YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   4 lights across stock bumper. (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4-lights-across-stock-bumper-153022/)

psraff 09-21-2008 09:39 AM

Thanks guys. I'm really liking how it's turning out. As for the different colored lenses working, I would have to say yes, they do. Everyone knows yellow is great for fog like conditions.

Also think of this, a lot of people changed over to the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras (me included) and even though it was a much whiter white, when it comes to dusk or dawn or if there was a light rain it was hard to tell if they were on or not. Seemed like the extra black road (because it was wet) just sucked up the light. So different colors help in different conditions.

When I just had one pair of lights on I had a set of ambers on it (lights were given to me, and the ambers were the only ones I could find to buy) and those are for off-road like conditions. It was a very tame color that would light the trail. You wouldn't get any glare back towards you from bright light hitting objects close to you (trees, rocks, and such). I changed over to the yellow ones when they came in and they are much brighter\intense then the ambers. perfect to get through the fog and see some distance down the road. They make a light blue for general purpose and it's said to improve clearity. People who have them sware if you have them you wont go back to the stock clear lenses.

Anyone who lives in the snow knows there are conditions where the light will wash everything out and you have no depth perseption or even tell where objects are (anyone on a snow machine can verify that). The dark blue ones are suppose to remove that problem.

....and as for the Black LED's....
I tried to order some NightShade but Jegs wont ship the cans to me so I stopped by a auto body place and he said he will try to get some for me. I'm going to do my current taillights (even my third brakelight) and see how it comes out. If I like it then I'll upgrade to the LEDs and do the same to them.

Again, thanks for the comments on my truck!

Whitey13 09-21-2008 10:49 AM

Originally Posted by psraff (Post 50927168)
Also think of this, a lot of people changed over to the Sylvania Silverstar Ultras (me included) and even though it was a much whiter white, when it comes to dusk or dawn or if there was a light rain it was hard to tell if they were on or not. Seemed like the extra black road (because it was wet) just sucked up the light. So different colors help in different conditions.

You also have to realize that those "JDM" headlights probably ruin the light output compared to the OEM glass headlights.

Are those 100w lights?
As far as the tail lights, I think they sell a blacked out tail light so you wouldn't have to paint them.

toyota4x4907 09-21-2008 12:28 PM

Nice! I love the Lightforce lights. I have two on my '93. Same size as you got. The blue really makes a difference between in the snow (I'm in Alaska so i now all about that :hillbill: ) It's also easier on the eyes and i can see moose 10x better. mine are kind of old and dirty, though. Nice rig, btw!

olharleyman 09-21-2008 06:42 PM

I know it's a second gen but you can get one of these style PRERUNNER bars and make a small adjustment to the light mounts like I did and you can get the look you want for the lights

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...d/DSCN2766.jpg

NwRunner 09-21-2008 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Whitey13 (Post 50927215)
You also have to realize that those "JDM" headlights probably ruin the light output compared to the OEM glass headlights.

Nope, The only part he blackhoused is the outer rim (as far as i can tell in the picture) and the outer rim makes no contact with the light comming from the bulb. They might look different head on, but as far as drivers view it doesnt change.

Nice looking light! Im going to get some on my taco, but i wanna try and hide them

psraff 09-21-2008 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by toyota4x4907 (Post 50927265)
Nice! I love the Lightforce lights. I have two on my '93. Same size as you got. The blue really makes a difference between in the snow (I'm in Alaska so i now all about that :hillbill: ) It's also easier on the eyes and i can see moose 10x better. mine are kind of old and dirty, though. Nice rig, btw!

Hey buddy, I thought I was the only guy from Alaska on here. LOL Which blue ones are you talking about? They have the light blue and the dark. I'll be getting the dark when the snow flies. Everyone on here talks about front bumbers and lights so I wanted to get some pics of our semi trucks that are up here and show them our "moose catchers". I know people in the lower states have never seen anything like them.

Anyway, have a good one!

toyota4x4907 09-21-2008 11:08 PM

Originally Posted by psraff (Post 50927772)
Hey buddy, I thought I was the only guy from Alaska on here. LOL Which blue ones are you talking about? They have the light blue and the dark. I'll be getting the dark when the snow flies. Everyone on here talks about front bumbers and lights so I wanted to get some pics of our semi trucks that are up here and show them our "moose catchers". I know people in the lower states have never seen anything like them.

Anyway, have a good one!

Haha. Thats crazy. I was thinking the exact same thing, about both things. I didnt realize you were from Alaska until I saw "snowmachine" instead of "snowmobile"...then I was like..wait..pretty much only Alaskans call them snowmachines. And i was thinking "Man, I should get some shots of the big-rigs that drive the roadways in the winter with like 10 10" Lightforce and HID's". As for the blue lenses, I have the dark blue. I dont have them up here with me in Fairbanks as of right now because I forgot to grab them when I was moving out. Go figure. I think Lightforce lights is an Alaskan thing. I think like 90% of the people who have moose lights have Lightforce, whereas seeing the pics from people down in the states, I mostly see PIAA, Hellas, etc.
Hows the Kenai?

Whitey13 09-22-2008 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by NwRunner (Post 50927621)
Nope, The only part he blackhoused is the outer rim (as far as i can tell in the picture) and the outer rim makes no contact with the light comming from the bulb. They might look different head on, but as far as drivers view it doesnt change.

Nice looking light! Im going to get some on my taco, but i wanna try and hide them

Wrong. Many of the ebay style JDM headlights have a plastic lens which horribly diffuses light output compared to the OEM glass ones. That being said, I don't know if his are glass or plastic.

Matt16 09-22-2008 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by psraff (Post 50912546)

Hehe, that sort of looks like a tiara.

96redtoy 09-22-2008 02:34 PM

hey i have 4 lights two

psraff 09-22-2008 06:13 PM

Hey Whitey, yes those are 100w bulbs in them. They use the same setup as the larger 240 series. They were suppose to come out with a set of HID 170s this year, but it hasn't happened yet. They do have HID 240s, but that is way too big and too much $$$ for me.

As for my headlights, they do have the glass cover, not plastic. I have to finish adjusting them still, so I not totally sold on the light pattern yet. If I'm really not happy with them, I'll just take the OEM lights apart (already baked them to get the bulb cover thingy out) and paint them black. The only reason I bought these was (yes, they were black and...) one of my glass lenses had several holes in it from rocks.

Toy907 and I have to get some pics on here of some other rigs from up here. Besides the major "Mad Max" look most of our big rigs have, I see quite a few trucks with 2, 4, and sometimes 6 lights on them. I see one truck that I laugh at everytime I see it... It has 4 LightForce 240s on it's rollbar, and 2 (or 4) on the front. Let's just say some major overkill on that truck! But seeing 4 on a truck is pretty common up here. They like to put them behind the grill so people can't steal them.

As for the prerunner type bumper... I thought of that. But with winter coming I'm hording my money for now. I still want\need a lift and that's on my list for next year. Someday I want to change out both my bumpers. That's why I didn't mind drilling holes in my stock bumper.

Fo_SheeZy 09-22-2008 08:42 PM

Looking good, looking very good. Your new avatar pic looks sweet too!