Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 06:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Great stuff! I know you want to make these for a local.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:43 AM

PM me what town you live in and what year your truck is. We might be able to make a deal. Either by making a set or selling/trading you the ones currently in my truck!
Old 09-16-2010, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by piperoo
Great stuff! I know you want to make these for a local.
You'll have to get in line lol. I've had a least a dozen or so requests to make them...I just can't seem to find the time to do it.

Seriously though, if you ever to care to see them in person, feel free to PM me sometime and we can meet up. I'll be glad to give you some pointers.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:58 PM

This is great stuff!

I'm looking on retrofit source inc website right now.

I was just viewing your build up thread about your headlights. I have a few question for you before i make a decision. I think i pretty much convinced myself to go with projectors route instead of hid. If these questions are already covered... My apologizes, i must have missed it somewhere. Please reply here so i and others can see it.

1. Did you have to upgrade your 4runner stock wiring harness? For instance 4crawler website has a wire harness upgrade and they are out of order.... idk where else to order from except for tricky ebay sellers and I dont know if retrofitsource will include a wire harness in the projectors kit.

2. So i was on their web site (theretrofitsource) They seem to have alot of options. I'm still new to this and i do want to get the best i possiblily can out of the first time around. I emailed them to see what their recommendation is and they only generally recommend me either the FX-R Stage III or the Mini D2S Stage III. What do you think? When looking at the kits, on the right side of the web site. There is 7 choices you can pick for ballast, bulbs... etc I like that you can be choosy but i dont want to pick the wrong ones lol

3. Last part that is on my mind and worries me... After you screw in the projector into the head lamp.... how do you even "adjust" the light to go up or down, so that you dont blind people? I dont see how this is possible without screwing/unscrewing the projector few times to get perfect result. I could see how this could get messy and ruin a new 70$ headlamp.
Old 01-19-2012, 02:16 PM

This looks pretty bad ass.... Think i'd like to do this too

Name:  2010-08-28_14-56-05_601.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  110.8 KB
Name:  2010-08-28_14-55-54_367.jpg
Views: 312
Size:  125.2 KB

Last edited by bvet4dog; 01-19-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-19-2012, 06:10 PM

Originally Posted by bvet4dog
This is great stuff!

I was just viewing your build up thread about your headlights. I have a few question for you before i make a decision. I think i pretty much convinced myself to go with projectors route instead of hid. If these questions are already covered... My apologizes, i must have missed it somewhere. Please reply here so i and others can see it.

1. Did you have to upgrade your 4runner stock wiring harness? For instance 4crawler website has a wire harness upgrade and they are out of order.... idk where else to order from except for tricky ebay sellers and I dont know if retrofitsource will include a wire harness in the projectors kit.

2. So i was on their web site (theretrofitsource) They seem to have alot of options. I'm still new to this and i do want to get the best i possiblily can out of the first time around. I emailed them to see what their recommendation is and they only generally recommend me either the FX-R Stage III or the Mini D2S Stage III. What do you think? When looking at the kits, on the right side of the web site. There is 7 choices you can pick for ballast, bulbs... etc I like that you can be choosy but i dont want to pick the wrong ones lol

3. Last part that is on my mind and worries me... After you screw in the projector into the head lamp.... how do you even "adjust" the light to go up or down, so that you dont blind people? I dont see how this is possible without screwing/unscrewing the projector few times to get perfect result. I could see how this could get messy and ruin a new 70$ headlamp.
I just recently completed a retofit so i can help you out.

1. I got my kit from the retofit source and it does come with the wire harness.

2. The options for the kits are best options so you dont have to worry about picking and choosing if one thing will work with another. Some of the optional things on the left hand side are projectors that came out of Porsches and other high end vehicles. I ended up getting frx stage 4. and the fog lights. Difference between the 3 and 4 are the ballast and bulbs. Just pick one of the kits and pay attention to the shroud they recommend with the projector you get some will not fit on the frx projector with out major modification.

3. Aiming was a concern for me as well. I was going to drill 4 holes in the back of the housing when i came across he jnc method on hidplanet. It basically uses L brackets to bolt the projector to the bottom of the housing. and a 3rd bolt for pitch adjustment. I used this method minus the pitch adjustment and just using the adjustment screws on the housing of the light i am able to get the lights sorted out. Edit: I missed this first time around. With the FRX projector you will need to cut a hole in the new housing in order to accommodate the projector. I have a pic on my camera if you want to see what i mean. with the other projector im not so sure.

Hardest part for me was doing a double angel eye in one unit without having light show behind the shroud and the initial mounting until i came across the jnc mod. Dont be afraid to email or even call the guys there at the retrofit source. I walked in there store 2 or 3 times to pickup parts or exchange shrouds.

Two suggestions
To anyone wanting to go this route. Get the blazer fog lights and wire them up. You can get better lighting for cheap right away and it will take maybe an hour and a half once you get the right hardware They are WAY better than stock even though they are yellow it will illuminate the entire road and you wont get flashed for blinding anyone.
Also wait until they have a sale. check the site daily, I ordered everything during turkey day and saved about $150 if not more.
Attached Thumbnails Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*-1.jpg   Another HID Bi-xenon Retrofit Install *PICS*-2.jpg  

Last edited by shintoroi; 01-20-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

See my remarks in yellow below:

Originally Posted by bvet4dog
This is great stuff!

-I just purchased a D2S wiring harness off ebay that was a plug-n-play harness. Only $30.00 shipped. So anotherwords, I didn't have to upgrade the harness, just had to use a different type of wiring harness.

