YotaTech Forums

YotaTech Forums (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/)
-   95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/)
-   -   3rd Gen 4Runner Ignition lock cylinder (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/3rd-gen-4runner-ignition-lock-cylinder-306938/)

BMJ 02-09-2019 07:53 AM

3rd Gen 4Runner Ignition lock cylinder

Early morn 8:00am visit to the O'Reilly's for a new battery for the SC300. I get it loaded and get ready to leave, key in, ignition lock is locked, won't budge.I move the steering wheel, Park selector is locked in P. Tried my spare key, I carry a spare key for I have locked myself out enough time to do this. It did not work.
So Sat at the O'Reilly's on the Android looking at posts for 15 minutes here on YotaTech and well, if it is the Ignition cylinder gone south, I was in the right parking lot to order it! Still, if so, car has to be either seen here in the parking lot by a locksmith for I did not have any tools ect. I was mentally adding up the $$ and time sitting here. I thought, well time for some lock lubricant as a last ditch effort. Same guy who sold me the battery said " Your back already". I explained what had happened and never left their parking lot. 4 pesos later and with some Gumout lock cylinder deicer/lubricant, I spray twice, insert the key and removed once and it turned nicely. I repeated. Working now!!! Easier to turn too!.
I advise lubing the lock cylinder 2-4 time yr for an older mileage 188k 3rd Gen based on this experience. I'm just going to leave the can in the rear storage area of the 4Runner.
Hopefully a helpful FYI.
BryanJ

75w90mantraN 02-09-2019 09:20 AM

Nicely done. Thanks for the tip!

How much deep in the wallet now...haha.

aowRS 02-10-2019 12:22 PM

I replaced my original ignition cylinder last year with a Toyota piece. This after having a few near misses over a month or two.

It takes about ten minutes to replace...

Andreas

83 02-12-2019 05:51 AM

Good call. Mine got stuck a couple years ago. From perfect to not being able to move at all. Google searching told me to give it a good smack with a hammer, on the back of the key straight into the ignition; a firm but not too hard smack.

That got it free, so I drove straight to the parts store and got a new one. Unfortunately it was either buy a complete keyed kit from Toyota or just replace the ignition cylinder so I went with the cheap option. Now I have to deal with two keys, on for the doors and gas door and one for ignition. Oh well.

I’ve found my truck really starting to feel it’s age lately. It runs strong and smooth, but things like locks and latches are starting to nickel and dime me.

83 02-12-2019 07:51 AM

I've also recently taken out both door lock cylinders and the gas cap lock and lubricated the crap out of them. They were all getting sticky, but the gas cap especially has had me worried more than a few times over the last couple winters that I was gong to need a pry bar if I wanted to fill my tank...Would be kind of fun if the key broke off trying to get gas, too...

Replacement is probably inevitable, but like the rest of the parts on these trucks, general maintenance extends the life a long ways.