YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   Air filter soaked in gas (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/air-filter-soaked-gas-276523/)

vweggie 01-03-2014 04:08 PM

Air filter soaked in gas

I've been trying to track down a strong smell of gas coming from the engine without much success so I had a look with a mechanic today and he found that the bottom half of the air filter is soaked with gas. He's going to start by checking the evap system on Monday. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? It's 3.4L 1999 4runner.

wyoming9 01-04-2014 03:19 AM

:think: Had you been working on the fuel system at all??

Around The Evap System??

That you might have switched some lines around?/

I need to look closer but i would think if something has failed in the Evap system it is possible to draw liquid out of the tank like what your issue is.

vweggie 01-04-2014 09:38 PM

The only thing I've done is replace the air filter and reset the EFI relay. The old air filter wasn't soaked in gas. So something changed after I put the new one in.

Jomoka 01-05-2014 04:52 AM

We had my wife's '96 at some fairly steep downward angles once on a trail, and the evap 'moo box' system was going crazy, and there was a smell of gas wafting around the front of the car. But the cause and effect there was pretty clear.

tantacoma 01-06-2014 04:20 PM

Did the mechanic figure anything out?

vweggie 01-07-2014 03:14 PM

He said it was the fuel pressure regulator.

TheDurk 01-07-2014 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by vweggie (Post 52155951)
He said it was the fuel pressure regulator.

So it was overloading the injectors and flowing upstream through the manifold all the way to the airbox? Wow, I didn't know that could happen

Jomoka 01-08-2014 05:17 AM

The FPR regulates fuel pressure vs. the manifold air pressure, by using a diaphragm with the fuel on one side, and the air on the other (plus a spring). If the diaphragm develops a leak, fuel will go through the FPR and into the intake via the hose.

Generally, when this is happening, there's so much gas in the intake that the engine won't run, and it can even hydrolock. This must have been a fairly small leak?

TheDurk 01-08-2014 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by Jomoka (Post 52156173)
The FPR regulates fuel pressure vs. the manifold air pressure, by using a diaphragm with the fuel on one side, and the air on the other (plus a spring). If the diaphragm develops a leak, fuel will go through the FPR and into the intake via the hose.

Generally, when this is happening, there's so much gas in the intake that the engine won't run, and it can even hydrolock. This must have been a fairly small leak?

Thanks. That makes sense now.

vweggie 01-09-2014 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jomoka (Post 52156173)

Yes, this is what he said. It must have been a small leak because it ran fine except for hard starts after it had been running awhile. Started fine first thing in the morning after all the fuel had evaporated from the air filter.

vweggie 01-09-2014 05:38 PM

I should also add that replacing the FPR cured the problem of the engine bogging when flooring the accelerator.