Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

ARB Bumper, how easy is it to install on a 3rd GEN -- Pics Included

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ARB Bumper, how easy is it to install on a 3rd GEN -- Pics Included

1st time poster

Funny story I met a gentlman in the potomac Mills parking lot (VA) with a gorgeous 4runner and he told me about this site. His license plate was Wrek-Div I think.

MickDaddy also recommended you all (another great guy whose helped me a lot).

So here is where I am at:
Cut and copy for another forum I posted this on
-------------------------------------------------
Hi guys Im going tomorrow to buy this from 4x4connection for $675

http://www.4by4connection.com/toy4runtac96.html

They said its fairly easy to install myself but I have no experience with this kind of job, any input? Any good walk throughs for this job?

So I got some responses and links but all the walk throughs showed a 4runner with straight rails on the end of the frame and I have flat plates.

I took off the bumper last night

I just took off my bumper prepping for tomorrow.. Im not feeling so good about this I dont see anynbody with these funny flat plates.

I dont want to do a permanent mod incase I ever want to sell her in 4-5 years and throw the stock bumper and shock absorption steel bar back on.

Last edited by JimmyK; 07-07-2005 at 10:50 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:46 AM
Banned

hmm...i cant really help ya but i live near you. If u need a hand let me know.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:50 AM
Contributing Member

In the process of installing the ARB, you need to cut the end plates off and modify the frame ends. I think all 4runners have the flat ends. Worst comes to worst, just save the mounting plates, and if you ever want to go back to stock, have someone weld them back on.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Localmotion
hmm...i cant really help ya but i live near you. If u need a hand let me know.
Hey there bud, so you think I got any other options? or other bumpers that can work and look as good too? Would you be able to help me cut those plates off if it REALLY came to that? That would be above and beyond, thanks.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There will be directions included with the bumper, I have only put on a TJM, not an ARB, I don't think it will be too hard.
One of my buddies has a 4runner and I have been under it and it has those plates you are talking about, so I don't think that is unusual.
Tacomas don't have those plates, at least the 98-99, there are crush cans in place of them, so depending on the write up, that could be part of the deal.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:56 AM
Contributing Member

you have to cut the plates. That is it. The ARb won't mount unless you cut them.
Old 07-07-2005, 10:58 AM

What year 4Runner do you have?
Old 07-07-2005, 10:59 AM
Contributing Member

make sure you have the appropriate size sockets and a torque wrench for the bumper brackets. An extra set of hands is nice to get the bumper aligned before tightening down. Fairly easy. Follow the instructions and it will be on sooner and easiet than you think.

Hint---the bumper plates that need to be removed are only tack welded on three sides. Take a cut off wheel and a BFH. they will pop right off
Old 07-07-2005, 11:20 AM

I got a 99 4Runner man.

Hey Filthy, Im ignorant so what exactly is a BFH?

And I called 4x4connection up and they called ARB and this is what they said. ARB doesnt recommend the Tacoma bumper for my 4runner they actually recommended a Prado ARB bumper.

But he also gave me another option something about a TJM, anybody know anything about that? or any ideas/input?

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
make sure you have the appropriate size sockets and a torque wrench for the bumper brackets. An extra set of hands is nice to get the bumper aligned before tightening down. Fairly easy. Follow the instructions and it will be on sooner and easiet than you think.

Hint---the bumper plates that need to be removed are only tack welded on three sides. Take a cut off wheel and a BFH. they will pop right off
Old 07-07-2005, 11:31 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by JimmyK
I got a 99 4Runner man.

And I called 4x4connection up and they called ARB and this is what they said. ARB doesnt recommend the Tacoma bumper for my 4runner they actually recommended a Prado ARB bumper.

But he also gave me another option something about a TJM, anybody know anything about that? or any ideas/input?

I love both the ARB and TJM. My wife has a 99 SR5 with the TJM and it looks incredible. There are slight differences. The brackets for say my ARB sahara are crush bumper brackets. The TJM are just mounting brackets--no crush-style.

Does it really matter???I have not heard of any compaints or problems with 3rd gen TJM owners. My wife is pregnant and her truck is 100% safe IMO.

The ARB is one piece. THe TJM is three. I like the TJM design. IfI didn't have the Limited with the flares I would have a TJM---they are cheaper.

