YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   99 4 runner inner fender removal (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/99-4-runner-inner-fender-removal-58494/)

filter 05-05-2005 06:54 PM

99 4 runner inner fender removal

Hello
I'm trying to remove the front inner fender to access a broken power antenna on my 99 4 runner. How do you remove the plugs that fasten the plastic inner liner and also anchor the fender flares? Is a special tool required?

Thanks for the help..

george16 05-05-2005 07:06 PM

Check Bob's write-up for replacing the antenna. It has detailed pics and instructions in removing the inner fender too. Here the link:

Antenna/fender removal

george

filter 05-06-2005 05:50 AM

Thanks

My question is more pertaining to removing the plug itself. Do you simply pry them off? Looks like this is impossible without damaging them. Are these plugs something that needs to be replaced once removed?

Thanks

jwbehm 06-06-2006 09:56 AM

I am midway through this mod right now and have encountered the same problem, how do you remove the plugs!?!?!

jwbehm 06-06-2006 10:42 AM

Nevermind, I just ripped them out. Hopefully toyota will be able to give me 2 replacements

Bob_98SR5 06-06-2006 11:08 AM

yes, just rip them or drill them out and buy replacement plugs

GREEN4SKIN'R 06-08-2006 08:59 PM

Sorry I stumbled across this thread a little too late but these clips are (relatively)easily removed by first removing the screw (some might not have screws) that is in them then using a pick tool (like an ice pick with the last 1/2" of the tip bent to a right angle) poked into the hole and pry the barbs (2) into the center of the hole. A little difficult to explain in words but I recently replaced the mast on my power antenna without breaking any of the clips. Hopefully this helps someone in the future. Or heck, you could just buy new clips.

jwbehm 06-09-2006 04:25 AM

Yeah the new clips were all of $0.69 each, not too bad. I will get the part number later tonight if i can find the reciept.

snap-on 06-09-2006 06:05 AM

you can get generic plastic rivits at the auotparts store. i plastic thinigie of 4 or 6 or something for like $2

and im in the rip them out by any means necessary camp

Krizzle77 07-23-2011 02:38 PM

Great Post... wanted to add to this excellent thread

3 Attachment(s)
Following the instructions here I was able to do this with no issues all by my self. I used Ebay (Bridgewood Motorsports) to pick up the antenna mast. My antenna cable was broke so... When pulling the fender shield (after removing the fender flare completely) I simply broke 2 retaining clips (will purchase replacements later) NOT the bottom left one but the two above it. If you simply break those two that gives you just enough room to pull the fender shield back and get at the 10mm bolt holding the power antenna assembly in. I didn't disconnect any cables simply slid the assembly out and using a Phillips unscrewed the 6 screws holding the motor assembly together. Pulled out the broken antenna cable and closed everything back up. I reinstalled and simply extended the new antenna, put the teeth in facing the front bumper and sat on the passenger seat to power the radio on then off and simply fed the new antenna mast and cable into the unit. Done and now only need to buy two retaining clips.

21ashton 08-24-2011 08:38 AM

Im trying to remove the fender to get to my antenna that is off track and getting mad. lol. I thought i took off all the bolts but it still wont come of , its a 97 toyota 4 runner please help

ALLDATAdiy INFO 08-24-2011 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by 21ashton (Post 51775460)
Im trying to remove the fender to get to my antenna that is off track and getting mad. lol. I thought i took off all the bolts but it still wont come of , its a 97 toyota 4 runner please help

Where is it stuck at?