Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 cyl blown head gasket

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 12:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 cyl blown head gasket

Hey everyone,

I started another thread about choosing a mechanic / repair shop because I need to decide what to do about my blown head gasket on my 22RE. I've been reading about the 3.0 head gasket and it sounds pretty horrible to fix and then you need to replace the studs. What is it like for the 22RE? There can't be more than 8 studs right?

Also, my head gasket went slowly, i.e., I saw I was loosing coolant, but I wasn't seeing anything unusual during my oil changes. Now I have a rather large oil leak and the top of my oil cap has a creamy brown/tan layer I need it fixed fast, it's not warm enough to walk to school yet, we just got 2'' of snow last night.

I'm some what mechanically inclined, and I have a friend who’s pretty talented. The major problem is that I'm already swamped with work. How long should it take to replace the head gasket? What kind of damage will limited driving do if I had to wait until next week?

Thanks for your help.

Erich
Old 02-07-2005, 12:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After getting all of the parts together (I replaced all of the tune up parts as well), it took my friend and I 8 hrs to do mine. Tear down to build up, this included doing the timing chain (guides we toast so I got a set of Engine Builders metal backed off of ebay). The best trick he taught me was to take the head, intake plenum / manifold off all at once leavig them attached. Saved time and didn't need to replace gaskets because we didn't take things apart. If you wan't more details I would be happy to give them. It is not a hard job if you have the space, and tools, air tools are your friend.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Contributing Member

Crap Eric, that sucks. The book cost for a HG is around $1,000 (that's what the mechanics will likely charge) and from what I know it really isn't worth paying that much. I did my timing chain because they were going to charge $1,500 in the eavenings after work two summers ago and it took me 5 week nighs and a weekend. The HG will probably take about that much time or olnger. I might be able to try and help out after midterms.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by bike4miles
Crap Eric, that sucks. The book cost for a HG is around $1,000 (that's what the mechanics will likely charge) and from what I know it really isn't worth paying that much. I did my timing chain because they were going to charge $1,500 in the eavenings after work two summers ago and it took me 5 week nighs and a weekend. The HG will probably take about that much time or olnger. I might be able to try and help out after midterms.
No kidding I'm bummed because it sat all winter break, when I could have had it worked on I definitely wont pass up any form of help. I'm swamped this week too. Thanks Miles.

Erich
Old 02-07-2005, 12:58 PM

Originally Posted by PirateFins
After getting all of the parts together (I replaced all of the tune up parts as well), it took my friend and I 8 hrs to do mine. Tear down to build up, this included doing the timing chain (guides we toast so I got a set of Engine Builders metal backed off of ebay). The best trick he taught me was to take the head, intake plenum / manifold off all at once leavig them attached. Saved time and didn't need to replace gaskets because we didn't take things apart. If you wan't more details I would be happy to give them. It is not a hard job if you have the space, and tools, air tools are your friend.
That's a good idea not to take everything apart. What parts did you need? (Other than the gasket ) I had my timing chain guide replaced 2 years ago. I'll pull out my chilton and start reading and re-reading I guess.

Here's the real question, how far can I nurse it along? I physically CAN'T do it this week, or weekend! Graduating early is starting to blow!

Erich
Old 02-07-2005, 01:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i wouldn't drive it...cylinders + coolant are a bad thing. 22R/RE has 10 head bolts from the factory, studs are nice since they're easier to align the head gasket and can be torqued much higher than head bolts, plus there's virtually no risk of screwing up the threads in the block. on the downside they'll run you about $100.

make sure the head is true before you put it back on, otherwise it shouldn't be too bad of a job.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Engine SWAP!.
Old 02-07-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by kevin444
Engine SWAP!.
LOL, I wish I'm almost finished with college (5 weeks left) and I'm looking to fix it, but not rebuild it from the ground up. Looks like I'll be getting lots of excercise walking or riding to school

Erich
Old 02-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributing Member

Yea dude, don't drive it at all untill you get it done. And hey, look outside, the snow is almost all melted already!
Old 02-07-2005, 06:16 PM

now that i have a fresh 22R in my truck, i couldn't see any real justification to swap to anything else. it's got a heck of a lot more punch than my old worn out 20R...now, if only i could open up the throttle without the engine sputtering and gasping for fuel, stupid fuel pump...
Old 02-15-2005, 08:55 PM

Well, I've been really gentle to my engine and it’s still surviving. The plan is to replace the head gasket this weekend. I have to drive it a ways to my girlfriend’s dad's place so I'm going to change the oil to make sure there is no water in it, and drive like a grandma I'm going to pass on the engine rebuild or swap because I need a newer, more reliable rig when I head up to Alaska. I’m going to clean it up and sell it for a down payment on a 96-99 4Runner.

