Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners
Old 02-09-2016, 04:51 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Toyota 4Runner Specifications & General Maintenance
Print Wikipost

All the Mods that can be done to a 3rd gen 4runner. Contest! Who knows the most?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This mod is pretty much self-explanatory.....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557102

The only 3rd gen I've ever liked
Old 04-30-2007, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Ah, yeah there are like 5000 listing on ebay for them. It took me FOREVER to find the best one. Here is the one i bought because they had the H4-2 bulb. Look through there store they have a lot. Once i get them in and installed i will post how they are...

Ebay item I bought
This guy has 17 negative feedbacks in the last 30 days and you still did business with him? Hope it works out well for you, but I'd be skeptical. Even some of his positive feedbacks were littered with comments like "wrong color" and "kit not complete".

And honestly, just donate the cash to the site. All it is, is a copy and paste contest. Between the Tech sections and Bob's website I think most things are covered, and if they were not than they should be added to the Tech write ups.
Old 04-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whitey13
This guy has 17 negative feedbacks in the last 30 days and you still did business with him? Hope it works out well for you, but I'd be skeptical. Even some of his positive feedbacks were littered with comments like "wrong color" and "kit not complete".

And honestly, just donate the cash to the site. All it is, is a copy and paste contest. Between the Tech sections and Bob's website I think most things are covered, and if they were not than they should be added to the Tech write ups.
Yeah, i saw that he had some negs but i also saw that they were the only ones that had the H4-2 bulbs at a good price. Believe me, i looked for over 6 hours at all the options. And overall his feedback was about on par with all the other sellers in that area. I got it in today and it looks good. All the parts are there. I plan on installing it next week. will post how it goes.

As for this thread, yeah, it is just a copy and paste thread. But when i was looking for all these type of things back when i was looking for them a few months ago i would have LOVED to find an all in one "dictionary" of all the mods that could be done. It took me weeks of going through all the different sites. And all the while I had to figure out if the mod was a 3rd gen or not.

My goal with this thread was not to bring out any new mods but to just have an all in one thread for the future modder that didn?t have a clue where to start. With links to the mods as well. That is one big problem I had when looking up mods. I would hear of one on here and when I would try to search for it, it would take FOREVER to find any real info (the search on here need some serious help BTW, I was messing around and tried to search for a thread I had started and it would not come up). This way there is an index of all the mods AND links to them for easy access. Looking through the write up section is great but it still does not have everything and it is also not the easiest thing to look through. If/When this thread ever gets a lot of mods in it I will take them all and make a nice and neat new thread with them all there so that future people can see them.

Originally Posted by surf4runner
what about the running board removal / slider install mod?

no pix, i havent done it yet
No link, no point. LOL

Originally Posted by Cargun
This mod is pretty much self-explanatory.....

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=557102

The only 3rd gen I've ever liked
Good 1 point
Old 05-01-2007, 01:07 AM
Contributing Member

DIY On-board air with Caddy compressors: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/do-yourself-onboard-air-75748/

E-locker Retrofit (for rigs not equipped with e-locker from the factory):http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/
Old 05-01-2007, 01:15 AM
Contributing Member

2 for 1 coming up:

Throttle Body Bore and "O" Gasket mods: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...t=o+gasket+mod
Old 05-01-2007, 07:28 AM
Contributing Member

Well, i guess that is 4 more for you!
Old 05-01-2007, 01:55 PM

Rear Cargo Box and Sleeping Platform https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f129/skyrats-rear-cargo-box-sleeping-platform-3rd-gen-4runner-76673/
Old 05-01-2007, 01:58 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by azblue3.slow
Rear Cargo Box and Sleeping Platform https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76673
I'm thinking about this same kind of idea, except it would go into the floor. I'm considering cutting a hole into the floor and putting a box where the spare tire used to be. Since I can't carry a spare tire under there, I might as well make use of the space, and put an access panel up top to get to the stuff.

Great idea on the drawer sliders through
Old 05-01-2007, 02:59 PM
Contributing Member

Good, job! 1 point!
Old 05-04-2007, 06:59 PM

I thought of a new mod today but there is no link and for that matter I haven't seen it done yet. So someone should give it a try.

The idea that I had was for a mod that would allow for the front passenger seat to fold flat/foward. Kind of like in the new nissan frontier pickup. Where the passenger seat folds flat.

If there is link to this or if it has been done someone should post that link. Heck do that mod then the sleeping platform mod (w/ an extension piece) to allow for a taller person on one side.

Just an idea.

Last edited by wormhole; 05-04-2007 at 07:00 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Contributing Member

Interresting idea, not sure how you would go about doing it but if you could that would be cool!
Old 05-13-2007, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Yeah, i saw that he had some negs but i also saw that they were the only ones that had the H4-2 bulbs at a good price. Believe me, i looked for over 6 hours at all the options. And overall his feedback was about on par with all the other sellers in that area. I got it in today and it looks good. All the parts are there. I plan on installing it next week. will post how it goes.

Good 1 point
Have you tested out the HID at all yet? I'm very curious to see how these work. Might be something that would be good for a driving light conversion.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:27 PM
Contributing Member

Not yet, last weekend i had something come up and didn't get time and this weekend it is poring rain! I might get a chance this week and if not they go on next weekend no matter what!

I have quite a few parts i am going to install, i am going to take lots of pictures and do some writeups on them. So watch for those threads!
Old 08-01-2007, 02:28 PM

lot of great info here. I love this forum. Any chance all the mods could be put into a sticky?
Old 08-06-2007, 06:10 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by LuminoZ
lot of great info here. I love this forum. Any chance all the mods could be put into a sticky?
Not a bad idea really but there were not enough responses and mods here to be a sticky...yet

Oh and this also reminded me that i have yet to post a review on the HID light i put in. I will need to get on that. I will say that they work great though!
Old 08-21-2007, 09:12 AM

I still think this should be a sticky... I mean there are only four so far... Why not make this a sticky with a reformatted list so that people don't have to make a new thread to ask common questions?

Last edited by LuminoZ; 08-21-2007 at 09:26 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 11:09 PM
Contributing Member

I agree, and a similar thread should be made for the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.......
Old 09-18-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bskey
I agree, and a similar thread should be made for the 1st Gen and 2nd Gen.......
For it to do that we would need more mods to be listed here for sure. I know there are more out there we just need to get them in here like the rest and if we get enough then we can petition the mods to think about it.
Old 09-29-2007, 08:51 PM

Here's one I came up with for that anoying power antenna that keeps going up and down when your stereo is turned on and off.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/i...mokers-102415/
Old 09-29-2007, 10:07 PM

Not looking for points. Just adding to the list. Don't know if these were mentioned:

1. Throttle body coolant bypass: Your coolant flows through the throttle body and heats it up to 180-190 deg. Defeats the purpose of having a "cold air intake."

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/sho...e+body+coolant

2. For you automatics. Tighten the transmission kickdown cable. Shortens shift time. Mark, (midiwall), gives a terrific synopsis in the following link. I tightened this as much as possible - to the point where the jacket rides on the cable itself and the 14 mm nut is all the way at the end of the thread.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t...arounds-86978/

3. Valve body shims - Shortens shift time. Does half of the IPT/Level 10 VB mod. See Speedy's supercharger thread pg 26 and 27. Cost me $8 for the shims, 5 quarts of tranny fluid, $12 for a VB gasket, and a couple hours of labor.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/s...9/index27.html

More info in Speedy's CT thread:

http://www.customtacos.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97198

Quick Reply: All the Mods that can be done to a 3rd gen 4runner. Contest! Who knows the most?