Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99' 4Runner Won't Go Above 20mph After Changing Transmission Fluid

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2017, 04:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99' 4Runner Won't Go Above 20mph After Changing Transmission Fluid

Going to add as much info as possible so be prepared to read(: I have a 99' 4Runner 4wd 3.7 with 190,000 miles. A few days the starter went out. I towed it to the house and proceeded to put a new one in (it was a pain in the ass get in let me tell you). I had to remove the transmission fluid pan and then sway bar. I pulled the pan off after emptying it and cleaned it out. After new starter was in place I put new sealant on the transmission pan and bolted it back in place. Came back about 24 hours later and dumped in about 4 quarts of Castrol Transmax Dex/Merc (the manual called for 1.7 quarts but when I emptied it about 4 came out, so I put 4 back in). Engine started perfectly on first try and I left it for a minute to get it to operating temp. I shifted into every gear possible about 3 times each and then took it for a drive. My first thought was that it almost felt like the engine wasn't giving it enough power. That's what it felt like at least. It SEEMED to shift fine but I think the highest gear I got to was 2nd. Mind you it seemed like it shifted fine but the highest I could get was about 20/30 mph with the pedal to the floor. The rpms weren't ramping up or anything. I pulled back into the driveway to check my levels and they seemed fine (my transmission fluid dipstick was twisted. I don't know if this is normal, but it is a pain in the rear to get it back in). I checked for leaks and didn't see any. I didn't replace the filter when I put in new transmission fluid also.
Old 05-12-2017, 09:44 PM

Does it rev fine in park/neutral?
Old 05-13-2017, 07:09 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
knock loose any of the 3 shift solenoids?
it is better to lower the sway bar first and than remove the transmission pan..
Old 05-13-2017, 08:27 AM

Fixed

I learned that draining the fluid is probably the worst thing to do to an old transmission that hasn't been drained every 30-60 thousand miles.. but, I waited an extra day and then started my car up, got it warm, then shifted from park to reverse to drive about 20 times. 4Runner is now running great and the problem "solved itself"
Old 05-14-2017, 02:19 PM

Where did you hear that?? It sounds like you just didn't purge the system enough..