YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   4th gen growing on me??!? (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4th-gen-growing-me-17482/)

momo.75 09-15-2003 04:39 PM

What a shame to see this crap....:pat:

Yep, the 4th gen looks different from what everybody has seen for years. I have always like the older models, but they were always too small. I never could comfortably ride/drive them. Any time we went anywhere in one there was never enough room in the back seats for me or my friends, so it was pretty much useless. When the '03 came out, it was perfect because they increased the size, not to mention the Horsepower.

The good thing is that if you don't like'em, you don't have to buy one. For all of us 4th gens:cheers: Don't let the man keep you down.......

:banger: :banger: 4th POWER!! :banger: :banger:

EricM 09-15-2003 04:58 PM

Perhaps Toyota was trying to draw new buyers into the fold... it certainly worked on me. I've only ever owned GMs (lots of them) and 1 Ford, but the looks of the 4th gen sold me. I'm a new Toyota owner and new to this forum (03 Sport V8 4x4).

momo.75 09-15-2003 05:05 PM

Originally posted by EricM
Perhaps Toyota was trying to draw new buyers into the fold... it certainly worked on me. I've only ever owned GMs (lots of them) and 1 Ford, but the looks of the 4th gen sold me. I'm a new Toyota owner and new to this forum (03 Sport V8 4x4).
Welcome to the forum. It is usually more pleasant that this. Good choice with the 4th Gen.:rockin: :rockin:

FirstToy 09-15-2003 08:03 PM

There are 2 big reasons the 4th gen is so different from the previous three.

1. They abandonded the size limitation for 3rd world countries. This 4Runner was designed with the North American market in mind. That is why the proportions are different. Personally, I think they did a great job.

2. Toyota is voluntarily following an industry-wide mandate to have SUV bumpers at car-impact level. There is also a mandate for tire pressure sensors (which will be standard on most suv's I think).
I think all new suv's will have lower bumpers and it's just a matter of who is going to hide it the best or make it look taller than it is.

Also, look at the 4Runner and compare. I could buy a S/C Nissan Xterra 4x4 (even then only 210hp). The closest thing would be the SR5 4x4 4R V6 (245 hp).
I think everyone would agree the 4R is better in every way measurable. I can't think of one thing the Nissan is even close on. You say sure but the 4R costs alot more?

Xterra S/C 4x4=$27,414/$2916msrp
SR5 4R 4x4=$28,398/$29,985msrp

Not only does the 4R kick bu-tay as a SUV that does everything well, it is a flat-out bargain too.

44Runner 09-15-2003 09:52 PM

Originally posted by EDGE
Do you have any pics of that in action, it has a snorkel lets see some pics of it in deep water.

Oddly enough I have little to no pics of my truck post snorkel or SAS. I forgot my camera on the big run in Paragon. All in all, the pictures I do have were taken by other people anyways. I have never been a big picture taker.
http://filebox.vt.edu/users/ddelaney...n/DSC00091.jpg
that's the deepest picture I can unearth of my truck. that is a super old picture too. sure, it has been much deeper, but in all honesty I don't make it a habit to try to turn the truck into a boat. The snorkel is mainly there just in case. I have too many engines hydrolocked is what most of us would conside a small puddle. Not to mention I have had water on the filter more than once. Lucky for me never past there. Now I don't have to worry. :D

FirstToy 09-15-2003 10:01 PM

Originally posted by Good Times
I"m sure that eventually when an abundant aftermarket parts start rolling in and everyone starts lifting their 4th gen's, people will praise them. But until then, we're just stuck being stock.

Lance

I remember it took a good year to 2 years before the Xterra aftermarket got off the ground. It's just now become easy to hit all the mods.

This is my favorite 4R so far-looks pretty bad-a$$
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/htt...3IkeBYF_ph.jpg

44Runner 09-15-2003 10:03 PM

Originally posted by 02Runner
Three things:

1: I'm not your boy

2: The 4th isn't junk

3: This is the first negative comment I've made to another YT member but .... ah never mind.

I'd rather save a little face on this one.

