Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'97 T4R, ONLY Passenger Brake Light Not Working??

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'97 T4R, ONLY Passenger Brake Light Not Working??

Hi all!

Perhaps I missed a thread somewhere but, been doing lots of research and trial-n-error and so far have no answers. My RR brake light does not come on when I depress the brake pedal. From what I read, potential fixes could be lightly taking sandpaper here/there, or switching socket, etc., etc., etc…BUT…I upgraded to 2002 tail-lights and I purchased new OEM sockets/wiring harness assemblies and new bulbs. Thought replacing the harnesses would fix the situation but it has not. Now I am dumbfounded and desperate for help before I start tearing things apart in an attempt to trace the wiring.

Every other light works, including 3rd brake light. From moving bulbs around, I know it is not a bulb thing. Fuses are fine because all other lights work (reverse, turn, etc).

These are dual-filament bulbs. When I turn headlights on, that one filament within bulb works. It is strictly isolated to right-side brake light (green wire w/white stripe).

If the brake switch up under the dash (I have manual transmission) was inoperable, from what I’ve read, it would be an all-or-nothing situation and that’s not what I have.

So…maybe some wire that runs strictly to that side is touching metal or something like that? I have 2 4runner manuals and cannot find anywhere it shows the routing of wires so, I do not know where to go without ripping my t4r apart.

Anyone has same experience or, have any first-hand knowledge of where/what I should be concentrating on to find the culprit? Electrical stuff is by far not my forte but I am also not stupid.

I am just getting aggravated. I hate to take it to some shop and spend hundreds of $$$ when it could be something I can figure out on my own for nothing, if you catch my drift.
Thoughts???

Perhaps the only solution is trying to trace the wiring but...if that can be avoided by me (headache) or someone else ($$$)...I'm up for all input. Maybe I am missing something???

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2018, 05:16 PM

When I installing both new OEM wire harnesses I also installed all new bulbs. When brake light did not come on I tested the bulbs by swapping them around and they are fine. Also, since I am doing this by myself and have no one to depress the brake pedal while testing, I wedged the brake pedal down to keep the brake lights on while I tested the wiring w/ 12-volt tester to see if I could isolate problem to the actual socket (could be defective?). Well, on the right side, the tester light does not come on so I am not getting power to the socket.
Old 05-06-2018, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by JamesDINAN
Hi all!

Perhaps I missed a thread somewhere but, been doing lots of research and trial-n-error and so far have no answers. My RR brake light does not come on when I depress the brake pedal. From what I read, potential fixes could be lightly taking sandpaper here/there, or switching socket, etc., etc., etc…BUT…I upgraded to 2002 tail-lights and I purchased new OEM sockets/wiring harness assemblies and new bulbs. Thought replacing the harnesses would fix the situation but it has not. Now I am dumbfounded and desperate for help before I start tearing things apart in an attempt to trace the wiring.

Every other light works, including 3rd brake light. From moving bulbs around, I know it is not a bulb thing. Fuses are fine because all other lights work (reverse, turn, etc).

These are dual-filament bulbs. When I turn headlights on, that one filament within bulb works. It is strictly isolated to right-side brake light (green wire w/white stripe).

If the brake switch up under the dash (I have manual transmission) was inoperable, from what I’ve read, it would be an all-or-nothing situation and that’s not what I have.

So…maybe some wire that runs strictly to that side is touching metal or something like that? I have 2 4runner manuals and cannot find anywhere it shows the routing of wires so, I do not know where to go without ripping my t4r apart.

Anyone has same experience or, have any first-hand knowledge of where/what I should be concentrating on to find the culprit? Electrical stuff is by far not my forte but I am also not stupid.

I am just getting aggravated. I hate to take it to some shop and spend hundreds of $$$ when it could be something I can figure out on my own for nothing, if you catch my drift.
Thoughts???

Perhaps the only solution is trying to trace the wiring but...if that can be avoided by me (headache) or someone else ($$$)...I'm up for all input. Maybe I am missing something???

Thanks!
Here is your '97 wire diagram. Thank you for giving your year. Too many posters don't and it is essential on electric.
I would test that green/white wire where it enters the right rear tailight can. I suspect the issue is between there and the socket.

If no power there, then the passenger stop light wire goes through Pin 8 on the IL1 plug in the passenger kick panel. Look for a green wire with white stripe and use your tester on the upstream side. That will tell you a lot about where to go. The IL1 connector is dark gray with ten pins in two rows.

PS. If the wire contacts metal it will blow the fuse. You are looking for an open circuit, not a short to ground.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
EWD 108 TR1sl97.pdf (43.3 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by TheDurk; 05-06-2018 at 08:44 AM.
Old 05-18-2018, 03:38 PM

TheDurk, thanks for the wire diagram! I've been out-of-state and have not yet had time to take a stab at it yet. Hopefully, tomorrow. I will reply afterwards!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:58 PM

UPDATE: Turns out, on a drive last week I also found my cruise control was not working either (it would light up, just not engage).

Today, I sprayed the wiring harness coming from my trailer hitch with WD40 and cleaned off some corrosion. Took just a couple minutes. FIXED!! Both brake light and cruise control now work exactly as should.

I remembered some years ago my cruise control was acting-up the same way. Forget who/how I came across cleaning that wiring harness as a fix. Thought I'd try it again. Glad I did not get too far into checking all the wiring...