-Sorry, no help here. I pieced my kit together all over...ebay, fellow YT members and other sources over a period of a month or so. See the remark the previous member said about the retrofit source. From what I've heard, they sell good stuff.

- The key is getting the projector mounted in the headlight PERFECTLY level and STRAIGHT. Once you do that, you can adjust the beam using the headlight adjustment screws on the outside of the headlight. You must mount the projector perfectly horizontal, as your only adjustments will be up & down or left & right...as seen here: Headlight adjustment

Last edited by Rock Slide; 01-19-2012 at 07:35 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:13 AM

Thank you!

I think i will be ordering in an hour once my check has been deposited. Here's what i've got picked out so far.

FX-R stage III kit from TRS
Ballasts: morimoto 5five 50w
Bulbs: 5five 5000k d2s
CCFL angel eyes : yes
Projectors: North american standard
Resealing glue: yes
Shrouds: Gatling gun
Wire harness: H4/9003

I just need to be sure to not forget about ordering extra headlamps in case i ˟˟˟˟ up lol. Cant wait to put it in my ride. I am definitely going to paint it all black like the picture i posted and it'll look good with dark color 4runner like mine.

one more question for you rock slide. On the website in the kit's specs, it says it comes with clear lenses..... Did you get that or did it come with other lenses you had before replacing it with the TSX lenses? I'm just looking at your retrofit thread and you explained about using TSX lenses.... i liked what i saw in your thread.

Thanks again for helping me out. I wouldn't be thinking about this method if it wasn't for every one's input and their DIY walk through guides.
Old 01-20-2012, 10:34 AM
Contributing Member

Sure no prob.

Yes I did replace the lenses first. The projector lenses that came standard on the Infinity FX suv had what they considered "clear lenses". However, you can tell from my photos, those lenses are not truly clear. Thus I purcased a set of Acura TSX projectors which come with amazingly clear lenses. Took out the TSX lenses and installed them in my FX projectors. Then turned around and sold the FX lenses & TSX projectors (separate sales of course) thru ebay to make back some money.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:12 AM

Then I better add some to add tsx lens in my shopping cart. I see trs has a section for accesories and i think there is some tsx lens for sale.you think the prices are reasonable? It seems you were not pleased with the stock lens on fx-r but is it something that you wanted to change or was it unbearable to keep it on stock lens. I'm just curious because you have the first hand experiance and i want to do the best i can while im at it.... Know what I mean?

http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pro...roducts_id=135

Would this be the same lenses you have? I only see this lense or ordering the projector unit which is another 220$.... I dont mind spending the extra 50$ if it's something that's worthwhile

Last edited by bvet4dog; 01-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
Old 01-20-2012, 12:01 PM

I just viewed a you tube video about FXR in action. This guy was able to move his lights up and down... I never seen that before. From what i've gathered, it's called Servo Motor that does the movements. Is this something we can put in our 4runner's?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NCCY...eature=related

Last edited by bvet4dog; 01-20-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:37 PM
Contributing Member

As far as the lenses go - Yes, the TSX lenses are what you want. Just look at my comparision shots I posted a few pages back...you can literally see the difference in clarity between the FX & TSX lenses. Def get the TSX lenses.

For the servo motors, I'll have to watch that link when I get home...I'm blocked from youtube here at work. You may want to look into that option. And yes, if you have a black 4Runner, def black out your headlight housings. I'd do it if I had a black 4Runner.

I did this retro 3.5 years ago...as you can see from the date on my very first post in this thread. At the time, there were only a handful of us 4Runner owners here on YT doing retros (well at least we were the only ones posting up about doing it) and we had limited parts to use. With that said, I've been very pleased with my retro and everything still works just like the day I installed it. You buy quality, you should get quality.

To be honest though, having done the retro, I've since been out of the HID/retro world on what's the latest and greatest parts to use. Why fix what works right? Seriously though, ask any questions you like, Just know I'm not up on all the newest stuff avail now. TRS is a good resource, as is HIDplanet.com and of course fellow YT members that have also done retros.
Old 01-20-2012, 01:42 PM

Yes its possible. There are servos in the RC and robotic industry that can do this. If you can get it perfectly level then you can use a digital metal gear servo to control the tilt. It wouldn't be an easy mod but doable.

Last edited by shintoroi; 01-21-2012 at 03:14 AM.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:10 AM

Hmm i will have to take a look into the servo motor idea. I am very interested in doing this. Moving your light placements on the fly seems to be a brilliant idea. But the only cons i can see from this, trying to put it back to original DOT setting on the road probably would be difficult unless you're doing the alignments allover again.

I cant wait for the stuff to come to my door step. I know it's weekend and only a couple days has passed.... i already went out shopping for supplies i will need for the retrofit. The only last thing i need is paint. Truth is, i'm not sure what or which paint to get. I did a search and couldn't find which paint fellow YT members has used. I assume any "high temp" paint should do the job but i worry about the possible results such as flaking, peeling from constant heat or dramatic temp change from hot / cold during winter. Other than that, i think i'm sort of like a kid who's eager to open presents long before Christmas day except the waiting game has to be played..... lol
Old 06-04-2014, 06:54 PM

Did this and feels like could have done better... Purchasing new shroud with CCFL rings and re-do soon... Nice work there TS... very neat... Oops... Forgive me if im in a wrong room as this is older 4runner...

Last edited by Borneo4runner; 06-04-2014 at 06:56 PM.