Doug

1. Don't worry, I certainly won't be calling you that again.

2. Never said it was.

3. If I said what I would like to, it wouldn't be the first time for me.

I have no idea why in the world you are so pissed at me. Sorry a don't dig the 4th Gen, but seriously, is it that big a deal that my opinion differs from yours? I never said any of this anyways, like calling it a ˟˟˟˟˟ or junk. If you said you hated the 3rd Gen, I would respectfully disagree with you and that would be that. If you like the 4th Gen, that is great. The bottom line is that my opinion on the 4th Gen really shouldn't matter to you. You bought one and you obviously thought it was the right vehicle for you. Good, I am glad you are happy with it and I am happy for you. Truce?:dunno:

44Runner 09-15-2003 10:06 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
I remember it took a good year to 2 years before the Xterra aftermarket got off the ground. It's just now become easy to hit all the mods.

This is my favorite 4R so far-looks pretty bad-a$$
http://invis.free.anonymizer.com/htt...3IkeBYF_ph.jpg

While cool, I am partial to my 3rd Gen. But of course it is mine :D

FirstToy 09-15-2003 10:12 PM

Aw man, first 4th gen hatin and now 3rd on 3rd gen!:laugh:

44Runner 09-15-2003 10:13 PM

44Runner: now you have one bada$$ 4runner! :bigok: I give ya much props for the SAS :) Hopefully, when I can afford to tinker around with my 4th gen I can try that too!!!

Thanks bro, glad you dig it. a SASed 4th gen would be super tight. Anytime you are ready, I'll lend a hand, and I mean that. I know you don't have plans for it anytime soon, but we all know it might happen someday. There is someone out there that just won't be able to resist it, and I for one can't wait to see the results.

btw fellas/ladies, no need to flame fellow yota owners :) now flaming ford/gm owners is another story but it just doesn't make sense to flame eachother! we can keep that on other boards! :nerd:

No joke, I feel like we need a group hug or something in here...:laugh:

44Runner 09-15-2003 10:15 PM

Originally posted by FirstToy
Aw man, first 4th gen hatin and now 3rd on 3rd gen!:laugh:
No hatin'!

No doubt that beast is hot... :cool:

Darren 09-15-2003 10:43 PM

I think this is the first (can't remember) 3rd vs. 4th deal I've been involved in, but I would like to say the following, even though it doesn't address any of jgs9455's original questions. But maybe in order to do so, it sounds to me like he's answered them all. I say 4Runner. Yeah, no kidding!

Anyway, regarding Dave's comment to the increased price tag on the 4th Gens, that's not the case. They are the exact same as they've been since the 1996 model, and no different than mine at the time.

As far as off-roadability between the last two generations, the 3rd carries the advantage. If nothing else, ground clearance, as Tom mentioned, is the main reason here. A lifted 4th is basically equal to a stock 3rd at the front diff. You can just simply do more with more ground clearance. That reason alone is why I had been eyeing 4Runners years before I got mine and is why I didn't hold out for an '03. Ground clearance is why everybody who lifts theirs does it, to gain more. I would love to have the breakover angle of a lifted TJ or XJ, but there's just something about a 4Runner that I'll live with. That similar thought is comparable to what 4th Gen owners have vs. the 3rd Gens, I'm sure.

The second advantage the 3rds carry are those 96-00 models that are locked. I'll be the first to admit the traction control system in the 2001-2003's is no subsitute for even one locker. I knew what I was getting into when I got mine and will address that next year. That being said, the traction system is far and away better than conventional open diffs.

The two reasons above, in my mind, are not disputable. I realize Lance and other 4th Gen owners have done a few things off-road and I don't question their performance. Get some good skid plates and a lift when the time comes, and you'll be in great shape. I did a lot of neat things when I was stock as well.

As for the looks, I'm staying out of that one!

I think I said the obvious, but I guess it's out there now anyway.

jgs9455 09-16-2003 02:33 AM

Didn't mean to start a 3rd vs. 4th gen flame war!

Does any one have any comments addressing my original questions?

2004 4Runner vs. 2004 Ford Expedition?
4.0 L V6 vs. 4.7 L V8 in the 4x4 4Runner?
(I am heavily leaning towards the v6)

Financing options/suggestions?

