Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3VZ-FE camry cams in a 5VZ-FE 3.4L!

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2010, 04:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by SnowRocker88
Ok, let me hold your hand for a second...

The 5VZ is distributorless... (EDIS)
The 3VZ has a distributor...
We're talking about putting 3VZ cams in a 5VZ motor...the 3VZ cams have a notch for the distributor to be driven by the end of the cam. The 5VZ has the casting in the heads for a distributor to be inserted but instead of having the hole for the distributor it is just solid aluminum. The head would have to be milled where the 'dizzy' would be inserted but then the 5VZ would, subsequently, have a distributor then...

And that is how I win...

Notice my wording in my previous post... "I will TRY to put a dizzy on a 5VZ using 3VZ parts"
AKA, the 5VZ doesn't yet have a distributor. But I will attempt to swap it over from the 3VZ...
I keep checking the date to see if it's April Fool's Day and you're just yanking my chain because, for the life of me, I can't see why you'd be stupid enough to TRY this.

So, if you consider milling a head, swapping cams from the 3VZ into it so you can run a distributor, go right ahead. While you're at it, fab up a new intake so you can throw a carb on it, too.

And that's how I win.

Old 02-13-2010, 07:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RobD
I keep checking the date to see if it's April Fool's Day and you're just yanking my chain because, for the life of me, I can't see why you'd be stupid enough to TRY this.

So, if you consider milling a head, swapping cams from the 3VZ into it so you can run a distributor, go right ahead. While you're at it, fab up a new intake so you can throw a carb on it, too.

And that's how I win.

Ok...I understand ur a truck person so I'll just tell you...it's much easier and cheaper to tune (with an aftermarket ecu) a dizzy car than a (especially 5VZ) EDIS system...
Old 02-13-2010, 07:48 PM

Ok...I understand ur a truck person so I'll just tell you...it's much easier and cheaper to tune (with an aftermarket ecu) a dizzy car than a (especially 5VZ) EDIS system...
Wow, I don't think I've been patronized like that before, especially from a car guy.

So, what you're saying is that all these guys who work at Lingenfelter, Callaway, Hennessy, Saleen, and the like would prefer to go back in time to a distributor-based ignition system, with its inherent drawbacks, especially at high RPMs?

When computer controlled ignitions offer infinitely more adjustments for spark timing and duration, something that a "dizzy" lacks?

Odd how backwards I must seem with my truck engine, which is oddly installed in my truck.

The gains you're suggesting are minimal compared to the amount of time, money and effort you're going to be putting into it. It is, after all, a truck.

Like Britney Spears, just because something is easier, doesn't mean it's better.
Old 02-13-2010, 07:57 PM

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/5...-please-70432/

Yes, I could dish out $1k to have LS1 COP setup or something rediculous (and a $2k+ ECU setup to control them) but dizzy is easier...do whatever YOU want, but I'm feeling my setup and you really don't have to like it...

Last edited by SnowRocker88; 02-13-2010 at 08:24 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 08:02 PM

ALSO...local "you pull it" yard I could get the parts for ~$100 and my uncle has a machine shop so milling would be free...
Old 02-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Ok...I understand ur a truck person so I'll just tell you...
ummm did it ever occur to you that this is after all... a truck forum?

and here is a very simple answer to the cam question, why in the hell would you swap 3zv-fe cams into a 5vz-fe for a better power band when you could simply have the 5vz-fe cams reground to a new profile and accomplish the same result? it would be a lot less painful.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:51 AM

No, no, let him. While I disagree with his plan and implementation, I am all for his right to make an of himself.

For all the work and trouble, the gains, if any, will be hardly worth it, but it's his right to do it.
Old 02-14-2010, 12:56 AM

Okay, so you posted a link to an 4 1/2 year old posting that said exactly nothing about actually installing a distibutor.

I'm curious as to why he's mounted his engine transversely.

No, I take it back. I don't care in the slightest.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:46 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RobD
No, no, let him. While I disagree with his plan and implementation, I am all for his right to make an of himself.

For all the work and trouble, the gains, if any, will be hardly worth it, but it's his right to do it.
of course, he has all the right to do what ever he wishes...
but post a dumb idea on our forum and he gets to hear our wonderful feedback by choice, no one forced him to post here.

snowrocker:
this is just like the other dumb thread thats going on right now, the one where this guy wants to turbo a 3vz-e. (like we haven't heard that before) what a dumb idea. for the money it takes to boost a 3vz you could have a SC'd 5vz swap. my point is that while yes this is a truck forum, there is definitely no lack of imagination around here, and truck guys have a lot more ingenuity than any rice rocket retard, give us a pile of crap and we will make it run and go places you can't take a tank. but... we have learned what works and what doesn't... and we are telling you that 3vz-fe cams and distributor are a dumb idea, by all means get working and prove us wrong.

Last edited by Tracey98277; 02-14-2010 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:23 AM
Contributing Member

Wow just wow....
Old 09-13-2011, 12:27 PM

ok time for me to get yelled at but I am kinda curious if anyone did find out if these cams will work....to the guy who wants to put a "dizzy" on a 5vz, you're retarded you will get nothing out of that. I just want to know if an after market 3vz cam will work in a 5vz and what the honest upside and down sides are. Any dynos on this?
Old 06-26-2016, 01:04 PM

New here, hi. Just putting this out here for everyone to know, I just test fitted the camry cams in my heads and they do indeed fit, now as for the timing I have a feeling the Camrys timing belt would need to be adapted to the 5vz, all that "should" need to be swapped over is the cam gears and crank gear to make this work seeing everything else is similar, possibly the oil pump too though. But heres a picture proving the cams fit in the head, but if they'll work out in the end I wont know until probably late next year when my main project is done.

