YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   3rd Gen Squeaking noise (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3rd-gen-squeaking-noise-46746/)

sceptre 12-08-2004 10:58 AM

3rd Gen Squeaking noise

Does anyone have this problem? I have a 99 SR5 and when the truck is moving (normal driving over streets) i get this squeaking noise from the rear of the truck.

Any ideas? I checked my spare to make sure it's on tight anyone know if this a design flaw or something wrong with my truck.

Thanks.

rimpainter.com 12-08-2004 11:00 AM

You mean a squeak when it hits a bump? Or a timed "rotational" squeak?

sceptre 12-08-2004 11:05 AM

It squeeks when i go over speed bumps. But even on regular roads, in the truck, it get's bouncy, so when in it "bounces" it squeaks.

rimpainter.com 12-08-2004 11:06 AM

Yeah, mine does that too, but it sounds like mine is coming from the front. My best guess is a rubber bushing or spacer on the front or rear sway bar. This is something I need to look into further also. It bugs me sometimes.

sceptre 12-08-2004 11:11 AM

I'd figure that someone else might have this problem and looked into it and come up with a solution.

Any ideas on how to get my truck to stop being so bouncy? I know it's a truck, and that is the nature of the car, but I hate seeing my 16 month of son's head bouncing up and down when he is trying to sleep.

rimpainter.com 12-08-2004 11:15 AM

Well, shocks actually reduce the sudden upward motion you are describing. My Bilsteins in the rear improved the upward swing, but they did firm things up a bit.

I would look to Monroe, KYB, or Bilstein for more information on particular shocks and there specifications for your needs.

lee 12-08-2004 11:23 AM

is your cargo cover on?

the material they put on the nubs of the car cover (that goes in the slot to lock it in place) is so lame. it wears off. it happened to me and i was getting such an annoying squeak. so i got some felt from home depot and put it over the nub.

no more squeaks. :)

Roadtripr 12-08-2004 11:28 AM

Try bounce the 4runner while you are next to it to detect from where the noise originates. It could be a suspension bushing or maybe you just need to lube something

sceptre 12-08-2004 11:41 AM

Thanks for the ideas.

Lee - I'll try and see if that is the probelm. I don't think so, but i'll check.
My current solution to the problem is crank up my sub and . . . Voila . . . no squeaking.

96runner - Yes. Forgiven. Saved. And living a life on God's Grace.

FORANA 12-08-2004 11:52 AM

I have the same problem also. I changed my from sway bar bushings and that wasn't it. Still have the squeak. Mine is more like a chirping. Bugs the crap out of me. Not the noise, but not being able to figure it out. Grrrrr

lee 12-08-2004 12:01 PM

i couldnt figure out what this annoying crackling noise was for like a month.

then i decided to detail the interior one sunny day and discovered... a stupid mint wrapper between my drivers seat and the console. took a coat hanger to fish it out, but it stopped the noise!

2001Millrunner 12-08-2004 12:07 PM

I had similar sqeek for a long time. Thought it was the suspension, spare tire, fender flare etc. Found out that it's the rubber bushing that holds the hood firm. give it a few turn on each, it's gone! I felt like an idiot It sounded like a bird chirping. Hope this helps for you.

sceptre 12-08-2004 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
I had similar sqeek for a long time. Thought it was the suspension, spare tire, fender flare etc. Found out that it's the rubber bushing that holds the hood firm. give it a few turn on each, it's gone! I felt like an idiot It sounded like a bird chirping. Hope this helps for you.

Rubber Bushing in the front of the engine bay that determines the height of the hood?

Amir904 12-08-2004 12:14 PM

I had the same problem, and I fixed it the same way Ray did. It was driving me nuts, every time I would shut the driver's door, I would hear it. I would also hear it the same way you do, driving down the street.

2001Millrunner 12-08-2004 12:18 PM

Originally Posted by sceptre
Rubber Bushing in the front of the engine bay that determines the height of the hood?

YES :)

sceptre 12-08-2004 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2001Millrunner
YES :)

Thanks. I'll try that later tonight.

BTW, nice truck.

E1 12-08-2004 12:58 PM

I had that issue in the front about 2 weeks ago it was the sway bar bushings. A shot of CRC on them and no more noise, but they were really worn out so I replaced them. I broke off one stud on the bracket, but just drilled it out and used a nut and bolt to replace it.

lee 12-09-2004 07:16 AM

so what was it, sceptre?

sceptre 12-09-2004 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by lee
so what was it, sceptre?

It was the torneau cover, I also adjusted the rubber stump for the hood.
There is still a squeak every now and then, but not as much as before.

Thanks guys.

bradym239 12-09-2004 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by sceptre
It was the torneau cover, I also adjusted the rubber stump for the hood.
There is still a squeak every now and then, but not as much as before.

Thanks guys.

Mine's doing the same thing--so did you just do what lee suggested?