Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

anybody know this truck in san diego? 2002 TRD taco 5spd with supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 11:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
anybody know this truck in san diego? 2002 TRD taco 5spd with supercharger

2002 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab V6 with supercharger and URD mods.Via AutoTrader

there has to be some reason it's so cheap... anybody recognize it?
Old 03-28-2009, 01:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Damn thats a good deal! That is a nice looking Tacoma. Anyone know what wheels those are?
Old 03-28-2009, 05:06 AM

Running the Carfax on it might answer some quetions, but that's a no no on this forum
Old 03-28-2009, 08:06 AM
Contributing Member

Its probably a dealer that got it at auction that doesn't know what they have. Or judging by all the Pre-Running gear on it, it could have been in an accident. Who knows, but those appear to be weld wheels which are $$ and king shocks in the rear (if I am seeing it correctly) so it definitely appears to be built with some nice stuff! I'd go check it out!!
Old 03-28-2009, 08:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Using my crystal ball, it appears to have been wrecked in 08 and also been reported as true mileage unknown in the past.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:50 AM

yeah, I carfaxed it. it was wrecked, airbags deployed.... then sold at auction.
not sure I wanna chance it.
Old 03-28-2009, 11:08 AM

Honestly man, that truck is a good deal even in TX where the prices are way lower than out on the west coast. I say go for it! At that price you could fix a few things here and there and still be in lower than comparable Tacos.
Old 03-28-2009, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mtn Mike
Running the Carfax on it might answer some quetions, but that's a no no on this forum
Why's that?
Old 03-28-2009, 12:56 PM

Originally Posted by jdsdj98
Why's that?
I assume you are saying "why's that?" to the Carfax report issue on this site.
Running Carfax reports for others is not allowed as it violates the terms of Carfax. To steer clear of any issues arising from this, it is asked that reports are not run and posted for members by others.

https://www.yotatech.com/rules/updated/index3.htm

16. Carfax Reporting Service

When agreeing to your Carfax service, part of the terms and conditions of your contract state that you will not solicit nor charge for running Carfax reports.
It is a single user license.
Due to this, any threads asking to have a Carfax report run, or any threads by a licensed user of the Carfax service willing to run reports for people (for a charge or free) will be promptly removed and the member will be dealt with.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:01 PM

It is a shame that the past may be sketchy since that is a great price for that truck. Diff lock, 5spd, 4x4, supercharged, fuel mods. Sooo nice.
Old 03-28-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Godzilla
I assume you are saying "why's that?" to the Carfax report issue on this site.
That's exactly what I was asking. Thanks for the explanation. Makes sense.
Old 03-28-2009, 02:45 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Nice truck though.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:02 PM

I don't know how much good the supercharger is with those big heavy wheels/tires and a K&N? I thought using a K&N with a SC is a no no? I used to have a supercharger on my 4runner and didn't have any other mods and it really didn't work well for me. In fact it made my 4runner run worse. I know it's hard to believe but it did. I also think the TRD exhaust I added after the SC made it much more worse. I suck at modding. I gave up after a few years of messing with it. I couldn't afford all the URD upgrades so I took it off and sold it. And guess what, it didn't change my performance one bit after removing it. Makes me think it may be the TRD exhaust. I'll work on taking that crap off as well. I live in San Diego, and never seen that tacoma though.

Last edited by superduper; 03-28-2009 at 09:03 PM.
Old 03-28-2009, 09:38 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by mswfox
Honestly man, that truck is a good deal even in TX where the prices are way lower than out on the west coast.
Agreed, I got my 99 single cab 2.7 with 96k on it for 5200 out in Austin..

Same thing out here would have been 6500-7k...

Old 03-28-2009, 09:49 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Definetly a rebuilt truck.

Those sort of cheap deals can be found all over the place, but avoid that crap like the plague. rebuilders fix that stuff as cheap as possible, using the lowest quality stuff. hence why they can offer that truck for almost $5k lower that it would otherwise be worth.
Old 03-28-2009, 10:34 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Ahjsahfkj, That is a damn nice truck regardless...

Old 03-28-2009, 11:59 PM

it was probably a dealer trade so who knows where the truck actually came from i dont know if carfax will tell you that, if you can find the previous owner or insurance company and the shop they used t fix the truck to find out what was really damaged, maybe even consider taking it for a test drive.

just because airbags were deployed and body panels were replaced does not mean the truck is junk. it is still a toyota.
Old 03-29-2009, 12:10 AM

personally i would buy it, my dodge was in an accident then fixed before i got it but when i bought it, i got it for cheap and haven't had any problems since. I'd test drive it, look at it up close and then try to have them set up some kind of warranty just in case.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:49 AM

Originally Posted by yodercrawler55
personally i would buy it, my dodge was in an accident then fixed before i got it but when i bought it, i got it for cheap and haven't had any problems since. I'd test drive it, look at it up close and then try to have them set up some kind of warranty just in case.
Yeah. If it drives well, the body work is good, and the frame components are relatively strait, you'd have an awsome truck for a good deal; maybe one could even offer them $7000, knowing the history.

There's a car lot here in Spokane that seems to specialize in wrecked Tacoma's (except they don't tell you that of course). I had been looking at their trucks for a few months. When I was finally ready to buy, luckily I had the sense to run the Carfax reports and found that all the trucks on their lot were either wrecked or totalled. I would have still considered buying one, but they wouldn't budge on the prices. (still wanted approximately Blue book). They're probably able to sell them to the people that don't check Carfax or do an inspection of the body and frame.

Last edited by Mtn Mike; 03-29-2009 at 05:50 AM.
Old 03-29-2009, 05:50 AM

It really just depends on your specific financial situation. If this truck needs to be your reliable daily driver, I would stay away from something rebuilt like this. If this is just a hobby and a secondary vehicle to you, it may still be worth it. Also, is the Title Salvaged? If it is, don't pay near what they are asking if you still want it. I used to work for a dealership and salvage title vehicles should never sell for more than 5 grand, not even if its a Mercedes Benz that originally cost 50 grand. Problem being that if you buy a salvage title truck you had better like it, because you will be stuck with it forever.

Quick Reply: anybody know this truck in san diego? 2002 TRD taco 5spd with supercharger