P.S. the head I'm showing is the one with the distributor notch, it doesn't impede at all, only difference between the Camry and Tacoma is there is a plug there, if you removed it, you could run a distributor (why you would want to I don't know, but hey what ever floats your boat.)

Last edited by Empty_Lord; 06-26-2016 at 01:06 PM.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Empty_Lord
New here, hi. Just putting this out here for everyone to know, I just test fitted the camry cams in my heads and they do indeed fit, now as for the timing I have a feeling the Camrys timing belt would need to be adapted to the 5vz, all that "should" need to be swapped over is the cam gears and crank gear to make this work seeing everything else is similar, possibly the oil pump too though. But heres a picture proving the cams fit in the head, but if they'll work out in the end I wont know until probably late next year when my main project is done.

P.S. the head I'm showing is the one with the distributor notch, it doesn't impede at all, only difference between the Camry and Tacoma is there is a plug there, if you removed it, you could run a distributor (why you would want to I don't know, but hey what ever floats your boat.)

Any progress on the cam swap? I know this thread is old, but I also want to clarify and differentiate between the 3VZ and the 3VZFE. We are not putting the 3VZ (3.0L truck engine) cams into a 5VZ-FE. We are putting the 3VZ-FE (camry cams) into the 5VZ. Some of you don't see the point of doing this. That's fine. I however don't love how the power flattens out after 4k on my 3.4, even with the SC it feels like airflow up top will still be a pretty big limiting factor. I looked into this a while ago, I think I came across this info back then as well, but decided the characteristics of the stock 5VZ cams, and where they make power was more beneficial as I'm building a prerunner and didn't want to have to be above 3-4K to be in the power band when wringing it's neck off-road. NOW, however, I just want more power. I also love how this thing sounds when it starts to wind up. It reminds me of my buddies 300ZX-TT.

I don't care much about losing some torque if the gain is 25-35hp(NA) along with a much broader power band. I have a TRD S/C and URD 7th injector sitting on my desk waiting to be thrown on which I know will help fill out any gaps in torque left by the cam swap. My 3.4 is in a 90 SR-5 Ext. cab pickup with the front diff removed, TC GEN III Caddy Kit with king 2.5x10 remote resi IBP's. The truck was originally an R150 5sp manual, but I used the engine and auto tranny from the donor 4Runner to reduce the shock load to the components when the trucks rear tires leave the ground (and subsequently find it again). The rear axle is a 68" wide WMS-WMS RuffStuff Ford 9" full floater using D60 hubs set up with a 6x5.5 pattern, linked with 48" long trailing arms.

I feel without donating most of my body to science for funding, I'll be fairly close to what the 3.4 can borderline reliably chugg out without extreme modification or the change over to turbos. The next move would be building a 1 or 2UZ and making that work. Going to keep it Toyota no matter what.

I don't want to do any pot-stirring and I mean no disrespect if I've somehow managed it. This thread still has some great potential for info IMO.
Old 04-12-2023, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by TOY015
Any progress on the cam swap? I know this thread is old, but I also want to clarify and differentiate between the 3VZ and the 3VZFE. We are not putting the 3VZ (3.0L truck engine) cams into a 5VZ-FE. We are putting the 3VZ-FE (camry cams) into the 5VZ. Some of you don't see the point of doing this. That's fine. I however don't love how the power flattens out after 4k on my 3.4, even with the SC it feels like airflow up top will still be a pretty big limiting factor. I looked into this a while ago, I think I came across this info back then as well, but decided the characteristics of the stock 5VZ cams, and where they make power was more beneficial as I'm building a prerunner and didn't want to have to be above 3-4K to be in the power band when wringing it's neck off-road. NOW, however, I just want more power. I also love how this thing sounds when it starts to wind up. It reminds me of my buddies 300ZX-TT.

I don't care much about losing some torque if the gain is 25-35hp(NA) along with a much broader power band. I have a TRD S/C and URD 7th injector sitting on my desk waiting to be thrown on which I know will help fill out any gaps in torque left by the cam swap. My 3.4 is in a 90 SR-5 Ext. cab pickup with the front diff removed, TC GEN III Caddy Kit with king 2.5x10 remote resi IBP's. The truck was originally an R150 5sp manual, but I used the engine and auto tranny from the donor 4Runner to reduce the shock load to the components when the trucks rear tires leave the ground (and subsequently find it again). The rear axle is a 68" wide WMS-WMS RuffStuff Ford 9" full floater using D60 hubs set up with a 6x5.5 pattern, linked with 48" long trailing arms.

I feel without donating most of my body to science for funding, I'll be fairly close to what the 3.4 can borderline reliably chugg out without extreme modification or the change over to turbos. The next move would be building a 1 or 2UZ and making that work. Going to keep it Toyota no matter what.

I don't want to do any pot-stirring and I mean no disrespect if I've somehow managed it. This thread still has some great potential for info IMO.
6 Years later anyone got an answer?