my 4Runner has become more fuel efficient after performing the following mods:
TRD Exhaust
Deckplate Mod w/ Amsoil air filter
Chevron with Techron

I did all of the mods in a span of one week. After a week (and a full tank of gas) I have noticed that my full tank of gas can now last for 300 miles. I usually average 190 miles for every tank of gas :( I thought my fuel gauge was giving me false readings...but it has been almost a month and it has not changed...bottom line..me happy :D

pfdaxe 10-18-2002 12:30 PM

WOW...good milage. I wish I still had that. Wait til ya lift it with bigger tires and a s/c. I get about 225 on a full tank. Of course....for some strange reason my foot does seem alittle heavier after installing the s/c :)

Paul : fireman:

Beowulf 10-18-2002 12:34 PM

Re: Better fuel mileage after mods..

Originally posted by dukestr
It seems that my 4Runner has become more fuel efficient after performing the following mods:
TRD Exhaust
Deckplate Mod w/ Amsoil air filter
Chevron with Techron

Very cool, I always run Chevron too. My wife drives a 1992 Honda Civic we bought it new and it has never had any other gas besides Chevron and it has never had one mechanical problem ever ... Same with my 4Runner only Chevron.

Hey dukestr, by the way what do you think of the sound of the TRD exhaust? I have a chance to buy a new one really cheap, but I have heard they are really boomy/ricesh what's your opinion?

Thanks

XtremeOff-Road 10-18-2002 12:35 PM

WOW that is good mileage....I only get about 160 miles to a full tank :(

pfdaxe 10-18-2002 01:21 PM

Hey Mike:

Your s/c must have come with the "heavier" foot optional :)

pfdaxe 10-18-2002 01:22 PM

I have the TRD exhaust and I like the nice mellow rumble sound. Doesn't sound a bit like all those tips that teenagers put on their Civics....

Beowulf 10-18-2002 01:35 PM

Originally posted by pfdaxe
I have the TRD exhaust and I like the nice mellow rumble sound. Doesn't sound a bit like all those tips that teenagers put on their Civics....
Thanks pfdaxe, would you say $400 sounds like a good price for one?

Bob_98SR5 10-18-2002 01:55 PM

Duke:

I experienced the same thing w/ my 99 when I had the Dynomax installed (shoot, does ANYONE wanna buy the Dynomax!?!?), I got around 1 mpg more than before.

I did lose a wee-bit of low-end torque which I didn't really like, but that's the price you pay for opening up the ass end!

Bob

dukestr 10-18-2002 02:13 PM

pfdaxe, I actually have a s/c, that's why I was very impressed with the fuel efficiency. That's why my foot IS more heavier on the pedal than before :D

Beowulf,
I agree w/ pfdaxe on the TRD Exhaust...w/ a mellow rumble, it sounds great ! I say $400 is a good price for it.

Just got the tensioner kit today for the s/c (my 2nd gen s/c did not come with it when I purchased it 2yrs. ago). The instructions seem easy. Hopefully I do not have a hard time installing it. Any tips?

Also, just ordered the G-Tech perfomance meter so I can at least get an approximation on how my mods improved HP, 0-60, etc. Here is the thread I started in the 'off-topic' area.

Beowulf 10-18-2002 02:26 PM

Hey dukestr, just check out your rig ... very cool pics! I like the way you installed the screen over the deckplate mod, good idea!

HaveBlue 10-18-2002 02:27 PM

The TRD exhaust sounds really nice. Not at all rice. My neighbor actually asked me if I had a V8 in my rig.
It sounds similar to my old '86 Chevy truck. I had dual exhaust on that and it rumbled.

dukestr 10-18-2002 02:36 PM

Beowulf,
Got to give credit where credit is due...I got the idea for the screen over the deckplate from Jalaber's website :cheers:

sleepy1405 10-18-2002 05:12 PM

let's see right now i'm getting about 250.....if I install an exhaust and filters and stuffs....maybe i'll be getting 300, but dam a jump from 190 to 300 is impressive. I would die if I was only getting 190, i'm already filling up every week

CLin9383 10-18-2002 05:24 PM

duke, is that highway miles or city?? i get 270 MAX with highway and no SC....if it's highway, whats your avg speed???

pfdaxe 10-18-2002 05:38 PM

Hey Duke:

Are your gauges metric? Maybe it's kilometers....:)

dukestr 10-18-2002 07:23 PM

CLin9383/sleepy1405,
That is actually a combination of city and highway. I average around 70MPH on highway. In the city, w/ the s/c, I tend to gun it a bit when there are hondas giving me the look when they see my supercharged emblems and hear the sound of my exhaust :D

tomus1000 10-18-2002 07:37 PM

The part that worries me is, why were you only getting 190 miles per tank? That does not sound right. I currently get about 280 miles per tank in my supercharged Doublecab. It wasn't getting much less than that before I did my exhaust and filter. Something must have been causing the poor mileage. I figure that when you messed with everything you must have corrected the problem. It is the only way that I can logically justify 110 mile per tank gain in mileage.
:pat:

dukestr 10-18-2002 10:17 PM

You are probably right tomus1000...maybe I should mess with my runner a little bit more :D

But seriously, it was definitely mind boggling for me too. That's why as I mentioned earlier, I thought my fuel gauge was showing false readings :confused: I guess I got used to filling up every 4 to 5 days :pat:

Drove from Sacramento, CA to Santa Clara, CA (260 miles round trip) last Sunday. I am still using the same tank of gas from that last weekend :eek: ....I will probably need to fill up tomorrow :drink:

91Runner 10-18-2002 10:23 PM

God I wish I was able to get that kind of gas mileage... Hell, I'd kill to be able to get 190 miles off of one tank :P If I keep my foot off the gas (which is hard with my new exhaust :rockin: ) the best i've gotten is about 160 on one tank. I usually average about 140-150 before I need to fill up. Although this is on a 2nd Gen, i'd still love to get the kind of mileage you guys/girls are getting :devil:

-Braden

Ron(Fla) 10-19-2002 06:19 AM

Just something to think about..

Wouldn't "Miles Per Gallon" be more meaningfull than "Miles Per Tank", since not all gas gauges measure the same. Although dukster's change is impressive, since it's the same gauge in the same truck.