The Limited comes with its price. It would drive me nuts to have a two tone truck with a black bumper (third color) . Looks out of place. So I take my expensive bumper and spend more $$$ on paint.

Big F---in Hammer
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got a 99 4Runner man.

BFH = Big Freaking Hammer...

well, you just hi thte spot welds w/ an angle grinder and the plates just fall off. then the ARB taco bull bar or ARB proado bull bar will slide right over the end of the frame rail.

the prado bar is about 3-4" wider than the taco bar. if you have a limited or an SR5 w/ the FAT flares, then the prado bar is what you want anyway.

i have the Prado ARB Sahara Bar. it has different mounting plates and you don't take the whole plate off, but just lop off the top and bottom to mount it...

here's some pics of my ARB Sahara Bar for a Proado. notice how WIDE it is compared to the FAT limited flares...

Last edited by bamachem; 07-07-2005 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

TJM no cutting, ARB cut the plates. I installed a TJM back in the day when all you could get was the 96-98 model.

If you cut the plates, cut them off and weld in an insert with bolt holes, then you could "bolt on" new plates some day.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/tjm.html
Old 07-07-2005, 11:43 AM

TJM's are pretty nice. Just go to www.tjmbumpers.com. I have a 99 4Runner as well and I actually prefer the look of the Prado ARB. The Prado was built on the same platform as the 4Runner, but sold in Europe.
Old 07-07-2005, 12:24 PM

I think Im just going to get the TJM T15 even though I also have a limited and my flares are going to be hanging out a little bit it seems like its the best bolt on I can get.

http://www.tjmbumpers.com/99-024runnert15.htm

Ill put the order in today then unless somebody else thinks I shouldnt or has a better option. Way too much fabrication and drilling with the ARB it seems for a lamen such as myself.
Old 07-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Contributing Member

I think Im just going to get the TJM T15 even though I also have a limited and my flares are going to be hanging out a little bit it seems like its the best bolt on I can get.

http://www.tjmbumpers.com/99-024runnert15.htm

Ill put the order in today then unless somebody else thinks I shouldnt or has a better option. Way too much fabrication and drilling with the ARB it seems for a lamen such as myself.
You will like the bumper. Just make sure the narrower front bumper is something you can live with
If you need a hand, let me know

Eric

Welcome to YT
Old 07-07-2005, 04:38 PM
Contributing Member

My Limited flares stick out maybe 1/2" beyond the ends of my T-15. I don't even notice the difference.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:47 PM

badlandbumpers.com makes nice bumpers with a better approach angle than arb/tjm. i like my arb though it is tough as %$@!

if i did it over though i might go with badlands.... definatly an option worth lookin into
Old 07-07-2005, 06:19 PM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
http://www.drawhorn.org/arb_and_m8000_installation.htm

I did the front frame rail mod as well and just slid the OEM bumper right back on and bolted it up on the sides...didn't move anywhere.

Old 07-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
You will like the bumper. Just make sure the narrower front bumper is something you can live with
If you need a hand, let me know

Eric

Welcome to YT

Hey guys I looked around and just went with the T15 from TJM, good solution for a beginner like me.

I sincerely wanted to say thanks, I dont mean to sound like some over sensitive sod but I think the fact that two people in this one thread in 5 hours have offered to actually come to my home and help me is amazing.

you guys rock

This forum definitely is going to be a new hang out for me, cheers and thanks for the prompt help

-Jimmy
Old 07-17-2005, 11:44 AM
Contributing Member

you all should check out tjm's website. theres a writeup of a landrover involved in a collision with a deer at about 75mph. pretty impressive. im sure an arb would have similar results; i think its definately worth the purchase. that 6-700 dollars is probably the best money that landrover owner ever spent now. he could have easily lost his life.

im definately saving up for a tjm15. i love the look, and i have small flares. one question i have though is about the winch capacity. on tjm's site it says the "winch capacity" is 9000 lbs. for the bumper. does that mean a bigger winch (bigger as in actual size) wont fit, or the bumper wouldnt stay mounted to the frame at more than 9000 lbs. of pressure?

Quick Reply: ARB Bumper, how easy is it to install on a 3rd GEN -- Pics Included