Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Are ADD hubs pretty much just manual hubs that are always locked?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2005, 02:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Are ADD hubs pretty much just manual hubs that are always locked?

From what I've read, I can't really tell the difference between ADD hubs and manual hubs that are always locked. With ADD the drivetrain is always spinning, isn't that the same as manual hubs that are in the locked position?
Old 11-11-2005, 02:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ADD trucks are equipped with flanges.... Check out this thread, it might help:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f31/add-flanges-sfa-1st-gen-ifs-70868/

Basically a flange acts as a solid connection between the CV shaft and a wheel, opposed to a selectable connection like a hub.

Last edited by colsoncj; 11-11-2005 at 02:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:30 PM

Yes, the add flanges are like a locked hub. However, with a hub, you can unlock it to keep the drivetrain from moving.
Old 11-11-2005, 02:41 PM

damn so those "add hubs" are kind of misrepresented if you ask me, i mean they arent really autolocking at all, theyre just always locked
Old 11-11-2005, 02:43 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
you got it
Old 11-11-2005, 03:03 PM

The ADD is autolocking.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a little more to it than that, but first I'd like to commend GradSR5 on searching and asking an intelligent question. Bravo!!

In addition to the drive flanges, the other components in the ADD system include an actuator on the long side of the front diff assembly that uses vacuum to disconnect the axle shaft from the diff. The rigs that came with manual hubs from the factory, don't have this actuator and all the related stuff, so they are a simpler more reliable system (by fewer parts). When I regeared, I just used an older non-ADD style front pig so I eliminated all the ADD stuff on mine with no ill-effects. I had replaced the flanges with manual hubs previously.

And no, ADD is not Autolocking. That is something different completely.

Last edited by Cebby; 11-11-2005 at 08:07 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 03:43 PM

Take a look at one.

There are NO moving pieces, locking parts or ANYTHING LIKE THAT in an ADD drive flange.
Old 11-11-2005, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by runethechamp
The ADD is autolocking.
no, ADD ARE LOCKED by definition. since the flange connects the hub to the axleshaft.

toyota did come out with auto locking hubs. and from all reports i read, they would unlock at the worse moment...

ADD is not even part of the hubs. or visa versa.

it's the machanism that connects the driver's axleshaft to the differential.

ADD=auto disconnecting differential...
Old 11-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by GradSR5
From what I've read, I can't really tell the difference between ADD hubs and manual hubs that are always locked. With ADD the drivetrain is always spinning, isn't that the same as manual hubs that are in the locked position?
Your best bet is to convert to manual hubs. Use the search it has been done many times. It would probably save you a couple of dollars in gas too. Manual hubs are easy to rebuild and put less strain on the front drive system. If you are super lazy then stick with the Auto/ADD

James
Old 11-11-2005, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by ldivinag
no, ADD ARE LOCKED by definition. since the flange connects the hub to the axleshaft.

toyota did come out with auto locking hubs. and from all reports i read, they would unlock at the worse moment...

ADD is not even part of the hubs. or visa versa.

it's the machanism that connects the driver's axleshaft to the differential.

ADD=auto disconnecting differential...
Just read my post again. I said the ADD is auto locking. I never mentioned the hubs/flanges. The AUTOmatic Disconnecting Differential sleeve connects the axle automatically when you shift into 4wd.
Old 11-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

worse than the ADD is the AUTO hubs. They were on my 4runner for all its life up until about 1 1/2 years ago. Its fun goin through mud with 4wd engaged and wondering why you're stuck. Def. go with manual hubs if you plan on changing. My best investment yet.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by Cebby
There's a little more to it than that, but first I'd like to commend 6lug on searching and asking an intelligent question. Bravo!!
Actually, I didnt ask the question.

Last edited by Cebby; 11-11-2005 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by 6lug
Actually, I didnt ask the question.
Oops! Sorry about that - fixed my post.
Old 11-11-2005, 08:27 PM

no worries
Old 11-12-2005, 10:43 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Sounds like some folks don't understand the 3 systems. (Three mentioned in this thread - there is also AWD - but lets leave that to the soccer moms...)

Manual hubs: When 4wd is engaged the front driveshaft drives the front diff and the front axle shafts turn. You manually engage and disengage the hubs by turning the lock ring on the hub by hand. Simplest and most reliable.

Auto hubs: When 4wd is engaged the front driveshaft drives the front diff and the front axle shafts turn. The axle torque to the cam mechanism inside the hubs themselves causes the hubs to engage to get the wheels to drive. To disengage it you put the transfer case back in 2wd and back up to get the hubs to disengage themselves. Note that in 4wd when you back up they must disengage then re-engage the other way - slamming back and forth (rocking) while stuck is a sure way to explode an auto hub. They are still quite simple but very weak and notoriously unreliable.

ADD: There are no 'hub' mechanisms. The "hub" is just a solid steel flange - so the axle shafts turn all the time with the tires. Instead, the front end engages into 4wd with the ADD mechanism - a vacuum operated axle disconnect which consists of a sliding splined sleeve on one front drive axle. In 2wd one drive axle is disconnected, owing to the action of the differential this 'unlocks' the front end. To engage 4wd, when the tcase is put in 4wd, vacuum is sent to the ADD mechanism, engaging the disconnected axle and now the front end works normally. To disengage, shift back into 2wd and vacuum will unlock that one axle allowing the front end to be non-driving again. The system is very strong and reliable - it's used in some form on nearly every 4wd made today. Once you get up to 35"+ tires and very severe 4wheeling you may find the strength limit. 99% of us could never break it. The vacuum switching valves and wiring are the only thing that are likely to need repair in time, but they are simple. Contrary to common conception, this system does not cost measureable fuel economy - the disconnected parts have so little resistance it makes no real difference.

Last edited by Flamedx4; 11-12-2005 at 10:46 AM.
Old 11-13-2005, 07:27 AM

What Flamedx4 said..

And.. I put manual hubs & locked the diff slider to engaged with a hose clamp on my '90.. worked like a manual system, trouble free after that..

Worked so well, I shoulda done it in '93 when I bought it.. would do my '96 if it had mounting holes on the stock hups.. whole nuther story..
Old 11-13-2005, 09:20 AM
Contributing Member

I suppose technically you could keep the ADD and have manual hubs also.
Old 11-13-2005, 10:35 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
Originally Posted by bob200587
I suppose technically you could keep the ADD and have manual hubs also.
You bet. LOtsa people (including me) have done that. Best of both, you can lock the hubs beforehand and shift on the fly (nice in winter) or unlock for your day to day driving.
Old 11-13-2005, 01:20 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
But you didn't notice any gas mileage improvement?

Quick Reply: Are ADD hubs pretty much just manual hubs that are always locked?