Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen.....can anyone set this gass issue straight?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
3rd gen.....can anyone set this gas issue straight?

Without getting into everyone's specific numbers, gas levels and miles driven............... Has anyone taken the sender issue, gauge issue and the
fuel neck level (16.5 not 18.5 gal) issue and figured out whats really wrong here?
There's also that other test to set your gas gauge or sender.

My number one gripe with the 3rd gen runner is that I'm at the gas station every 200 miles to be sure I can go places and not worry about driving out to get gas. It's pretty crazy and every trip is at least 2-3 stops.
It really seems like If I had 2 more gallons in my tank at full...........everything would seem more normal with the way the gauge reads.

So many issues........

Questions:
1- Has anyone found a way to get that 2 gallons back in our tanks without the gas fumes stinking out the charcoal cannister?

2- Does the sender gauge replacement just mask the fact that we are only working with 16.5 gallons? So now your full at 16.5 ?

3- does that other gauge reset test really do anything?

Sometimes these threads run wild with everyone's symptoms and no answers.
I'm trying to avoid that here.
I know theres a bunch of 3rd gen gurus here so are we getting closer to any answers and a more clear path we can go down when addressing this issue ?
Thanks, kenny S>

Last edited by sharrack; 02-02-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Questions:
1- Has anyone found a way to get that 2 gallons back in our tanks without the gas fumes stinking out the charcoal cannister?

don't know what you mean. Stock '99 4runner here and I can pump in 18.4 gallons when it is bone dry. I mean empty.

2- Does the sender gauge replacement just mask the fact that we are only working with 16.5 gallons? So now your full at 16.5 ?

the tank holds, and will pump out, 18.5 gallons. I have driven it 18 gallons before, to where it was sputtering...and I had to drive
really slow so the sloshing wouldn't reveal the pump and shut me down before I could creep 10 miles to a gas station.

3- does that other gauge reset test really do anything?

who knows ? the only TSB with gauges I am aware of was the instrument cluster, not the sending unit. I needed a whole new cluster up front, and then
my gas gauge became correct.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 02-02-2009 at 07:21 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:46 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
There was a recent thread here where someone mentioned the filler tube or overflow being set too low on the tank and shutting the gas pump off early.
See middle of page 2

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3...em-pics-60260/

Quote from thread:
There was also apparently a third problem this thread neglected to mention. It also effects the accuracy of the gas gauge on these vehicles and was part of the original problem. Apparently the tube that caused the gas pump to cut off is too long so it sends gas back up and shuts off the pump before the tank is full. Some of you may have noticed that if you run completely out of gas, it will only take 16.1-16.5 gallons to fill it up and it is supposed to take a little over 18.5 gallons.

I had this problem on my new 2000 (bought in Sept 1999). I returned it several times...they replaced the 3rd board, which resets the odometer also, and the sending unit. My gauge would always fall from full to 1/2 in about 30 miles. I re-calibrated mine by sitting it on a hill to fake it out and make it think there was more gas in it than there was. It made it more accurate, but I have never been able to fill it up. I have run out of gas 3 times in this vehicle.

The TSB came out after I had given up on Toyota fixing it and I did not find it until my warranty was up. I fought a little with them, even sighting it as a safety issue since I once ran out with my pregnant wife in the car on a subfreezing day. They refused to fix the problem and I was tired of dealing with it....I have just learned to live with the problem. It still pisses me off though!

This thread also has people claiming that a Odometer trip button reset test from toyota cleared up the fuel gauge issue.

Quote from thread:
Heres a TSB I found on Alldata,

Electrical EL010-99 99 & 00 4Runner

Vehicle has to be sitting on a level surface with an inclination of +/- 0.5 degrees.

1.With the ignition switch in the Off position, press and hold the trip speedometer reset button.
2. Continue pressing the reset button while turning the ignition switch to the On position.
3. Within 5 seconds of turning the ignition switch On, release the trip switch, press trip switch 3 times and on the 3rd press, hold the switch for 5 seconds. The buzzer will sound for 1 second at 800HZ.
4. After the buzzer stops, release the trip switch.
5.Press the trip switch one more time and hold for 5 seconds. Once more the buzzer will sound for 1 second at 800HZ.

So this is where much of my confusion is coming from.
Kenny S
Old 02-02-2009, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
oh yeah your gas gauge dropping to half at 30 miles was exactly my issue
that popped up at 19,000 miles. new instrument cluster fixed it.

I guess the rest of my 4runner (made nov 1998) is fine and not one of
those with neck issues or otherwise.

I think nothing will fix your gas gauge except a new instrument cluster, 'cuz
it sounds just like my original problem. but you did and still have the probelm so...I am just noise here, no real help...

you can get a scangauge II, and start using it, and once it is calibrated it will
always let you know how many miles u have left before empty.

Last edited by BigBallsMcFalls; 02-02-2009 at 10:16 AM.