YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Best way to remove pinstripe? What to stick on in place of it? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/best-way-remove-pinstripe-what-stick-place-2899/)

DH6twinotter 10-28-2002 06:34 PM

Best way to remove pinstripe? What to stick on in place of it?

Hey all,
I’m trying to remove the pinstripe on the side of my 4Runner. It’s looking pretty trashy. Anybody have any good ideas on how to do this? I tried bumper sticker remover, but that doesn’t work that great except for where the pinstripe is already starting to come off at. I also tried using a hair blower on the hottest setting. It worked ok except it took forever. About a half hour just to go about 2 inches.

Also, I’d like you all’s opinion on what kind of stripe I should put on. I’m thinking about putting a stripe where the on I have is at. I really like the design that F33T35T 4Runner (and I’m sure others) has on his rig. It would look really good on my 4Runner which is light blue. The second thing I may do is put a “swoosh” like what is found on the side of some Toy trucks. I would get the design that fits the regular cab trucks and cut another slot in it for the rear doors. While I’m not as crazy as the “swoosh” as I am the stripe, the “swoosh” would help cover up some deep scratches and a few dents that I have on my 4Runner. When I get fender flares, I may paint them silver to match the “swoosh”. Might not look that bad. Or, should I just not put any stripes or “swoosh” on my rig and just leave it plain? I’ll probably never go 4 wheeling (I’m 2wd) so I’m not too worried about scratching my stripes. Your opinion on this would be cool.

Thanks, Have fun.
DH6twinotter

doink 10-28-2002 06:44 PM

i think you are going the right way with the hairdryer. perhaps you could see if anyone around your area has a heat gun?. that would probably work a lot better. as for putting on another stripe, im a fan of the no stripe look myself, although, i still have one..so..i guess i shouldnt be talking:nerd: . im pretty sure there are some guys who have done this before in here, and hopefully, they will chime in. best of luck to ya:bigok:

tomus1000 10-28-2002 07:36 PM

rent a heat gun from your local rental place (Taylor Rental in your area?)

DH6twinotter 10-30-2002 03:47 PM

Thanks you all. I'll try the heat gun. No Taylor Rentals in this area. Do have King rentals though. Actually my boss may have a heat gun that I might could borrow. I guess I should find something to scrape the stripe off with. The sheet metal probably would get really hot.

Anymore ideas on what I should do about the replacement strip?

Thanks. Have fun. :)
DH6twinotter

Stump1883 10-30-2002 06:49 PM

Are there any ill effects of using heat guns on the Runner body paint. Any dis-coloration or fading due to the extream heat at close range. I want ym stripe off and I would rather do it meself. What are you using to scrape off the strip w/o damaging the paint in anyway?

Sorry for all the ?s this is just something that intrest me, b/c I have wanted mine off for awhile now, just haven't known where to start.

DH6twinotter 10-30-2002 07:04 PM

Stump1883---not sure about the heat, but I do know a pretty good way to get the strip off. Probably never guess....how about a plastic glow-in-the-dark star! :confused: Like one of those you can stick on the ceiling of your room. You can use the edge of the star and it didn't seem to scratch the paint or anything. It seems to be made from some soft plastic. Works great once the sticker is hot enough.

Well, have fun. :)
DH6twinotter

Cebby 10-30-2002 08:30 PM

Two Step

Taking the graphics off is a two step process.

I took mine off by using a heat gun (Not hair dryer). The trick is to get the sticker pliable, but not too hot. It is not easy to get off - will take some finesse. I used a body filler squigee once I got an edge up.

The second step is getting the goo off. I've always used WD40. Use a little elbow grease, and it comes off.

Follow with a good washing and a waxing. If there is discoloration, from where the decal was, you might need the buffer - take it slow or find someone proficient with the buffer. You can really mess up your paint if you don't know how to use it. :confused:

JTB82 11-03-2002 06:51 PM

If you can, try to find a product called "Quickpeel Gel". It is in an aresol can and takes anything off. I'm not sure where to buy it, because I work in a warehouse and we have stock of it. If you can find it, try that.