YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   4th GEN Owners.... how do you clear a check engine code? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4th-gen-owners-how-do-you-clear-check-engine-code-26061/)

WolfpackTLC 02-05-2004 08:58 AM

4th GEN Owners.... how do you clear a check engine code?

Ok, so it's not a check engine code... My neighbor has a 4th gen w/ 7500 miles on it and BAM the maintainence light popped on. Duh. He just wants to clear it until he gets to the dealer. On most any other car, you can pull the EFI fuse or the ECU fuse or at very least the pos and/or neg. terminal on the battery and the computer will lose the code. That didn't work on this vehicle. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

Jason

BT17R 02-05-2004 09:01 AM

I'm hazy on this, but think the procedure is covered in the owner's manual.

WolfpackTLC 02-05-2004 09:08 AM

Seriously? I never thought to look there... Why the heck would Toyota tell you how to clear a code in the OWNER'S MANUAL? Seems like that would be detrimental to there funds received from people coming in b/c they're freaked out about a little light. I'll look into that... any other suggestions?

BT17R 02-05-2004 09:16 AM

To accommodate the DIY crowd. It comes on when an oil change is due...maybe other things, too, but I recall some kind of explanation in the manual.

nrgetic99 02-05-2004 09:21 AM

Try this...

ELECTRICAL
EL002-03
REVISED

March 7, 2003

Title:
SERVICE MAINTENANCE REMINDER LIGHT RESET PROCEDURE

Models:
'03 4Runner & Land Cruiser, '04 Sienna

TSB REVISION NOTICE :July 29, 2003: Applicable models now includes 2004 Sienna.

Introduction

The 2003 model year 4Runner and Land Cruiser, and 2004 model year Sienna vehicles are equipped with a Service Maintenance Reminder Light. The following procedure should be used to reset the light when the oil has been changed.

Applicable Vehicles

^ 2003 model year 4Runner and Land Cruiser vehicles.

^ 2004 model year Sienna vehicles.

Reset Procedure

To reset the Service Maintenance Reminder Light:

1. Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position.

2. Set the Odometer / Trip Display to the "ODO" mode.

3. Turn the ignition switch to the "OFF" position.

4. Depress and hold the Trip Meter "RESET" button while turning the ignition switch to the "ON" position.

5. The Service Maintenance Reminder Light will:

a. Illuminate solidly for 3 seconds.

b. Blink for 2 seconds.

c. Illuminate solidly for 1 second.

d. Turn off.

6. Release the Trip Meter "RESET" button.

7. Turn the ignition to the "OFF" position.

8. Turn the ignition to the "ON" position, and confirm that the Service Maintenance Reminder Light goes out.

NOTE: If the light continues blinking in step 5a, turn the ignition off, and repeat the procedure from step 1.

Glad to be or service ...

David

WolfpackTLC 02-05-2004 09:22 AM

SWEET. Thanks!

kronicx 02-05-2004 09:47 AM

Mine just came on yesterday. Actually, it just stayed on for about 5-7 seconds longer than it normally does during start up, then it went off. I've read of other people having this happen, and I too have had it happen once before, but right after an oil change. I last had my oil changed in mid January. I went ahead and reset the light under the assumption if something was wrong that it would come back on. Am I right?

JGage 02-05-2004 10:06 AM

Mine popped on a few days ago, but nothing seems wrong with the truck. It's about due for an oil change, so I'll mention it when I do that.
Perhaps it's set for oil change times. Beats me, never hurts to have it looked after if it's under warranty.

Sac State 02-05-2004 11:27 AM

If you have your oil changed at the dealer, don't expect the porter to reset the counter. I found my dealer doesn't reset the counter after my oil change. Kinda defeats the purpose doesn't it?

fourunnabilly 02-05-2004 01:57 PM

Yeah, David nailed it. Just follow those instructions...I had to do it a few thousand miles ago.

Billy:D

TechWrench 02-05-2004 05:10 PM

Originally posted by kronicx
Mine just came on yesterday. Actually, it just stayed on for about 5-7 seconds longer than it normally does during start up, then it went off. I've read of other people having this happen, and I too have had it happen once before, but right after an oil change. I last had my oil changed in mid January. I went ahead and reset the light under the assumption if something was wrong that it would come back on. Am I right?
This specific indicator is triggered by mileage only. It is set, on my '03 to come on after 7,500 miles. It is not in response to any mechanical sensor or faliure.

jharris2 02-05-2004 06:00 PM

Originally posted by TechWrench
This specific indicator is triggered by mileage only. It is set, on my '03 to come on after 7,500 miles. It is not in response to any mechanical sensor or faliure.
At about 5,000 miles, it stays on for a few extra seconds as kronicx had, then at about 7,500 miles it stays on constantly.