Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

alcohol as fuel?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
alcohol as fuel?

Will a stock 1985 toyota pick 22r run off of pure alcohol as fuel instead of gasoline? If so will it damage anything?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:06 PM

Got a match?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:24 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Alcohol will dry out all the rubber seals in your fuel injection. Many seals are silicone now but I would not trust it at all. Yes, the engine will likely run but very poorly at best because the stoichiometric ratios are different from alcohol to gas. The engine will also run much cooler than if you burn gas.
Old 06-04-2004, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Alcohol will dry out all the rubber seals in your fuel injection. Many seals are silicone now but I would not trust it at all. Yes, the engine will likely run but very poorly at best because the stoichiometric ratios are different from alcohol to gas. The engine will also run much cooler than if you burn gas.
In your opinion will the damage be servere if the alcohol is only ran for 20 minutes?
Old 06-04-2004, 06:58 PM

i thought alcohol softened rubber?
Old 06-04-2004, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by terky
i thought alcohol softened rubber?
I thought alcohol tastes good.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:04 PM

I would imagine that, yes it would damage the engine. Alcohol burns hotter than gas there for, you have a chance of your heads getting warped. Also, the carb wasn't ever made to run off of alcohol. The mixture won't be right at all.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by oly884
I would imagine that, yes it would damage the engine. Alcohol burns hotter than gas there for, you have a chance of your heads getting warped.
The engine will also run much cooler than if you burn gas.

I agree with Jamie, I think the engine will run cooler also. I not really worried about damage to the engine. I am concerned about the fuel delivery system (rubber seals and carberator gaskets)
Old 06-04-2004, 07:30 PM

Originally Posted by 2wd1stgen
The engine will also run much cooler than if you burn gas.

I agree with Jamie, I think the engine will run cooler also. I not really worried about damage to the engine. I am concerned about the fuel delivery system (rubber seals and carberator gaskets)
But not in the combustion chamber where it will burn hotter hence warping a head like was said. Right or wrong? Im not being sarcastic or anything, curious myself.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Alcohol has about half the BTU's of gasoline. Carbs & EFI need major reworking to run alcohol, the mixture needs to be around 8:1. Your typical alcohol dragster crew chief would liken an alcohol carb to a garden hose, the fuel literally pours in. As such, your mileage will drop dramatically. For the general consumer, alcohol is a band-aid. It helps extend the gasoline but it has no practical use by itself.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
But not in the combustion chamber where it will burn hotter hence warping a head like was said. Right or wrong? Im not being sarcastic or anything, curious myself.
You are probably right. I am far from an expert. I apperciate all input. This running on alcohol is not intended to enhance performance just improve emmision for about 20 minutes give or take. Then its back to good ole gasoline. But before I run with this willie cyotte idea I want to make the sure I am not causing any type of major or ever minor damage.
Old 06-04-2004, 07:45 PM

For the general consumer, alcohol is a band-aid. It helps extend the gasoline but it has no practical use by itself.[/QUOTE]

What do you mean by extend the gasoline? How high of a percentage of alcohol to gas mixture would you feel comfortable running?
Old 06-05-2004, 04:51 AM

Originally Posted by BigBadBlue
I thought alcohol tastes good.
Alcohol fuels me...
Old 06-05-2004, 05:53 AM
Contributing Member

The alcohol you're talking about is probably ethanol, C2H5OH...Grain alcohol.

Most gas/alcohol mixes use less than 10% alcohol by volume if I remember correctly. Alcohol also has a lower boiling point than gasoline...I'll try to look the specs later today. But if you try to use it in the summer, with higher engine temperatures, you'll probably vaporlock...a condition most of you youngsters have never heard of. Essentially you develop a bubble of vapor between the fuel pump and the engine that can't be pushed through by the fuel pump...and so your engine stops. That's why you don't see alcohol fuel mixes after April in most places.

