YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   '97 T4R Intermittently Dead (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/97-t4r-intermittently-dead-291053/)

JamesDINAN 09-21-2015 12:27 PM

'97 T4R Intermittently Dead

1997 T4R SR5, Manual.

I've been doing some digging and am not sure if my issues are interrelated or not. Seems might be electrical-related but not sure. I am hoping to avoid dropping off at some shop and cost $$$ so coming to the ultimate wisdom of the forum. :)

1. One month ago out of the blue, I came out of store and truck acted dead when turned key...no clicking, no sounds, no lights, nothing. Fired right-up with a jumpstart and I was back on the road. I did not have to reprogram my radio stations so that's why I said "acted" dead (instead of full dead then having to reprogram everything). Been running perfectly for the last month and then again yesterday, BAM!, same thing. Dead. Cycled the key ~ 30x to see if system would kick on (read here that some people with starter issues, it would start after repeated tries at starting). That didn't work. After another easy jumpstart I am back on the road but wanting to hopefully avoid another repeat. Any idea what is wrong???

2. Driver's door lock ONLY works by turning key from driver's side door. From passenger door, nothing. From pushing button on console, nothing. All other door locks perform as supposed to. Some have said this is bad actuator??

3. And here's the weird one...(bit of background first...my truck is originally a "Gulf States" T4R so it came with the dealer-sold/aftermarket alarm system). The remote had some quirks so for many MONTHS I got tired of dealing with it and just flipped the little switch underneath the dash that disables the system and for months been using key to lock/unlock the doors without issue. Anyway, I was walking back from beach that day...turned the key like I always do this time when I turned key the alarm system went off (amongst hundreds of people btw, ha)!! After ~ 20 min another T4R owner walked by and lended a hand. I ended up just disconnected the whole alarm system...luckily it started, and as I write this, I have not touched the system since then. I would LOVE to replace it with a better/newer system but haven't dug into that one yet (if anyone else had, is it difficult to replace with another system?)

I've owned my gem for 6 yrs. (Oct. 11) with no issues. Seems it kinda started acting up after I disconnected the alarm system that day coming back from the beach.

Anyone have any insight into helping me rectify my situation?
Thanks!!

wyoming9 09-21-2015 01:15 PM

Have you checked that your clutch safety switch has not vibrated loose .

Meaning you really have to get your foot on the floor

Loose or dirty battery terminals

Loose or dirty ground connection on the block:wrench:

vasinvictor 09-21-2015 01:43 PM

Was gonna suggest battery cables like my homeboy Wyoming suggested. They can look and feel tight but be full of corrosion under the collar and on the battery post. Clean asap.

JamesDINAN 09-21-2015 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by vasinvictor (Post 52289889)
Was gonna suggest battery cables like my homeboy Wyoming suggested. They can look and feel tight but be full of corrosion under the collar and on the battery post. Clean asap.

Terminals are clean and tight. I also am fairly meticulous about keeping a clean engine compartment (wipe things down, look for corrosion, Purple Power every so often and wipe entire compartment down with a towel, etc...)

JamesDINAN 09-21-2015 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52289885)
Have you checked that your clutch safety switch has not vibrated loose .

Meaning you really have to get your foot on the floor

Loose or dirty battery terminals

Loose or dirty ground connection on the block:wrench:

I can look at my clutch safety switch in the morning but, have not noticed anything different in how it reacts other than what it has always acted like. No, do not really have to get my foot on the floor.

Terminals look/feel clean/tight.

I will also look for a loose/dirty ground connection on the block in the AM but will be surprised if something shows.

wyoming9 09-22-2015 12:15 AM

:wrench: Not knowing just how your alarm works .

Does it disable the starting system ??

If it is not the simple like a poor connection I would look at the alarm system being the problem.

How many miles ??

JamesDINAN 09-22-2015 05:37 AM

Originally Posted by wyoming9 (Post 52289980)
:wrench: Not knowing just how your alarm works .

Does it disable the starting system ??

If it is not the simple like a poor connection I would look at the alarm system being the problem.

How many miles ??

Yes, when alarm goes off it disables the starter system. I disconnected the wire going into the alarm control module that day at the beach a couple months back.

I will hit 180k miles within the next day or so.