If anyone has tips for places to scrutinize on 96-99 4Runners, I’d really appreciate. Here’s the thread about that: https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/about-buying-97-4runner-51017/

Thanks for you input guys; I'll try to take some pics. One can never have enough!

Erich
Old 02-15-2005, 11:11 PM
Contributing Member

Good luck on the install. Take some pictures for us!
Old 02-23-2005, 07:42 PM
Contributing Member

Im about to do a headgasket on my truck too. Let me know if you hit any problems along the way. This is my first time too.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:49 PM

if there isn't further damage to the engine(e.g. cracked/warped block) a head gasket shouldn't be that bad of an ordeal. the main problem would be popping the head off, it was hard enough for me to get it off the engine when it was on a stand! a big plastic hammer works pretty well here
Old 02-24-2005, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by Yamaha+Toyota=Fun
Im about to do a headgasket on my truck too. Let me know if you hit any problems along the way. This is my first time too.
Take pics if you can!

I had planned to do mine last weekend. Had the new gasket set and headed over to my girlfriends dad's. We talked to some mechanic buddies of his, one of whom is a Toyota Master Mech. and they all said it didn't sound like it was my gasket, it was actually my head. More specifically a hole in a water jacket some where. That would require a new head, $350, and then a valve job, atleast $150, then the gasket kit $80 and 1/4 labor (~$200). After all that (~ $780) I'm almost to a rebuilt engine ~$1100 and that would just make more sence.

- BUT - (and a big BUT)

I'm going to sell it anway, so dropping in a motor wouldn't increase my resale enough becuase of body damage. So I'm just driving easy and I'll sell it as is. :cry:

Erich
Old 02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
Contributing Member

Tough deal. Could your head be fixed in a machine shop? Is it warped? I'm not quite understanding. Anyway, good luck. Sounds like you will be car shoping soon.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:26 PM

I replace my headgasket about a year ago on my 90 runner w/ a 22re. I am new to engines but not stupid so I had my friend who has a race truck help me. He had the tools and the knowledge to make the job a lot easier. I took us about 12 hrs total to do the job. Defiantly leave the intake side bolted together and take it off as an entire unit. I bought engine studs but found that with the engine in the truck you can not get the head back on with the studs installed. The rear studs are too tall to get the head over (clearance issues with the firewall). Make sure that the #1 cyl is at TDC and dont let the timing chain come off the sprocket at the bottom, we used some string to hold the chain up. If the chain moves on that sprocket it can be a pain to get the timing right. Be awair that there are some tricky bolts that need to be removed and reinstalled, especially under the intake stuff. If I have to do it again I will either take the entire engine out and rebuild or do an engine swap. Good Luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Erich 870, how much are you going to sell it for? Just curious. Could be just a HG or could be worse. Never quite know until you get in there. Don't drive it though. Milky oil (presence of water) can destroy your bearings quick style. With 220K, why not just do the complete rebuild?

-Wrench
Old 02-24-2005, 11:43 PM

Miles, with out seeing my head, it's a little difficult for me to understand too, but what I'm told is that there is probably a hole in the actual head. That the aluminum had warn thin in a spot (not at the gasket seam) and its leaking. This means that I can't have it resurfaced, so its totally useless and I'd have to get a new one.

Originally Posted by wrenchmonster
Erich 870, how much are you going to sell it for? Just curious. Could be just a HG or could be worse. Never quite know until you get in there. Don't drive it though. Milky oil (presence of water) can destroy your bearings quick style. With 220K, why not just do the complete rebuild?

-Wrench
My plan was to list it at ~$2500 and let them talk me down to some where around $2000. I just changed the oil last Friday, and it didn't show ANY signs of water/coolent. About the complete rebuild: If my career situation was different, I'd probably be cheap and rebuild it and for-go buying a 97-99 4runner [DROOOOL]

-But- (here's another big one )

I'm 95% sure I'm moving up to Juneau, AK and I don't have enough time to try to rebuild it, or drop a newly rebuilt engine in. And I need a reliable vehicle.

Side note: The company is flying me up next Thursday to check it all out, so I'll post pics on the Juneau Thread I started

Erich