TDiddy 09-16-2003 06:25 AM

Just to clear one other thing up: when Dave mentioned "junk", wasn't actually calling a 4th gen a piece of junk. That's just how rigs are referred to from time to time. Its more of a term of endearment. My junk, your junk, new junk, old junk....etc. Not meant to be offensive at all. :bigok:

44Runner 09-16-2003 06:38 AM

Originally posted by mertztr
Just to clear one other thing up: when Dave mentioned "junk", wasn't actually calling a 4th gen a piece of junk. That's just how rigs are referred to from time to time. Its more of a term of endearment. My junk, your junk, new junk, old junk....etc. Not meant to be offensive at all. :bigok:
Ahhh, now I see where he got junk from. I am so used to that term I read right over it and type it without thinking. Oddly enough this is the second time I have had to explain this on this board, but for future reference I refer to all rigs as junk, including my own...

02Runner 09-16-2003 07:33 AM

jJgs9455:
Answering your original question, go with the Runner if you decide to buy. If you prefer leasing, I guess the Ford could be considered but also consider how many times you'll be at the dealer getting warranty work done. In the next few weeks or so, Toyota may offer some incentives to move their 2003 models.

I personally would stick with the Yota because of the reliability factor.

44:
I don't care if your opinion differs from mine. We are each entitled to our own. I respect your opinion and like your ride.

I would prefer not to leave a negative impression on another YT member. Therefore if I mistook something that was said, I apologize. :)

Doug

waskillywabbit 09-16-2003 07:40 AM

Nice

Originally posted by 02Runner
jJgs9455:
Answering your original question, go with the Runner if you decide to buy. If you prefer leasing, I guess the Ford could be considered but also consider how many times you'll be at the dealer getting warranty work done. In the next few weeks or so, Toyota may offer some incentives to move their 2003 models.

I personally would stick with the Yota because of the reliability factor.

44:
I don't care if your opinion differs from mine. We are each entitled to our own. I respect your opinion and like your ride.

I would prefer not to leave a negative impression on another YT member. Therefore if I mistook something that was said, I apologize. :)

Doug

Best time to buy a NEW car is Oct-Dec when the last of that model year is got to go to make room for the new model! Often stealerships have great incentives to get rid of the late models so they don't end up eating them.

We all have bad days and jump to conclusions. I am a world class conclusion jumper. Well done on the apology. It takes a big person to own up to it. My applause to you! :bigok:

:guitar:

Brian

Sil23 09-16-2003 07:44 AM

Hi guys...looks like we have patched our differences..Now I'll do my part...As of right now there is no music on my site..yipee...

http://home.nycap.rr.com/baje/lizzy.htm

Maybe it was my music that started it...haha

Ant 09-16-2003 06:13 PM

Originally posted by momo.75
What a shame to see this crap....:pat:

Yep, the 4th gen looks different from what everybody has seen for years. I have always like the older models, but they were always too small. I never could comfortably ride/drive them. Any time we went anywhere in one there was never enough room in the back seats for me or my friends, so it was pretty much useless. When the '03 came out, it was perfect because they increased the size, not to mention the Horsepower.

The good thing is that if you don't like'em, you don't have to buy one. For all of us 4th gens:cheers: Don't let the man keep you down.......

:banger: :banger: 4th POWER!! :banger: :banger:

Here Here!!! Love my new 4th and the ONLY person I need to please is me.

jgs9455 09-16-2003 07:10 PM

I need to see some more 4th gen pics!

It is a rumor about the V6 needing premium gas right?

Where is the JBL sythesis subwoofer located? I'd like to add a stealth one in the same place and look, but I think a JL Audio might sound a little better than the JBL. I would hate to have to order the JBL system to only replace the head unit, amp, highs and the sub drivers.

What is the opinion of the double decker cargo system?

I don't think I'm gonna get the rear wing spoiler, and my roof rack will be black not silver. I like the front bar that Sil23 added too.

Can't wait to see those 4th gen lift pics. How long away are we from having some 4th gen SAWs??

Will there be a 4.0L supercharger? The next Tacoma is rumored to get this engine. Whats the hp rating of the 4.7L with the blower?