Alcohol does have an oxygen atom in its chemical formula which is released in the combustion reaction and reacts with the hydrocarbon oxygen mixture in the combustion chamber and lowers the amount of CO produced (toxic and attaches to red blood cells rendering them useless) and increases the amount of CO2 produced. I don't know about its effects on the NO2...but since it has fewer BTU's than gas, it would probably lower combustion temperatures and the subsequent NO2 which is a brownish, toxic gas and is a major component of the brown haze that hangs over cities during winter temperature inversions.

Ethanol is good stuff, but some of its physical properties make it suitable only during cooler times of the year (and then in limited amounts) without some reworking of your fuel system.
Old 06-05-2004, 08:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 2wd1stgen
Originally Posted by toy283
For the general consumer, alcohol is a band-aid. It helps extend the gasoline but it has no practical use by itself.
What do you mean by extend the gasoline? How high of a percentage of alcohol to gas mixture would you feel comfortable running?
Well if you have a mixture that is 15% alcohol, then you're using 15% less gasoline. It may not make a difference to the consumer, but on the whole, if everyone is using 15% less gasoline, the stocks will last that much longer.

There is supposedly that E85 stuff out there that is 85% ethanol. The gasoline that is in it is probably necessary to increase the BTU rating of the alcohol and make it useable with only light mods to the fuel system. I've never seen the stuff myself (probably very common in farm country) so I'm not sure about how it would run in a standard gasoline vehicle.

Last edited by toy283; 06-05-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

If your looking for an alternative, why not try propane? Theres a guy in Phoenix, Az. that sells a kit for the 22r (carbed) motor that looks interesting.
I think he's at Gotprpane.com and he sells the kits for under a grand. Improves angles big time, better milage and cleaner burning. Why alcohol?
Old 06-05-2004, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by flecker
If your looking for an alternative, why not try propane? Theres a guy in Phoenix, Az. that sells a kit for the 22r (carbed) motor that looks interesting.
I think he's at Gotprpane.com and he sells the kits for under a grand. Improves angles big time, better milage and cleaner burning. Why alcohol?
My whole idea of using alcohol as fuel is to pass a smog test with out actually fixing what is wrong with the engine causing it to fail smog. I will fix the problem as soon as figure out whats wrong it but in mean time I need to register the truck. Thank you for your propane idea but I want to stick with gasoline until the price reaches $4/gallon then im catching the bus.
Old 06-05-2004, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by gwhayduke
The alcohol you're talking about is probably ethanol, C2H5OH...Grain alcohol.

Most gas/alcohol mixes use less than 10% alcohol by volume if I remember correctly. Alcohol also has a lower boiling point than gasoline...I'll try to look the specs later today. But if you try to use it in the summer, with higher engine temperatures, you'll probably vaporlock...a condition most of you youngsters have never heard of. Essentially you develop a bubble of vapor between the fuel pump and the engine that can't be pushed through by the fuel pump...and so your engine stops. That's why you don't see alcohol fuel mixes after April in most places.

Alcohol does have an oxygen atom in its chemical formula which is released in the combustion reaction and reacts with the hydrocarbon oxygen mixture in the combustion chamber and lowers the amount of CO produced (toxic and attaches to red blood cells rendering them useless) and increases the amount of CO2 produced. I don't know about its effects on the NO2...but since it has fewer BTU's than gas, it would probably lower combustion temperatures and the subsequent NO2 which is a brownish, toxic gas and is a major component of the brown haze that hangs over cities during winter temperature inversions.

Ethanol is good stuff, but some of its physical properties make it suitable only during cooler times of the year (and then in limited amounts) without some reworking of your fuel system.

I am actually planing on using isoprpanol because I can get it for free. Do you think this stuff will work the same a ethanol?
Old 06-05-2004, 03:42 PM

They smog check an 85, I thought the tail pipe test was for 96 and newer
Old 06-05-2004, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by EDGE
They smog check an 85, I thought the tail pipe test was for 96 and newer
It california they smog check every thing newer than 30 years I think (don't quote me on this) But they definitely what a smog check for a 85.

Quick Reply: alcohol as fuel?