Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99 4Runner,new motor acc belt won't Line up

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
99 4Runner,new motor acc belt won't Line up

I have a 99 4Runner 4x4. Motor blew so I picked up another 3.4 but I'm not sure what the motor originally came out of. I had to change motor mounts,exh. Manifolds, throttle body. I used all the accessories off the 4 runner and changed the damper pulley on the crank. None of my accessories line up. My belts squeak and it burns through them fast. It looks like the water pump sticks out an 1/8- 3/16" to far. Is there a long shaft /short shaft water pump?. also look like the ac compressor is out a little to far also but the bracket I think will only bolt on one way?? Thanks for any help
Old 10-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Contributing Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Were the dampers the same?
I don't think that's the water pump you're looking at.
The water pump is hidden and is driven by the timing belt.
Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm not sure if the dampers are different. All the pulleys were offset different. I know the water pump is behind the black plastic cover. I guess I thought the part sticking out right in the middle of the motor/in the front middle of the motor was part of the water pump. It has two pulleys and the fan bolts to it. This is the part that sticks out further. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2017, 11:54 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

The fact you needed to change the engine mounts and exhaust manifolds is strange.

You have no clue what the engine came from??

Where did your Crank Pulley Come from is it machined wrong allowing it to be to short once torqued .

Causing all the misalignment ??
Old 11-01-2017, 07:56 AM

Received 602 Likes on 441 Posts
Is your new engine a JDM item?? Many things are often totally different on Toyotas made for sale outside the US.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:56 AM

Received 68 Likes on 63 Posts
When you say exhaust manifold and mounts needed changing that is a red flag that most likely this is a JDM, a lot of JDM's don't have the over the top of the bell housing crossover pipe, motor mounts being different is a major concern. BUT you should have no issues with Acc belts as they all came on the motor aligned from factory with there components, but JDM motors get shipped in containers with little care and roll around in storage for god knows how long, it is very likely the attached components took a hit either because of an accident before removal, or during shipping, storage or install, all your old components should fit, but difficult to determine which is the culprit.
Old 11-02-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
A lot of subjective descriptions...maybe some pictures of the problem areas would help clear things...

Changing something because they were worn? Or change as in different from what you have?

Wherever you got the replacement, are they able to track down what yr/model it came from?