YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   4Runner recall on rear springs (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4runner-recall-rear-springs-94338/)

cackalak han 09-08-2006 10:39 AM

4Runner recall on rear springs

I took my 4Runner in to get the t-case seals replaced, and they said that the rear springs were on recalls (due to sagging). Just thought I'd give people (the few that are still on stock suspenion :D) a heads up. This was for a 98 4Runner.

Also, a random question -- when I took it in to get the t-case seal done, they said that the "shift tower seal" was leaking, as well. I have no idea what that is. I tried a search for it, but to no avail. Can anyone fill me in on this? Thanks.

seanz0rz 09-08-2006 12:52 PM

yea the rear spring recall is the only recall on mine.

i had toyota order the parts, nearly a month ago, but i havent had time to do it. guess i should make an appt for next week sometime. i had made an appt for the 20A recall. they called me and didnt know wtf that was, so i had to explain. i get to the dealership, they are like ok what are we doing for you today? rear suspension recall, they have to go look up the number so they can put it in the computer. then they have my truck for 4 hours and call me and say they dont have the parts in stock (you chouldnt have checked when i dropped it off???) and that my drive belts need to be replaced, and probably my timing and water pump (wrong part of the car you moron, and the previous owner just had the timing belt and water pump done a few months ago) kinda wondered why they looked anyway... since the guy probably went to go get the parts, found out they wernt in stock, he should have just parked my car and called me to come pick it up. wtf?

/end rant

kmcc78240 09-08-2006 01:01 PM

is it only 3rd gens?

cackalak han 09-08-2006 01:09 PM

I believe it is only for 3rd gens, and not for all years, either (I think?).

sean - sucks about your experience. Fortunately, my dealership called ME and told me I needed to have the recall done. They had the parts there already. An honest, competent dealership...crazy world we live in, eh?

:D

kmcc78240 09-08-2006 01:18 PM

Well I called the dealer, gave the vin and I'm not under the recall. Don't know why, I'm saggin pretty bad. haha. Oh well I wonder how do get them to add the 2n gens on there.

seanz0rz 09-08-2006 01:35 PM

yes, only 3rd gens. wasnt for sagging, but a safety issue. during times of accident avoidance, it can cause over steer and cause the vehicle to roll.

my stealership (toyota of redlands, btw) couldnt look up the vin for me, i had to call toyota customer support. more likely they were too lazy to look it up for me. i hate this place but the next closest is 15 miles away.

bdeakin 09-08-2006 01:56 PM

I recently had the recall done on my old '97 4Runner. The ride got a bit stiffer, and it rode a bit better too. It was a safety recall to fix a problem that only affected 2WD 4Runners, but they performed the recall on all of them anyway.

GSGALLANT 09-08-2006 05:26 PM

I believe the upper cut off year was '98 for this recall.

Caffeine 09-08-2006 05:45 PM

I don't think the recall applies for Canadians either...

MTL_4runner 09-08-2006 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by GSGALLANT (Post 985414)
I believe the upper cut off year was '98 for this recall.

That's correct.....only 96-98's were eligible.

Arron 09-09-2006 03:22 AM

Is this true for Canadians not being able to get it? I got some bad sag and I have ben saven for the LC lift, but this would buy me more time.

Maj 09-09-2006 04:42 AM

When I took my '97 in for the spring recall all they did was add the cone bumpstops. When I asked why I didn't get new springs I was told "I didn't need them". They didn't say what their criteria was for spring replacement. Mine exhibited no signs of sagging so I don't know what other kind of evaluation they could perform.

dbikeman 09-09-2006 05:46 AM

Maybe I need to check this out. I have a 98 2wd and I could use some new factory coils if mine are under the recall. How can I check if mine is eligible?

cackalak han 09-09-2006 08:46 AM

I think you just need to call up Toyota and give them your VIN. Yours should be under the recall.

I don't think mine was sagging at all, but they changed it anyway.

MTL_4runner 09-09-2006 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by p nut (Post 985797)
I think you just need to call up Toyota and give them your VIN.

Yep, just call Toyota corporate, give them your VIN and ask what outstanding recalls there are on the truck.

Toyota Corporate US: 1-800-331-4331

dbikeman 09-12-2006 02:44 PM

Good news. Mines due for the recall. I could use some new coils at 155k anyways

misterzee 09-12-2006 05:53 PM

Its my understanding that the recall was to make sure that no one's 4runner had springs that lifted the rear too far, thus raising the CG past spec and having their own Ford Exploder situation. So, its not about saggy springs, its about your springs possibly not saggin enuff... double check me on this...

MTL_4runner 09-12-2006 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by misterzee (Post 988193)
Its my understanding that the recall was to make sure that no one's 4runner had springs that lifted the rear too far, thus raising the CG past spec and having their own Ford Exploder situation. So, its not about saggy springs, its about your springs possibly not saggin enuff... double check me on this...

No, they were for the sagging rear end (otherwise they would have done all 4 coils, not just the rears) although the TSB was issued around the same time as the Explorer rollover issue came out.

seanz0rz 09-12-2006 06:21 PM

from auto trader.com

NHTSA Recall Number: 02V021000
Manufacturer Recall Number: SSC
Component Affected: SUSPENSION
Number of Vehicles Affected: 273743
Manufactured From: Nov 20, 1995
Manufactured To: Feb 28, 1998
Defect: ON CERTAIN 2-WHEEL-DRIVE (2WD) AND 4-WHEEL-DRIVE (4WD) 4RUNNER SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, A COMBINATION OF HEAVY LOADING (SIMULTANEOUS LOADING TO REAR GROSS AXLE WEIGHT RATING AND GROSS VEHICLE WEIGHT RATING) AND SEVERE STEERING MANEUVERS COULD CAUSE THE 2WD 4RUNNER TO LOSE DIRECTIONAL STABILITY.
Consequences: THIS MAY RESULT IN A LOSS OF CONTROL AND COULD INCREASE THE RISK OF A CRASH.
Corrective Action: DEALERS WILL REPLACE REAR SUSPENSION PARTS. ALTHOUGH THE 4WD 4RUNNERS DO NOT EXHIBIT THE HANDLING CONDITION, TOYOTA WILL RECALL THESE VEHICLES TO AVOID ANY PUBLIC CONFUSION AS TO WHICH VEHICLES SHOULD RECEIVE THE REPLACEMENT PARTS. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN FEBRUARY 28, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT TOYOTA AT 1-800-331-4331.
i cant get the nhtsa website to work for me this evening. but theres that.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

use that, when/if it becomes available again.

MTL_4runner 09-12-2006 06:25 PM

Yep, sagging was bad enough to cause steerability problems in some cases, hence the TSB change to the rears only. I can certainly vouch for that before I changed out my springs for the OMEs.