YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   98 runner / long extended crank after sittin more than 2 days !! (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/98-runner-long-extended-crank-after-sittin-more-than-2-days-84260/)

99lspwr 04-21-2006 02:05 PM

98 runner / long extended crank after sittin more than 2 days !!

Strange problem with my 98 runner..!!!, If it sits 2-3 days without being started, it takes about 10-15 seconds to start....It just cranks its ass off and eventually will fire up... Its all stock with no cel's and runs fine otherwise...It will fire up fine if it sits only one night...It has 141k on it and purrs like a kitten otherwise... Any ideas??? I just dont eventually want to get stranded anywhere......thanks

Elton 04-21-2006 02:06 PM

weak battery???

99lspwr 04-21-2006 05:02 PM

No,no,no .... It cranks over really good, just doesent fire up...

AH64ID 04-21-2006 05:05 PM

sounds like your loosing fuel pressure... try cycling the key on, wait 5 secs, off, on, wait five secs, crank....

99lspwr 04-21-2006 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
sounds like your loosing fuel pressure... try cycling the key on, wait 5 secs, off, on, wait five secs, crank....

Yeah, I will give that a try...I thought it may be a weak fuel pump or something....

AH64ID 04-21-2006 05:16 PM

I am not sure how the fuel pumps are rigged in toyotas, but it could have a bad diaphram or check valve? My 92 is slow to start after sitting for more than 3 days, probally the same thing... I dont ever worry about it.

w99t4rweos 04-21-2006 11:29 PM

Here's what you could try, after sitting a few days, take the gas cap off and listen to the filler neck while someone turns the key to the run position. What your listening for is a hummin sound that will probably go on for about 2 - 4 secs. This should happen everytime you cycle the key. ( listening to an end of a hose in the neck will amp the humming)
If there is a hum then the fuel pump is working if the pressure is w/in specs, most likely it is if there is amply power when you step on it while driving. If this isthe case, then most likely I cocur with AH64ID that it's a check valve problem . (The fuel lines are loosing their prime) Most likely it is intergreted in the fuel pump.
If you don't hear a hum then there's a control problem related to the ECU and F/P relays. Good luck

99lspwr 04-22-2006 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by w99t4rweos
Here's what you could try, after sitting a few days, take the gas cap off and listen to the filler neck while someone turns the key to the run position. What your listening for is a hummin sound that will probably go on for about 2 - 4 secs. This should happen everytime you cycle the key. ( listening to an end of a hose in the neck will amp the humming)
If there is a hum then the fuel pump is working if the pressure is w/in specs, most likely it is if there is amply power when you step on it while driving. If this isthe case, then most likely I cocur with AH64ID that it's a check valve problem . (The fuel lines are loosing their prime) Most likely it is intergreted in the fuel pump.
If you don't hear a hum then there's a control problem related to the ECU and F/P relays. Good luck

Cool, thanks for the advice....Since the truck is not my DD, and it still runs fine, I have been a little more forgiving to the problem its having...But I figured that I should look into it before it craps out on me somewhere...

shiftless89 04-22-2006 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID

He's right, the cold start valves (extra injector) can blead down and lose fuel pressure making it difficult to start, also the pressure regulator can fail as well as the fuel filter being dirty, or if the filter was recently installed, it may be leaking air into the system if not fully tightend.

good luck