YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   4 cyl 4x4 3rd gen (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/4-cyl-4x4-3rd-gen-68022/)

jwbehm 09-23-2005 08:44 PM

4 cyl 4x4 3rd gen

Well, i really want a 4runner as my next vehicle, but gas prices are killing me here down south. Are the 4cyl 4x4's okay? Im sure they would be a little weak , but it will be my first car so im not sure that it would bother me.

Thanks
-Jordan

bob200587 09-23-2005 08:48 PM

alot of people say good things about the 2.7 3ZRV (i think) Supposedly its alot like the ever reliable 22RE, but its more powerful, and has more options for upgrades. My 4runner was my first car.....still is my car, and I proabably won't ever get rid of it. If you are unsatisfied with the power you can always supercharge it, since they have a TRD kit. And I'm sure if you do the usual bolt on mods it will be modestly powerful.

PO2SIMS 09-23-2005 08:53 PM

I got my 2000 4x4 4cyl Runner last summer. At first it was a slow dog, then I installed my custom air intake, header, hi-flow cat, and exhaust. Now it is really peppy and can hang w/ the v6's. Plus I still get 22-25 mpg.

4RUNR 09-23-2005 08:58 PM

I was always curious, what is the redline on such a big 4 cyl?

jwbehm 09-23-2005 09:28 PM

Wow, thats not what i was expecting to hear! Does the TRD kit require premium gas?

kyle_22r 09-23-2005 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by 4RUNR
I was always curious, what is the redline on such a big 4 cyl?

not sure. but ever heard of a 255 offenhauser? it's a 225cid DOHC 4 banger that used to be a common indy car engine back around the 50s. i think it was rated at around 400hp :saw:

redline has more to do with stroke and valvetrain mass than just displacement.

Beartracker 09-24-2005 09:07 AM

My 01 Tacoma 4x4 has the 2.7 and it zips up and down these mountains like nothing.I live in the mountains in south central WV and have to travel them all day every day.
I have the extended cab with the step side bed, truck bed tool box full of tools that weigh about #200 and I weigh #200 and it still has no problems at all.
I'm running 16"-31" Wild Country Tires tires and my ,ilage around here is 18-19 combined on and off road. When I go visit some of my flat lander friends in northen Ohio I get about 21 when running around up there.
The only thing I have done to my engine is take care of it and run 5w 30 Mobile 1 synthetic and I did the Elbow mod on the air box. 76,000 miles and the only problem I have had is blowing seals and cruded up contacts on the starter after falling in a 4' water hole while driving down a river bed. Water was coming in my rolled down window,Lol. Mike

jwbehm 09-24-2005 10:49 AM

How much did those mods cost you PO2SIMS?

PO2SIMS 09-24-2005 10:21 PM

Custom Intake tubing=Made free at work
K&N Drop in Filter=$45
LCE Header=$300
Magnaflow Bolt in Hi-Flow Cat=$160
Dynomax Super Turbo Muffler=$50
Cat back 2.25" exhaust from shop=$100
180 Themostat=$30
LCE Short Throw Shifter=$200

Having a free reving 2.7=Pricey

I personally prefer 4cyl though, and it redlines at 5500rpm, just like the 22R. Next I want to put in Cams and Cam Gears.

jwbehm 09-25-2005 07:48 AM

Alright, last question.

Could a 4cyl 4x4 4runner handle a 1" PP lift and 265/75/16 tires?

FilthyRich 09-25-2005 07:51 AM

a 4cyl 3rd gen 4r can handle 315s :great: It is all about gearing

PO2SIMS 09-25-2005 08:51 AM

If you read my signature, you would see I'm running 2.5" of lift and 33's still w/ 4.10's and plenty of power. I do plan to get 4.88's. :great:

tulsa_97SR5 09-25-2005 09:16 AM

Originally Posted by jwbehm
Well, i really want a 4runner as my next vehicle, but gas prices are killing me here down south. Are the 4cyl 4x4's okay? Im sure they would be a little weak , but it will be my first car so im not sure that it would bother me.

Thanks
-Jordan

I would strongly recommend a 5spd to go with it. Not sure 4cyl + auto would be much fun.

I liked the 4cyl in my 2nd gen so well I waited months for a 3rd gen with the 4cyl to be listed around here. Like others have said it really has enough power for normal driving. I have no lift, but running larger tires (32") without regearing. Drove it cross country twice this spring, had no issue doing 80+. Had to downshift to 4th on some hills and 4srd a couple times in west virginia. I typically get 22-23mpg highway (after adjusting for odometer being off).

