YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   '94 4-runner engine swap (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/94-4-runner-engine-swap-32585/)

bulldog79 05-13-2004 02:09 AM

'94 4-runner engine swap

i just got a 1994 toyota 4-runner awsome but the only problem is that the stock 3.0L v-6 was run without oil and the engine has seized, the mechanic told me it threw a rod through the block. i want to use this rig as an off-road rig i plan to lift it, gear it, and take off the doors as well as cut off the back lid, like the old school 4-runners, can anyone tell me what the cheapest engine swap would be ive heard about the 22re or should i just find another 3.0L v-6 thank you for the help :dunno:

mt_goat 05-13-2004 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by bulldog79
i just got a 1994 toyota 4-runner awsome but the only problem is that the stock 3.0L v-6 was run without oil and the engine has seized, the mechanic told me it threw a rod through the block. i want to use this rig as an off-road rig i plan to lift it, gear it, and take off the doors as well as cut off the back lid, like the old school 4-runners, can anyone tell me what the cheapest engine swap would be ive heard about the 22re or should i just find another 3.0L v-6 thank you for the help :dunno:

I'm pretty sure the cheapest would be to stay with the 3.0.

slowyota 05-13-2004 07:05 AM

But the preferred would be the 3.4.

turboale 05-13-2004 07:29 AM

cheapest and easiest would be the 3.0 No computer/harness swaps and everythign is plug and play. A true engine swap is something you REALLY have to want to do and be dedicated to. If you have some shop do everything for you, its not so bad, but you'll be pay'n for it!

enthalpy 05-13-2004 07:51 AM

swappin'

Hmmmm - i would not recommend a 3.0 swap since it's not as powerful as you think - and it's super expensive. I think it would actually be better to look at swapping in the 3.4 since they are more widely available (and much cheaper!). One other thing would be that if you go from the 22re to the 3.0 - you have to reroute all the fuel delivery stuff and exhaust stuff - if you do a 3.4 swap - it's not as big a deal (it's even recommended to get 2in body lift)...i know there a couple threads on this though....

anthony1 05-13-2004 08:33 AM

Um.....his original engine IS the 3.0.

My99 05-13-2004 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by enthalpy
Hmmmm - i would not recommend a 3.0 swap since it's not as powerful as you think - and it's super expensive. I think it would actually be better to look at swapping in the 3.4 since they are more widely available (and much cheaper!). One other thing would be that if you go from the 22re to the 3.0 - you have to reroute all the fuel delivery stuff and exhaust stuff - if you do a 3.4 swap - it's not as big a deal (it's even recommended to get 2in body lift)...i know there a couple threads on this though....

Umm... if the 3.4 were much cheaper, I think everyone would be using them instead of using the 3.0 again. The 3.4 is a good deal much more expensive, not to mention the wiring headaches. If you're just going to wheel, the 3.0 is not a bad engine, just has headgasket issues. If these are addressed, it will be a fine engine.

Flygtenstein 05-13-2004 09:46 AM

You want cheap and easy? Stay with the 3.0

There is no reason to get a 3.4 if it is going to be trail only. The 3.0 is perfectly fine in that application.

What tranny? Swapping a 3.4 with the auto has not yet been made as cheap and straightforward as the stick.

PM me if you are looking for engines.

bulldog79 05-13-2004 09:55 AM

stock tranny

i have no idea what the tranny is other than it is automatic and stock on the 94 runner, i could swap in my t-18 from my broken down jeep