Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'97 Taco 4WD Corrosion Resistant Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 Taco 4WD Corrosion Resistant Brake Calipers

Howdy guys,
I rarely post here but thought the Raybestos RPT brake calipers were worth bringing to your attention. The factory calibers on my '97 Taco 4WD lasted 17 years and were still working (barely) when I changed them out. Unfortunately, the best NAPA calipers I put on both failed in approx. 3 years with 3 out of 8 pistons not working properly or stuck altogether. This truck is my hunting vehicle so it sees a lot of water and mud for 4-5 months out of the year. I got on the net looking for a corrosion resistant caliber and the Raybestos RPT caliper came up. These calibers are zinc plated, not just painted like the NAPA calibers they are replacing. Just put the RPT calibers on today so don't know how long they will last. But I am expecting good service life even with the hard use I will put them thru. I took the extra step of sealing the dust boots onto the pistons/calipers with silicone to help prevent water from entering. If you 4 wheel in mud, high water, salt water environment, etc. these zinc plated calibers might be worth a look.

Name:  39d5de61-5835-4096-9f59-27185da2695d_zpskwvyhbnn.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  333.8 KB

Last edited by leid; 05-19-2017 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:47 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Be interesting to see how silicone would hold up to both heat and elements, and repeated movement. Usually, I would think the piston boot retaining rings would do the job.

Nice look though. Can't help but stare at em.

Last edited by 75w90mantraN; 05-20-2017 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The boot retaining rings are simple split rings. So they do not form a water tight seal. They may keep out moisture encountered in normal driving/ light 4 wheeling but not the repeated deep water immersion I put them thru. I sealed the dust boots to the caliper by degreasing then applying silicone over the split rings on the NAPA calipers I am replacing with the RPTs. The silicone is still intact after 3 years and none of the dust boots are torn. It would appear that moisture may have penetrated into the sticking/frozen pistons at the piston to dust boot joint. So this time I also sealed the dust boot to the piston as a further effort to keep out moisture. Time will tell. But I do agree with your thinking on high heat VS silicone. My Tacoma's enemy in the off road environment of Mississippi is water and mud, not heat. About the hottest I can ever expect to get my brakes is from a panic stop on the highway going to WalMart in Vicksburg. Otherwise, not much brake heat will be generated crawling thru the water/mud at 5-10 MPH.