Maybe it's just because there are so many fewer, but it really seems to me the 4cyl guys have a lot less engine repairs.

kyle_22r 09-25-2005 09:33 AM

well, you have to look at it this way. comparing the 3RZ-FE against the 5VZ-FE, the 4 cylinder has 1 less cylinder head, 2 less camshafts, 2 less pistons and rods, 1 less exhaust manifold, and 1 more main bearing. simplicity = reliability.

then again, it's not always true, just look at any mazda rotary's reliability :lol:

jwbehm 09-25-2005 11:27 AM

What kind of mileage would i be looking at, 250,000? I saw one for sale, 4x4 4cyl, automatic with 125k miles for $7999. Seems like a good deal, but being my first car i hesitate to get something with that much use.
thanks

PO2SIMS 09-25-2005 11:58 AM

I heavily suggest not getting a automatic!!!! To properly use a 4cyl's power in a truck you need a manual tranny. Keep searching, they are out there.

Beartracker 09-25-2005 04:45 PM

PO2SIMS: "I heavily suggest not getting a automatic!!!! To properly use a 4cyl's power in a truck you need a manual tranny. Keep searching, they are out there."

Where in the world did you ever get that idea? You guy's who only like or think that you need a standard shift in a 2.7 really git me,Lol. Nothing could be furthure from the truth.
I think the biggest reason some of these guys feel this way is because they just enjoy shifting the stick alot. That's great if it's your thing and you enjoy that.
I have driven 4x4's for many years and have had stick and auto and I'll take auto over stick any time for on the highway or off road. It's just a matter of preference but not needed at all.
Just for the ones who don't know..... you can shift an auto too,Lol. Mike

bflooks 09-25-2005 05:23 PM

i have a 98 4runner with the 3rz. it has 145k on it now. it came factory with the 16"wheels (265/70's), 5 spd, and factory 4.56 gearing! without the 4.56 gearing, i think my truck would be a bit dog'ish. however, a side effect of the gearing is that i run at about 3,000 rpm running about 75/80mph. none the less, i am getting 21-22mpg running 75-80mph. i would say to go with the 5spd. because i would hate having to downshift an auto into 2 while cruising at 40mph. it would be horrible to feel and hear. atleast the downshift in a 5spd is much much easier and much more controlled. but...if you live in the flats, then you would not have to worry about that. so, i say test both! i stumbled across mine by luck. saw it listed, test drove it, and put the money down on it. 62k, 3 years old, and i got it for $12,000. not bad for a 4x4 yotota. lol!

PO2SIMS 09-25-2005 05:53 PM

Originally Posted by Beartracker
PO2SIMS: "I heavily suggest not getting a automatic!!!! To properly use a 4cyl's power in a truck you need a manual tranny. Keep searching, they are out there."

Where in the world did you ever get that idea? You guy's who only like or think that you need a standard shift in a 2.7 really git me,Lol. Nothing could be furthure from the truth.
I think the biggest reason some of these guys feel this way is because they just enjoy shifting the stick alot. That's great if it's your thing and you enjoy that.
I have driven 4x4's for many years and have had stick and auto and I'll take auto over stick any time for on the highway or off road. It's just a matter of preference but not needed at all.
Just for the ones who don't know..... you can shift an auto too,Lol. Mike

You are right about it being a preference thing, but that's about it. No, I don't enjoy shifting, in fact it gets old at times. But, to have the total control of the vehicle, rpm, and gear ratio, manual is the only way to go. And off-road, it's hard to rock the truck or slip the clutch in an automatic. Plus you loose horsepower in the torque converter fluid. Yes, you can shift w/ an automatic, but it is not the same, and you should know that. Not to mention, manuals have a longer life span when taken care of. The guy is wondering about the power of the 2.7 3RZ, and it is a fact that the manual has more power to the wheels than an automatic. Using Bernelli's principle your engine is connected to the wheels w/ hydraulic power, while a manual's engine is connected to the wheels mechanically. If, you think you are steering the guy in the right direction w/ an automatic than give him reasons why, not just put down the guys that drive manuals.

Beartracker 09-25-2005 06:15 PM

No One is putting down the guy's who drive manuals at all. In fact I was just clearing up your put down of autos and the fact that your lacking in knowledge about the use of the workings of an auto on or off road.To suggest that you have to have a manual to get the full potential of a 4 banger is not true at all if you know how to drive. Getting in trouble half way up a steep hill with 4 cylinder manual can get some guys in deep shi$!
Years ago the auto's were no match for the standard but that has not been true for many years now. Just trying to keep the facts straight instead of misleading someone.
Nothing against you at all. If you do a little research you will see that this has been discussed many times and you will see many reasons for the auto transmission's of today. As for lasting the longest I see maore threads about stick problems and clutches than I ever see about auto tranny's. My last auto tranny lasted me 14 years and never had a bit a trouble with it.
I think we can both agree that the best thing for this guy or anyone buying a vehical like this is to drive both of them and decide for themselves. But try it off road and on before making up there mind.