Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 4runner No power to the fuel pump after body swap

Old 05-03-2019, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 4runner No power to the fuel pump after body swap

Hello fellow Yota enthusiasts. So just as the post is titled, no power to the fuel pump after body swap on a 2000 4runner. Some additional very important details .. The 4runner is the donor for its entire drive train. Literally all components minus the airbag setup, since a 1978 ( hilux/rn28 )pickup is now mounted on the 4runner frame with other extensive body mount fabrication of course. The swap includes the entire under dash harness as well as engine harness for what is intended, as a plug and play application. With some research, a member stated lack of airbag connection can c8ut signal to the fuel pump circuit.
A good fact on this, applying direct battery power to the fuel pump runs the engine. Otherwise, the only voltage confirmed at the 5 pin fuel pump terminal is around 5 volts which I believe may be for the sending unit. I have just started my research on this issue today and look forward to knowledgeable responses. Those of you familiar with the 5VZ FE setup, please throw your 2cents in on what would cause this issue. What are some troubleshooting tips some of you may have? I'm also currently searching for ecu and fuel pump pinouts so I can begin continuity testing .

Thanks for the font heads up..

Last edited by TOYTRUCKS4LIFE; 05-05-2019 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Text
Old 05-05-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts
Well my original thought was you forgot to plug in the connection under the passenger seat, but you said you have sender power so that rules that out.

What model was the ‘00 you started with? I may have the schems at home.
Old 05-05-2019, 01:09 PM

Thanks for the reply fierohink. Yes, the terminal for the fuel pump plug is attached.
Here is a better detailed description on what the situation is. I will also add, the 4runner was equipped with ABS that
I am also doing away with.

So, my project is a body swap for an RV build. The donor is a 2000 2wd limited edition 4runner, that I should add ran well prior to disassembly. The body I am mounting on the 4runner frame is a 78' pickup. Strange choice, I know ..but it struck my interest.
Anyway, the problem so far is no power to the fuel pump. I am using the entire under dash factory harness. Many behind dash items won't be used which is obviously why I'm having this issue but there "should" be a bypass assumably. No airbag components are being used which I think may be the culprit in conjunction with the circuit open relay. Also, I chose to do away with the factory air intake box so I'm going with an after market high flow. I've managed to connect vacuum lines and MAF as I have a very similar setup on my 97 Tacoma 5vz as well and really like the sound. Another strange thing is the (newly replaced, prior to disassembly )alternator is no longer putting out any voltage ( zero). No power to the fuel pump, but it will start and run by supplying 12 volts and ground directly to the pump . Please reply with whatever other info you need to help troubleshoot .. and happy Sunday. =0)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:10 PM

So, my project is a body swap for an RV build. The donor is a 2000 2wd limited edition 4runner, that I should add ran well prior to disassembly. The body I am mounting on the 4runner frame is a 78' pickup. Strange choice, I know ..but it struck my interest.
Anyway, the problem so far is no power to the fuel pump. I am using the entire under dash factory harness. Many behind dash items won't be used which is obviously why I'm having this issue but there "should" be a bypass assumably. No airbag components are being used which I think may be the culprit in conjunction with the circuit open relay. Also, I chose to do away with the factory air intake box so I'm going with an after market high flow. I've managed to connect vacuum lines and MAF as I have a very similar setup on my 97 Tacoma 5vz as well and really like the sound. Another strange thing is the (newly replaced, prior to disassembly )alternator is no longer putting out any voltage ( zero). No power to the fuel pump, but it will start and run by supplying 12 volts and ground directly to the pump . Please reply with whatever other info you need to help troubleshoot .. and happy Sunday. =0)
Old 05-05-2019, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by TOYTRUCKS4LIFE

Last edited by TOYTRUCKS4LIFE; 05-05-2019 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Black on black font
Old 05-05-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 568 Likes on 448 Posts
The text came out black, so it is not readable on the desktop version.

Can you or a moderator change the text color to "automatic" so the text will show up in both desktop and mobile versions?
Old 05-08-2019, 05:18 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Hah. I guess I'm not the only person who has had this exact thought - swapping a classic mini-Toyota RV onto a more modern 3rd gen chassis.
Old 05-09-2019, 05:32 AM

Hey there Jomoka,

Yes, I finally rounded up a 3rd gen 4runner and the swap is going well. I finally figured the no power to fuel pump issue. It was lacking ground at the multi pin terminal that runs along side the fuel pump terminal harness that mounts under the rear seat.